Starting a new Group and Categories

I have returned after some years away, to Waymarking, now retired and finding the time to do and learn about new things. I have found Waymarking a good tool get out and about new areas to  learn more.

I am located in the South West of England

The questions are:-

As of June 2019 is there/ will there be sufficient uptake on visits and postings?

I am currently posting new Categories within other Groups, but I wonder who or when will there be a visitor?

I have posted several over the years with only a few actual visiting, what I would consider well known locations, I appreciate it is a numbers game and we all Waymark for different reasons (collectors of one or another Category etc)

Can Geocache HQ publish regional posts, hits, uptakes - regional statistics not national?

For example How many "active Waymarkers /visitors within a region..

What is Geocache HQ doing to promote Waymarking? 

There are no links between the two - Geocaching and Waymarking, why not??

To consider the time and effort on setting up a Group/Categories and then to managing it

Achievement is measured by effort and results- If I create a Group and subsequent Categories, which are accepted, 

Will it be noticed? 

My current idea for a Group and the Categories therein, although local to me, has the potential for worldwide responses. As a consequence would like some reassurances to proceed.

I look forward to all of your thoughts

You will receive some interesting if disappointing answers to your questions here.  Concerning visits to your waymarks, in many cases it is likely that your published waymark will receive zero visits.  Many waymarkers focus only on creating waymarks.  Some of us visit more than we post but I think we are rare animals.  For me, I am three times more likely to visit than to post. 

If you wish to pursue the numbers game, focus on creating waymarks and/or focus on visiting  waymarks created by other waymarkers.   As far as I know, there is no comparative tracking of the number of visits to our waymarks.  The following link includes plenty of statistics.

http://Waymarking.altervista.org/

http://www.Waymarking.com/statistics.aspx?f=1

On the above link, you can see the total number of waymarks created in any given region.  

As for creating new categories, you will likely soon see additional comments here from the experts.

Edited by elyob
  • Helpful 2

I not live in or even near any Waymarking hot spots, but I have posted some waymarks in popular tourist areas. Your mileage may vary, but I think my personal statistics do reflect the global situation quite well.

I have posted 6435 waymarks, and I have received 2012 visits. That is a ratio of almost 1 to 3.

When we look at the distinct waymarks the picture looks a bit different: 943 unique waymarks have been visited, making a ratio of almost 1 to 7. Only 14 waymarks have received more than ten visits (in 10 years). The record is 28.

Thank you so far for your comments, I appreciate your time.

When initially posting and then reading these and other posts I feel that I may have looked like a "numbers person" with the hope of people visiting my waymarks, that is not the case it was curiosity.

Setting up a new Group

I guess like all new things I am dipping my feet in the water... Continue reading the help and go for it

56 minutes ago, Alfouine said:

How can we know how many visits we received ?

In fact, we cannot.

Whenever I receive a visit notification, I put this information into a Excel sheet. And there have been times, when email notification was down, so I may have missed some, but not many.

Apart from personal initiative, there is no way to get those numbers.

• Surprised 1
56 minutes ago, fi67 said:

In fact, we cannot.

Whenever I receive a visit notification, I put this information into a Excel sheet. And there have been times, when email notification was down, so I may have missed some, but not many.

Apart from personal initiative, there is no way to get those numbers.

Ok thank you, as i keep all my emails, a filter with "visited" in the title gives me 1135 visited waymarks for 1750 posted, not so bad, but i have few active waymarkers in my area, that help

On 6/12/2019 at 11:16 AM, elyob said:

You will receive some interesting if disappointing answers to your questions here.  Concerning visits to your waymarks, in many cases it is likely that your published waymark will receive zero visits.  Many waymarkers focus only on creating waymarks.  Some of us visit more than we post but I think we are rare animals.  For me, I am three times more likely to visit than to post. 

If you wish to pursue the numbers game, focus on creating waymarks and/or focus on visiting  waymarks created by other waymarkers.   As far as I know, there is no comparative tracking of the number of visits to our waymarks.  The following link includes plenty of statistics.

http://Waymarking.altervista.org/

http://www.Waymarking.com/statistics.aspx?f=1

On the above link, you can see the total number of waymarks created in any given region.  

As for creating new categories, you will likely soon see additional comments here from the experts.

Thanks for the stats I was wondering my rank.

With the help of my trip in Europe I am now #27 worldwide for the number of visits ? Maybe I should visit all the wikipedia entries I skipped lol.

1 hour ago, Lynx Humble said:

Thanks for the stats I was wondering my rank.

With the help of my trip in Europe I am now #27 worldwide for the number of visits ? Maybe I should visit all the wikipedia entries I skipped lol.

You'd better get on those Wiki Visits - you've already dropped to #30... :(

OOPS!!! was reading the number (30) not your actual visits. Doug hasn't updated the list since the 11th - you've actually picked up a spot, now #26.

Keith