Duplicate trackables

jellis

Long time ago they used to not allow multiple trackables with the same number because of arguements and confusion of who had the original and where it was.  I ran into some new ones and when I reported it, it seems they don't care.  Should make them discoverable only to stop the confusion.

Edited by jellis
1 hour ago, jellis said:

Long time ago they used to not allow multiple trackables with the same number because of arguements and confusion of who had the original and where it was.  I ran into some new ones and when I reported it, it seems they don't care.  Should make them discoverable only to stop the confusion.

What I saw was one TB intentionally released with thousands of copies. When I ran into a copy, I thought it was an interesting experiment, but when I went on line to see that it had been shutdown, I understood that the experiment was completed and it turned out to be a stupid idea. I never got the impression that the ban was of any multiple release, although I've never run into another multiple release on any scale, so I guess I don't really know. How many duplicates are we talking about? Did you see it causing an actual problem, or are you just asking because you thought it was forbidden. I can't even imagine anyone arguing over who has a TB, and while I can see that it could be confusing, the confusion would strike me more like an interesting mystery to sort out than an annoying problem I'd want to be protected from.

I assume you're not complaining about someone releasing a duplicate and the original later showing up. I always advocate against that, but people do it, and I haven't noticed it cause any problems.

1 hour ago, jellis said:

I agree,  we've seen some get locked by HQ for that.   Many of the same just confuses other cachers. 

"Someone just logged a trackable I'm holding in my hand",  "No, I've got it" ,  "Hey ! I have it!",  and on n on ...

IIRC, a cacher (or maybe more than one)  had to email HQ  for them to act (to return balance to the force).

It would have made more sense to simply do that virtual,  "Discover-only" thing we see on many trackable pages now.