Oregon 600 goes to blank screen

I've been having an issue with my Oregon 600.  After selecting a cache and hitting the "go to" button the map page screen comes up.  Then if I hit the back button and select "show Description" I get a blank page white scrren lock up.  Can't go forward or back.  Oddly, this only occurs on some caches so not sure what makes some work and some not.  Any thoughts out there?

edexter

9 minutes ago, on4bam said:

How do you load the GPS? It may have to do with "special characters" in the GPX file.

You might want to test this by deleting all caches (GPX and GGZ) on your unit and loading just the cache that lock up the GPS.

Also be sure to boot the Oregon after removing old gpx/ggz files and before loading new files 

Also make sure the firmware is up to date.

After the 600 was discontinued, Garmin issued an update which resolved a lot of the issues I had with it (blank screens, lockups).

I load my 600 with GSAK, so special characters were stripped out, and it would still lock up requiring a battery pull to get it working again.

20 hours ago, edexter said:

I've been having an issue with my Oregon 600.  After selecting a cache and hitting the "go to" button the map page screen comes up.  Then if I hit the back button and select "show Description" I get a blank page white scrren lock up.  Can't go forward or back.  Oddly, this only occurs on some caches so not sure what makes some work and some not.  Any thoughts out there?

edexter

Which caches?  There was a local one that used to crash my Oregon 650 on a cache description that had developed some strange symbols after a database problem.

I have the current firmware, but I could test it anyway.

2 hours ago, BlackRose67 said:

I load my 600 with GSAK, so special characters were stripped out, and it would still lock up requiring a battery pull to get it working again.

Yes, loading a GPS with GSAK will take care of most if not all special characters that mess up a GPS.

Thanks guys, I will try reloading the caches that lock up by themselves after clearing everything out.  I generally use GSAK but not always so I'll reload the problem cache using that and double check the software and firmware updates.

edexter