A nice PDF output from a .GPX or List?

gginnj

Before I start putting hours into a utility to import a .GPX file and create a PDF document from it

that would be a listing of the caches and other information about the cache.

What I usually do is create a local list for areas that I'm visiting - but it might be nice to be able

to print out that list and use it while caching - decide which ones to hit - makes notes, etc for later logging.

I want to make a binder of local areas for caching for the summer - and just bringing up a list and

doing a Ctrl P to print the page just doesn't give enough or formatted nicely for what I want to do.

When you create a PQ and then view the PQ contents - that has a little more information but again, there

isn't any way to make a nice document out of it.

Granted these aren't things the phone apps would need, but rather should be options for the main geocache

website page - there are not print options - only PQ .GPX files.

Thanks

GG

That would be cool.  Perhaps something similar to the way the Chrome plug-in "Geoprinter" does it, but with the addition of a blank box for notes.  If you have a "Print To PDF" printer set up, that page prints great!

I do a lot of that on my phone. I use offline "Lists" to organize cache hunts, and have whole areas loaded on my handheld GPS, so I can switch devices without manually typing everything.  But for a very winding park trail a couple of years ago, I hand-wrote the expected caching sequence (not in numerical order), so a printed list (or PDF sent to the phone, or better yet, a List organized as I plan to hunt it) would have been pretty sweet!  But on such a trail, I also make a lot of notes about TBs I pick up and drop, cache condition, and some things that are not actually for "logs", they're just notes to myself.

Untitled-gp1.jpg

Edited by kunarion
  • Upvote 1
2 hours ago, coman123 said:

Use Easy GPS

I downloaded EasyGPS - unless I'm missing something, or I need the non-free version of the software - it doesnt look like you can print a listing of the caches in the GPX.

Granted, I only spent a couple minutes looking at it....

GG

The answer is always GSAK ... :D

GSAK for a grid view, but for printing out an individual caches page where your main focus is the text, it is a bit of a pain as you get a lot of empty space and things you probably don't need , as it gives you a condensed version of the HTML

So when you are only interested in the text from the cache page,  Easy GPS provides an answer  . Select the cache, select the box with the cache info showing , then go to file / print preview /print. It is the only function I ever use Easy GPS for , everything else about it is beaten hands down by GSAK.

2 hours ago, cghove said:

Cachetur.no let's you plan your caching trips much better then with just a gpx or a plain list on geocaching...

I'm also looking into cachetur - looks like you can't migrate your existing geocaching lists into their lists however. I don't like having to maintain lists on two sites. Unless I am not using the site correctly. 

GG

1 hour ago, gginnj said:

I'm also looking into cachetur - looks like you can't migrate your existing geocaching lists into their lists however. I don't like having to maintain lists on two sites. Unless I am not using the site correctly. 

GG

Yes you can....

Screenshot_20190614-182647_Samsung Internet.jpg

1 hour ago, cghove said:

Basicly once you start to har cachetur, you don't need the list on geocaching...

I can't find any reference to an edit with a drop down list? I created a test trip - and then created a test list thinking it would then be an option.

I'm using the website of cachetur not the phone app .

Even the site's help says the same thing - but I can't seem to find it.  Is there a "premier" version of the accounts?

Thanks

1 minute ago, gginnj said:

I can't find any reference to an edit with a drop down list? I created a test trip - and then created a test list thinking it would then be an option.

I'm using the website of cachetur not the phone app .

Even the site's help says the same thing - but I can't seem to find it.  Is there a "premier" version of the accounts?

Thanks

never mind --- now I see it....

• Upvote 1
2 minutes ago, gginnj said:

never mind --- now I see it....

Yeah.. no the website's the only place to do the planing (I only had my phone available, when i did the screenshot, from my phone's browser), the app is just a "digital printed trip", it's great for live updates of ETA's...

8 minutes ago, gginnj said:

Is there a "premier" version of the accounts?

No cachetur don't have premium "subscriptions", it require a premium membership at geocaching to function, but cachetur itself is only run on voluntary donations...

3 minutes ago, cghove said:

Yeah.. no the website's the only place to do the planing (I only had my phone available, when i did the screenshot, from my phone's browser), the app is just a "digital printed trip", it's great for live updates of ETA's...

What I do like about the printing of the lists using is that the map marks which cache it is by number which you can reference back to the listing.

This isn't that bad and most likely will work.  Shame it can't  read the geocache list without having to re-import if changes are made.  I tend to

multiple apps and sites - cherry picking the best of each - but when one isolates itself that becomes an issue to me in usage.

But it'll have to play more with the site to really see what it can do and how it will help

GG