Away for a while What happened to some of my finds

28 minutes ago, Mvillian said:

I was not active for a cpl years and when I came back I noticed my finds had went from 473 to 451 what happened??

Maybe you found some virtuals, earthcaches, or challenge caches whose requirements weren't met and so the COs deleted  your logs? Just a possibility.

• Upvote 1

Seems either of the above possible.    COs doing maintenance maybe.    :)  

We check logs time-to-time, and have asked a few people "which found log do you want to keep" (when you could have multiple finds).

- Some people were having issues with phones, where they didn't think it went through, and ended up having six finds on one cache.  ;)

• Upvote 2

According to your public stats. You've found 456 plus 14 benchmarks There is an asterix that says benchmarks are not included in your total. 456+14=470. Just guessing maybe benchmarks used to be included, was before my time.

For the missing three, all the above posts are possible. You can try searching your logs to see if the numbers match.Project-gc agrees with GS.

But my opinion it's not really about the numbers. Just go have fun. You can't do anything with the virtual smiley face. Go out and find 20 more and exceed that old total get some exercise and above all have a great time.

• Upvote 1

NO none of these scenarios are correct and far from it and sound foolish to me! like I did not know benchmarks were not caches and when I logged any cache it was legit in every way and certainly did not have multiple logs none of these make any sense at all!

1 hour ago, Goldenwattle said:

If you had logged a find twice maybe the duplicate was deleted. I do that, if someone logs twice. I like to think it was an accident.

There was a problem a few years back when logging from a phone app. If reception was marginal and the app didn't get an acknowledgment back from the server, it'd repeatedly resend the log, resulting in multiple logs being recorded that the sender was unaware of. This was eventually "fixed" by blocking more than one find log on a cache.

In this scenario, someone after being absent for a period reports an apparent discrepancy in their finds - there would be two simple explanations: the finds were deleted or the absentee is just wrong about the recollection of their count.

• Upvote 1
2 minutes ago, lee737 said:

In this scenario, someone after being absent for a period reports an apparent discrepancy in their finds - there would be two simple explanations: the finds were deleted or the absentee is just wrong about the recollection of their count.

And when said person heaps abuse on those trying to help, a third possibility inevitably springs to mind.

• Upvote 2
  • Funny 1
5 hours ago, cerberus1 said:

Well, not much to go on, and folks are really just trying to help.    It's okay, I for one won't make that mistake again.  :)

Yes, so do I.

Time to ignore this rude user:

https://forums.geocaching.com/GC/index.php?/ignore/&id=199016

Hans

• Upvote 1

You should have received an email to say your log had been deleted. I just received one for that very reason; a CO deleted my NM log. Such a 'rude' (not)? log I wrote to tell them their cache had been muggled. I wrote, " Appears to have been muggled. Sorry, bad news. " The CO deleted it. Very annoying? and I messaged them to say I found it so and to ask them why they deleted it, and that they didn't need to, as their OM log cancelled this out.

Anyway, rant over, and back to this. If your logs were deleted you should know about this. You would have received emails.

38 minutes ago, Goldenwattle said:

You should have received an email to say your log had been deleted. I just received one for that very reason; a CO deleted my NM log. Such a 'rude' (not)? log I wrote to tell them their cache had been muggled. I wrote, " Appears to have been muggled. Sorry, bad news. " The CO deleted it. Very annoying? and I messaged them to say I found it so and to ask them why they deleted it, and that they didn't need to, as their OM log cancelled this out.

Anyway, rant over, and back to this. If your logs were deleted you should know about this. You would have received emails.

There is a possibility that since the OP was not active for a couple years, they might have just ignored all Geocaching related emails and maybe didn't see the log deletion notifications amongst them. Just a thought.

Apologies if this is another BOGUS idea. 

Edited by Max and 99
  • Funny 1
18 minutes ago, Max and 99 said:

There is a possibility that since the OP was not active for a couple years, they might have just ignored all Geocaching related emails and maybe didn't see the log deletion notifications amongst them. Just a thought.

Apologies if this is another BOGUS idea. 

I thought of that too, but that doesn't mean they weren't informed their logs were deleted...if that's what happened.

"Apologies if this is another BOGUS idea. " I don't understand. Have I missed something?

Ha, ha, re my previous example, now the person who deleted my NM is denying it. I sent them a copy of the log I received. I quote, " Your log for Cache name has been deleted by CO name'" They wrote, " And while we're on the topic, I guess some people don't like it when the shoe is on the other foot. So you can go use your attitude on somebody who gives a dadgum. " (dadgum wasn't the word...they wrote dam...n) Some time ago, so vague about this, but I think they are referring to a claim they made on my cache, when they didn't find it, but found a dropped empty lunchbox about 20 metres away from. I think they must have refused to change their log to DNF and I likely deleted it.

Edited by Goldenwattle