Log that a trackable's been placed in a new cache

OnTheKatwalk

I'm trying to log that I've placed a trackable that I picked up, but I'm not getting anything other than "write a note" come up when I open the list for 'type of log'. Am I looking in the wrong place? I have written a note in the meantime to let the owner know where their trackable has got to - but it's not coming up properly in the log, and looks like it's still in my hands. Thanks.

Edited by OnTheKatwalk
33 minutes ago, OnTheKatwalk said:

I'm trying to log that I've placed a trackable that I picked up, but I'm not getting anything other than "write a note" come up when I open the list for 'type of log'. Am I looking in the wrong place? I have written a note in the meantime to let the owner know where their trackable has got to - but it's not coming up properly in the log, and looks like it's still in my hands. Thanks.

There are two in your Profile, none in your Inventory.  They both seem OK now.

If you mean this one, it was "grabbed" from your Inventory after being found in a cache.  So I think that both trackables are currently shown in their correct Inventories.

37 minutes ago, Touchstone said:

You'll have to drop the trackable from the Listing page for the cache you left it at.  If you've already logged your Find log on the cache, you'll need to add a Note (so you don't end up with duplicate Finds on the cache).  Here's a Help Center article that explains more:

https://www.geocaching.com/help/index.php?pg=kb.chapter&id=30&pgid=151

You don't need to add a new log; you can edit your Found it log. By the way, it is no longer possible to have duplicate Finds on a cache. 

• Upvote 2
48 minutes ago, OnTheKatwalk said:

They both look fixed.  :)  

If it was "Blue",  guess you realized that the log action is "Dropped" and not placed (saying it wouldn't let you select "place" in a write note) . 

I feel the difference in wording from action and the trackable's logs is confusing at times too.

- Last month I got an email asking where "took it to" was, not realizing the action log is "Visit". 

If it was the penguin, as kunarion said, it  was Grabbed (I guess) before you got a chance to Drop it in a cache.

Neither show on your inventory, so you're good.    All part of learning the hobby.  

A little bit extra on trackables can be found  here, in the Help Center.

• Helpful 1
2 hours ago, kunarion said:
2 hours ago, Hynz said:

You are guessing, right? Or do you really found a way to look to the inventory of another user?

Whatever is listed as "is in the hands of [cacher]" is in the cacher's Inventory.  No guessing required.

I was a little confused by this, too, so let me echo what I think you're saying in case I'm misunderstanding. The original post was from someone the has only found 2 TBs, so you looked at each of them and saw that neither was in their hands. Hence you concluded through simple logic that none were in their inventory. Right? I think Hynz was confused because you made it sound like there was a way for you to look directly at their inventory, but that's not the case, is it? What I understand is that if you wanted to determine how many TBs were in Hynz's inventory, you'd have to go through each TB in his inventory one by one to see which of them he was holding. Or, at any rate, if there's a link to someone else's inventory, I don't know where it is.

1 hour ago, dprovan said:

I was a little confused by this, too, so let me echo what I think you're saying in case I'm misunderstanding. The original post was from someone the has only found 2 TBs, so you looked at each of them and saw that neither was in their hands. Hence you concluded through simple logic that none were in their inventory. Right? I think Hynz was confused because you made it sound like there was a way for you to look directly at their inventory, but that's not the case, is it? What I understand is that if you wanted to determine how many TBs were in Hynz's inventory, you'd have to go through each TB in his inventory one by one to see which of them he was holding. Or, at any rate, if there's a link to someone else's inventory, I don't know where it is.

Right.  I responded within the context of the OP.