Hiding a cache as a post on a public notice board

Lunaleroy

Hello guys, 

Recently I have been introduced to geocashing and it really amazes me. Of course, I want to hide my own cache now too. So I thought why not hide a cache on one of the most obvious places in the city - a notice board. I would put the logbook into a transparent film where it's protected from rain and just pin it there. I think it would be hard to find because no one expects it there, BUT what do you think? Is that a good hide? 

There used to be a cache in London which did this - but it had a theme which is what made it so popular. The response to its final loss shows that - and you should note that the A4 log sheet was replaced 55 times over its lifetime.

Nowadays would probably not be in line with guidelines, which is OK with me. This had its time. If this sort of thing was commonplace then it would have been boring - it's because it was in a great location and had a fantastic theme that it worked.

I guess if you could find somewhere where a theme would work you might, just might, convince your reviewers that it was a cache that they could approve.

You could do it as the first stage of a multi-cache.  A sheet of paper with something funny written on it, with tear-off numbers - which are coordinates instead of phone numbers.  Then hide a real cache nearby at those coords.

Be prepared to maintain it a lot.

Edited by Viajero Perdido
  • Upvote 2
2 hours ago, Touchstone said:

One of the first questions I always ask myself when I'm hiding a cache nowadays, is why am I bringing people to this location?  I rarely hide urban caches nowadays, as it does not provoke the types of Find logs that I like to read.

Agreed.

- The OP is  progressing from " : "  to an actual log now, so might be considering that.   :)

On ‎6‎/‎12‎/‎2019 at 3:33 PM, Lunaleroy said:

... So I thought why not hide a cache on one of the most obvious places in the city - a notice board. I would put the logbook into a transparent film where it's protected from rain and just pin it there. I think it would be hard to find because no one expects it there, BUT what do you think? Is that a good hide? 

I wouldn't think so,  but noticed you've found some containers that probably wouldn't make it most places we've been. 

Some found have been around a while , and didn't look further to see if it's CO maintenance or a "community" effort.

- I guess your hide style might be in line with many urban hides these days.  Never considered a nice container in a park? 

I would think if the public's right at GZ most times, you can probably expect one heck-of-a-lot of maintenance. 

I'd say maybe cache a while longer,  hopefully finding more than just urban micros to mix things up a bit.  

If you want to stick with your original plan, be sure to at least attach a baggie behind your  "film"  to stay within guidelines. 

Good luck.   :)

I think it could be cool! You would have to make it appear to be a notice for something really really boring. Like a laminated business card for a service nobody cares about. Then tuck the log in the sleeve on the back side of the card.

Or a missing pet poster, a la Hearts in Atlantis.

Even then it will probably get muggled a lot, just have it near your home so you can check it every day?

-edit: I don't think ALL caches have to be in inspirational places... I mean, if I haven't been there before, it's interesting just because I haven't been there and I wouldn't have gone there otherwise.  But I'm a total noob, ha.

Edited by stevnated
On 6/16/2019 at 4:18 AM, Touchstone said:

I rarely hide urban caches nowadays, as it does not provoke the types of Find logs that I like to read.

But there are so many nice urban places to bring people to. The historic church, the museum, the art gallery, the road with the best coffee shops, the view over the town/city, the great graffiti that only the locals know about and the tourists will never find but will now with a cache there. One of the best set of urban caches I ever did was in Wellington, NZ, because most of the caches took me to somewhere interesting - a sculpture, an historic building, etc; places as a tourist not familiar with the city I might not have found without these caches. I had a lovely walk around the centre of the city and really enjoyed it; thinking, who needs a guide book to show me this city when there are these urban caches in such great places, showing me the places the locals know, but I as a tourist might not have known, except for geocaching.

• Upvote 2
10 hours ago, stevnated said:

Like a laminated business card for a service nobody cares about.

Until someone comes along who does care about it.

Maybe you could have a card for a service people might use, but have the card itself discourage people from following up. Like a card for someone who does "editing and proofreding".

• Funny 2
10 hours ago, stevnated said:

You would have to make it appear to be a notice for something really really boring. Like a laminated business card for a service nobody cares about. Then tuck the log in the sleeve on the back side of the card.

I put this card on a bulletin board at work, and someone removed all the "expired ads", yet dutifully saved this card.  And it's still on the board. :lol:

IMG_0356.jpg

It seems like a suitably undesirable service to feature in a cache idea.

Edited by kunarion
  • Funny 4