Geocoin found "not registered in system"

kt.16

I found a Washington Montessori School geocoin that has a geocaching.com  tracking number on it but when I try to log it, the message I get is that it is not registered in the system. Would appreciate help on what to do next!  Thanks!!

20 minutes ago, kt.16 said:

Would appreciate help on what to do next!  Thanks!!

If you are sure about the tracking code you entered... the geocoin might not be Activated yet.

First... someone dropped the geocoin in the cache as a gift to other to Activate on their profiles... or could have been only a mistake.

If you can guess whom drop it by reading the previous logs on the page of the cache where you retrieved this geocoin, you may try to contact the geocacher and ask what was the real intention; and proceed accordingly.

As a last resort you may Activate this geocoin in your name.

• Helpful 1

Did you make a decent log about the find, in case the owner made a mistake? Post no tracking number, but photos or descriptions are fine.

Where did you find the Geocoin? What was the coin's condition? Was in brand new, still sealed in its coin flip? Is it a new cache, maybe an "FTF Prize" kind of thing? Are there any other clues?

If it seems to be intended for travel (it's not mint-in-box brand new as sold), or even if it is, you could try to find the cacher that placed it. That could require a lot of detective work. Sometimes cachers obtain a Geocoin and drop in into a cache, not knowing there's also an “activation” process. Sometimes it's a gift.

Edited by kunarion
9 minutes ago, RuideAlmeida said:

As a last resort you may Activate this geocoin in your name.

+1

Another option, if it's a nice Geocoin that you may keep, is to not activate it.  At least not yet.  There's no requirement to "activate" a Geocoin, and you can opt to leave it unactivated if it is not to be used in the game.  There's no hurry anyway.  If I found one without an included "This is a brand new Geocoin swag for trade" kind of note, I'd try for a while to see if the person who bought it would like to activate it and see it travel.  Your mileage may vary.   :)

Edited by kunarion
  • Upvote 1
4 hours ago, kt.16 said:

I found a Washington Montessori School geocoin that has a geocaching.com  tracking number on it but when I try to log it, the message I get is that it is not registered in the system. Would appreciate help on what to do next!  Thanks!!

Could it simply be an error, and swapping I for L,  O (oh) for 0 (zero), or similar fixes it? 

- That's the most common issue, mistaking one character for another.  The second lately is in the TO forgetting to activate it. :)

5 hours ago, kt.16 said:

Is it offering to let you activate it, or is it saying that the tracking number you entered is not a valid number?  

Does the coin have an inscription about being trackable at geocaching.com?

• Helpful 1

Ok.. The back does say trackable at Geocaching.com.  I tried to substitute the O for zero, didn't work.  I wish I could say I remember where I picked it up.  I came across it today in my basket of pathtags.  Thinking I picked it up, tried to log it, didn't work and set it aside.  (Yes, BAD ME...) I tried to search the name Washington Montessori School.... Nothing.  Tried to activate and retrieve my activation code... got the response that it is not in the system.   It is in a plastic sleeve, but nothing else is with it.   

1 hour ago, azzo7777 said:

can i have a pathtag 

Of course. Just visit the pathtag main page (https://www.pathtags.com/) and buy your own one(s).

Of course you can trade them for stuff (at least of the same value) if you find them in caches.

Some cachers may present you one of them but I do not think that a short and anonymous post in a forum will make them do so... Perhaps you can add some details to your question?

And by the way, adding a question mark to a question makes your post look like "you mean it serious".

Jochen

3 hours ago, azzo7777 said:

can i have a pathtag

You don't say if you're looking to create and buy any, or if you can keep one found.

We're not really supposed to be talking about a competing product here.  

Unlike geocoins,  pathtags are considered swag, like anything else in the container you'd trade for.

On ‎6‎/‎17‎/‎2019 at 7:39 PM, kt.16 said:

Ok.. The back does say trackable at Geocaching.com.  I tried to substitute the O for zero, didn't work.

If you type a Tracking Code that is not recognized, you will be sent next to the "Search Trackables" page, not to be confused with the "Trackable Search" page.  This is important to note because if you're trying a bunch of random numbers, O for 0 or whatever, that plan could only work while on that first page.  You have to manually return to "Trackable Search" for every attempt, or it won't work. 

Edited by kunarion