Mystery officer added to my group

I have a Waymarking group (pokemon sightings) and after an officer quit the group, suddenly a new one appeared who is a person I do not know. I did not add them. Is this an automatic function? They don't appear to be a person who added a lot of waymarks to the group. I sent them a message to see what they know of it, and they are welcome to be an officer if they desire since we do need another one,  but mostly I am mystified as to how it happened.   The group is active and waymarks promptly approved etc. The person never contacted me asking to be an officer.

1 minute ago, carleenp said:

I have a Waymarking group (pokemon sightings) and after an officer quit the group, suddenly a new one appeared who is a person I do not know. I did not add them. Is this an automatic function? They don't appear to be a person who added a lot of waymarks to the group. I sent them a message to see what they know of it, and they are welcome to be an officer if they desire since we do need another one,  but mostly I am mystified as to how it happened.   The group is active and waymarks promptly approved etc. The person never contacted me asking to be an officer.

I would think that the regular members get bumped up when an officer quits, but that's just a guess. Since I'm not a member I can't see the list. Can you? 

6 minutes ago, carleenp said:

I joined just to see. You have a big list of regular members! My guess is someone automatically got bumped. Someone who knows for sure will post soon!

20 minutes ago, carleenp said:

Technically, your group is called Pikachu Sightings (not pokemon), and if I remember correctly, you must have a minimum of three officers in your Category.  My guess is the promotion is automated.  Looking at the "call number" assigned to your Officers, you being one, looks like number two quit at some point, Cheeseheads is three and sounds like four quit based on what you say, promoting number five.  I'm the 15th member, and my call number is 18, so it looks like a couple of members have left on their own.

The following information is from the FAQ if you'd prefer promoting someone else:

How do I demote an Officer?

Once a Group member has been promoted to Officer status, you cannot demote him or her without calling an Officer Vote. To call a vote, simply click on his or her username on the Group details page and then click Demote This Member. Enter your reasons for demoting the member in the provided textbox and submit your request. An email notification of a pending vote will be sent to all other Officers providing them an opportunity to vote on the issue. A 66% majority among your Group Officers is required for the vote to pass.

• Helpful 1
2 minutes ago, Touchstone said:

Technically, your group is called Pikachu Sightings (not pokemon), and if I remember correctly, you must have a minimum of three officers in your Category.  My guess is the promotion is automated.  Looking at the "call number" assigned to your Officers, you being one, looks like number two quit at some point, Cheeseheads is three and sounds like four quit based on what you say, promoting number five.  I'm the 15th member, and my call number is 18, so it looks like a couple of members have left on their own.

The following information is from the FAQ if you'd prefer promoting someone else:

I see the group title of "pokemon". 

2 minutes ago, carleenp said:

Sorry. Yes, it is Pikachu sightings.

That's the category name. But your original post said: 

1 hour ago, carleenp said:

The group is "pokemon".

16 hours ago, carleenp said:

Double check what Permissions you have given to your Officers.

If they have been given permission to "recruit new members",  will that also allows them to promote members to Officer status without a vote?

• Upvote 1
4 hours ago, 8Nuts MotherGoose said:

Double check what Permissions you have given to your Officers.

If they have been given permission to "recruit new members",  will that also allows them to promote members to Officer status without a vote?

I asked the other Officer if he promoted them and he did not. The FAQ makes it sound like only I can do so. But I bet it was some sort of automatic thing not covered in the FAQ. If I don't hear back from the person promoted in a few days, I'll recruit another officer and then set up the vote to demote them.

Edited by carleenp
1 hour ago, carleenp said:

I asked the other Officer if he promoted them and he did not. The FAQ makes it sound like only I can do so. But I bet it was some sort of automatic thing not covered in the FAQ. If I don't hear back from the person promoted in a few days, I'll recruit another officer and then set up the vote to demote them.

Why???? That's an awfully abrupt demotion! For a category that is doing fine and waymarks are being approved.

• Upvote 1
2 hours ago, carleenp said:

Yes, I know. As I said, I misspoke. Group is Pokémon, Category is Pikachu Sightings. 

I apologize for not being more clear. I was trying to say that there was no reason for you to apologize because you were right from the very beginning! Your original post was correct. I'm sorry that I didn't express that better. :)

17 hours ago, Max and 99 said:

Why???? That's an awfully abrupt demotion! For a category that is doing fine and waymarks are being approved.

My assumption was that if I didn't hear from them they were likely inactive or uninterested and I also would prefer active accounts as officers even though in reality I always approve the waymarks rather quickly.  I also don't want to make anyone be an officer without their permission.  Anyway, I did hear from them. They had no idea that the group/category even existed. I'm waiting for them to respond as to whether they want to stay as an officer or if they want me to demote them and find someone else.  I'll do whichever they prefer.

Edited by carleenp