Changing eMail address

Hi I'm trying to change back to an email address I was using previously. Changed it as I was having issues after making some adjustments to the privacy settings which sent everything off kilter. Signed in with my Apple account but would prefer not to use it, Would prefer to revert back to previous email address but even though it is not showing up in Settings, the system tells me the emali address is already in use. I can't see it in use anywhere.... Help would be greatly appreciated! 

The only way I see how is probably the same path you used. On Geocaching.com first page see the checkmark/carat beside your user name on top right, elect that checkmark/carat symbol , then on the left side is a menu, select email preferences. then supposedly you can add an email. If you can have more than one validated and in use at the same time I have no idea.

Does seem to me that if you had a validated  email  before and did not remove it the system should recognize it. Maybe there is a time fact that does not recognize names after a period of non-use, not sure why though.