multi finds in one day

1 hour ago, jellis said:

I used to find caches like this but haven't in years as it's all about the numbers and not about enjoying them.

I've never done a power trail, but I always assumed it was more about testing yourself to see if you could keep it up, not the numbers added to your count if you can.

9 hours ago, dprovan said:

I've never done a power trail, but I always assumed it was more about testing yourself to see if you could keep it up, not the numbers added to your count if you can.

Different people will go for it for different reasons, that's why I try not to judge someone else who wants to do power trails, I won't presume to understand (let alone pass judgment!) on their motives/enjoyment of the activity.

• Upvote 1
15 hours ago, dprovan said:

How many people would do a power trail, if at the end of the day, none of their finds counted toward their find count?

• Upvote 3
  • Love 2
54 minutes ago, NYPaddleCacher said:

How many people would do a power trail, if at the end of the day, none of their finds counted toward their find count?

Well, um, a couple of weeks ago I drove about 80km to north-western Sydney where I spent the best part of the day doing a 14-stage multi. Great fun even though I only got +1 for the find count, and it still would've been great fun doing all the stages even if I'd DNFed the final. About the only time I look at my find count is when I have a major milestone coming up and want to plan something special for it.

• Upvote 5
  • Love 1
17 minutes ago, barefootjeff said:

Well, um, a couple of weeks ago I drove about 80km to north-western Sydney where I spent the best part of the day doing a 14-stage multi. Great fun even though I only got +1 for the find count, and it still would've been great fun doing all the stages even if I'd DNFed the final.

Well said barefootjeff!!!! :D

On 6/9/2019 at 1:29 PM, niraD said:

Here's a video that shows what it's like to find 3 caches on one of these numbers trails. Multiply that by 400 and you've got 1200 fungible film canisters in a day.

I've never done a power trail before but I think it would be amusing to sit in on an adventure like the one shared in that video, though I'd probably want to get out after no more than 30 minutes (that repetition doesn't seem like fun to me).  With a run like that it'd be more about having a goofy adventure with friends and having fun stories to tell than about the numbers.

• Upvote 1
1 hour ago, barefootjeff said:

Well, um, a couple of weeks ago I drove about 80km to north-western Sydney where I spent the best part of the day doing a 14-stage multi. Great fun even though I only got +1 for the find count, and it still would've been great fun doing all the stages even if I'd DNFed the final. About the only time I look at my find count is when I have a major milestone coming up and want to plan something special for it.

Understandable.  I suspect that the CO for that 14 stage multi put a lot more effort into choosing interesting spots for each stage than the hiding spots chosen for a long power trail.    I've wanted on more than one occasion to be able to give a favorite point on a cache that took me to a nice location but could not because I DNFd the cache.  

• Upvote 4
4 hours ago, NYPaddleCacher said:

I don't know. But even if no one would do a power trail if the finds didn't count, I'd still say that they're proud of that big one day count because it reflects their accomplishment.

The better question is how many people would waste a day for no other reason than to bump up some number with has no intrinsic value. I don't deny that there might be some people that have such weird motives, but I doubt it's a significant percentage. Most people, I claim, would be more focused on whether they can do them all. To the extent they like big numbers, the count is just gravy.

2 hours ago, GeoElmo6000 said:

I've never done a power trail before but I think it would be amusing to sit in on an adventure like the one shared in that video, though I'd probably want to get out after no more than 30 minutes (that repetition doesn't seem like fun to me).  With a run like that it'd be more about having a goofy adventure with friends and having fun stories to tell than about the numbers.

I've wanted to do a power trail because it seems like an interesting challenge, but I'm reasonably sure I'd be ready to quit after about 30 minutes, too. But whatever happened, I'm very sure my thinking wouldn't be "I can't stop now: I want those 250 more finds!" I don't know what my find count is within 250 caches most of the time, so bumping it up 250 isn't much of a motive for me.

5 hours ago, terratin said:

My longest trail was a 15 or so km walk through London to do a series of 20 caches or so along a river that vanished ages ago. I usually get grumpy when I do too many caches in a day, meaning more than 10 or so.

My stats page tells me that my "best" day was 22 caches on the 31st of March last year. That was when I was at the Oz Geomuster mega and drove around doing some of the geoart series that had been placed for the event, but what I remember most about that day is the groups of people I kept bumping into at each cache doing the same thing I was.

Most of the time when I go out caching it's to do one cache. If there are others in the vicinity I might attempt them as well, but usually there's one main target. Sometimes that one cache will take the whole day to complete or even multiple days and those are the ones that are most memorable, the lifeblood that makes caching so appealing to me.

But that's just me and I know there are others who love trying to see how many they can get in one day or who prefer P&Gs over the more strenuous ones. One of the great things about this game is the way it caters for that broad range of interests.

• Helpful 1
12 hours ago, NYPaddleCacher said:

Set up a 200 stage multi - I think the answer to your question will be similar to the number of finders of that multi..... :)

• Upvote 2
25 minutes ago, lee737 said:
13 hours ago, NYPaddleCacher said:

Set up a 200 stage multi - I think the answer to your question will be similar to the number of finders of that multi..... :)

I don't think there'd be any relation. People won't tackle a 200 stage multi because it will be difficult and time consuming to finish. I doubt the fact they they only get one find at the end will be a significant factor. And, on the other hand, people crazy enough to do a 200 cache power trail are sometimes the same people that are crazy enough to tackle a 200 stage multi.

• Funny 1
35 minutes ago, dprovan said:

I don't think there'd be any relation. People won't tackle a 200 stage multi because it will be difficult and time consuming to finish. I doubt the fact they they only get one find at the end will be a significant factor. And, on the other hand, people crazy enough to do a 200 cache power trail are sometimes the same people that are crazy enough to tackle a 200 stage multi.

Do you know of many 200 stage multis to base this on? :)

32 minutes ago, lee737 said:

Do you know of many 200 stage multis to base this on? :)

There's a 54-stage multi that I'd like to do sometime, maybe as a milestone find.

But a 200-stage multi (especially where the stages are all identical) has less appeal. And a 2000-stage multi where the stages are all identical has even less appeal.

• Upvote 1
2 hours ago, niraD said:

There's a 54-stage multi that I'd like to do sometime, maybe as a milestone find.

But a 200-stage multi (especially where the stages are all identical) has less appeal. And a 2000-stage multi where the stages are all identical has even less appeal.

Yep.

I rarely get myself to go after any cache "just 'cause it's there", but only one smiley for putting myself through 200+ of 'em is unthinkable.  :)

We've done a few multis with over a dozen stages.  The last couple I attempted were over fifteen.

- That's "attempted", as in a stage is carped-out and now I'm sunk at number twelve.   That's not fun...

• Upvote 1

I like them. We did a 63 stage multi (60+ Km) by bike one day going around Brussels, On Sunday we did the last 10 stages of a 33 stage multi we started a little while ago to end the day with a 25 stage virtual. Those were close together as the first one had photo details to recognize and the virtual was along the medieval remnants of the old city wall.  We often plan a caching day around a long multi with many WPs, unfortunately there are not many around.

• Love 1
9 hours ago, dprovan said:

I would so do that! 
I did a somewhat bigger multi earlier this year that required me to spend 2.5 days on Dutch trains, going through most of the country. Ok, I added two provinces that were not included in this multi because I wanted to get them on the map, but still. It was pretty cool to do. I would also do a really long multi as long as it's engaging and I can stop and start again any time I want to and as long as I don't run into really frustrating tasks like count the number of orange square decorations in a random location but don't get the faded red ones, then multiply with the pale green ones but don't accidentally take the weathered blue ones :bad:

On ‎6‎/‎11‎/‎2019 at 3:35 AM, NYPaddleCacher said:

I've thought about doing a power trail just for the adventure/challenge of a 24 hour run/fun time with buddies, and would probably use a sock puppet account to track the finds as they wouldn't mean much to me (except as a record of the craziness of the run).

My biggest day was 727 finds, some years back in South Australia, 24 hours midnight to midnght.  Of those, a couple of hundred were similar to each other (part of a geo-art) but all the rest were all different hides put out by different people, some quite easy, some difficult and some we spent upwards of 10 or 15 minutes and DNFed.  It was not something I would want to do every day (that's a massive understatement btw) but with that group of friends on that day, it was a lot of fun - adventure, laughs and camaraderie, and a heck of a lot of exercise.  At an average of even just 50 metres of walking at each one, to and from the cache plus searching (many of these caches were way way further than that and a lot of searching), that's >36km of walking in one 24 hour period!

10 minutes ago, funkymunkyzone said:

My biggest day was 727 finds, some years back in South Australia, 24 hours midnight to midnght.  Of those, a couple of hundred were similar to each other (part of a geo-art) but all the rest were all different hides put out by different people, some quite easy, some difficult and some we spent upwards of 10 or 15 minutes and DNFed.  It was not something I would want to do every day (that's a massive understatement btw) but with that group of friends on that day, it was a lot of fun - adventure, laughs and camaraderie, and a heck of a lot of exercise.  At an average of even just 50 metres of walking at each one, to and from the cache plus searching (many of these caches were way way further than that and a lot of searching), that's >36km of walking in one 24 hour period!

less than 2 minutes per cache, around the clock? I'm not sure I've even found a series of 10 in under 20 minutes, let alone to keep up that speed around the clock....

• Upvote 1
15 minutes ago, lee737 said:

less than 2 minutes per cache, around the clock? I'm not sure I've even found a series of 10 in under 20 minutes, let alone to keep up that speed around the clock....

Yep, there was a higher energy period where we were doing close to 60 per hour.  And that's nowhere near as fast as clearly some other groups are (although I will say, we didn't employ any silly leapfrogging or picking up cache from one spot and dropping it elsewhere, that's not geocaching, that's geoswapping).  And actually it wasn't 24 hours, more like 23 and a bit as we ran out of caches to find. :)

• Upvote 1
50 minutes ago, funkymunkyzone said:

My biggest day was 727 finds

My biggest day?  40 finds - we did half a 60 +  cache geo-art off road in the desert with our son, daughter in law, and 3 week old grandson - then did a few more later in the day to make a nice even 40 finds on the day.  That was over a year ago, and I have no desire to repeat the feat!  For the Hidden Creatures we did do a portion of a power trail and got 30 in one day to make the final souvenir.  I'm happy to get 10 or so, with some hiking, and puzzling, or Wherigo in the mix!

1 hour ago, lee737 said:

With my "Blind Freddy" cache-spotting ability, finding a series of 1 in under 20 minutes is tough enough!

• Upvote 2
  • Funny 6
  • Love 1

One other difference between a power trail, and a long multi is that with a power trail, these are all regular caches, where the coordinates are known and can be pre-loaded into your GPS or smartphone. With a multi, you have to enter the next set of coordinates into your device. Way too much trouble for some. (Not for on4bam, I bet he can enter them blindfolded with all the multi caches he has done. ? )

6 minutes ago, Wet Pancake Touring Club said:

With a multi, you have to enter the next set of coordinates into your device. Way too much trouble for some. (Not for on4bam, I bet he can enter them blindfolded with all the multi caches he has done. ? )

Easy... Most multi's have their WP's listed even if the coordinates are unknown. I export caches from GSAK wit the garminexport macro that puts the WPs on the GPS as POI. At every WP I can just pick the right POI, make it into a WP, enter coordinates and look at that WP's info (find X/Y, coordinate is N X, E Y) Nothing to it ;)

I make it a point to be able to operate most stuff "blindfolded" anyway, be it a GPS or camera or any other "gadget" that I use on a regularly .

I know a family with a single account for five people (parents and three adult children), and they are logging finds in up to five different locations around the USA with the same account daily!  Weird to see their logs, which jump around from Colorado, Florida, Arizona, etc., all day.  Pretty easy to get a couple hundred in a single day when you are covering five times the space as a single account!

• Funny 2
1 minute ago, Ageleni said:

I know a family with a single account for five people (parents and three adult children), and they are logging finds in up to five different locations around the USA with the same account daily!  Weird to see their logs, which jump around from Colorado, Florida, Arizona, etc., all day.  Pretty easy to get a couple hundred in a single day when you are covering five times the space as a single account!

I was asked once why I didn't cache when the other 2/3rds would visit her sister or grandfather in another state (and caching while there), so people do notice things like that. 

They're not fooling anybody...  you noticed...  :)     

The fun part is if they also have the nerve to brag about their numbers at an event.

We had one similar, and at an event, when "someone" started to snicker,  most of the folks present couldn't contain it either.    :D

• Upvote 1
  • Funny 2
11 minutes ago, cerberus1 said:

I was asked once why I didn't cache when the other 2/3rds would visit her sister or grandfather in another state (and caching while there), so people do notice things like that. 

They're not fooling anybody...  you noticed...  :)    

This is why, when we took it up again last year after a long hiatus, I had my kids each make their own accounts.  Granted, they have never cached without me.  But I want them to have that in place if the time comes that they start going out on their own, because I certainly would not want someone using MY account to log caches that I had never been to!

16 minutes ago, Ageleni said:

This is why, when we took it up again last year after a long hiatus, I had my kids each make their own accounts.  Granted, they have never cached without me.  But I want them to have that in place if the time comes that they start going out on their own, because I certainly would not want someone using MY account to log caches that I had never been to!

That's a personal choice.   We know dozens of families/couples who share one account.   :)

We do see this more with folks who joined early in the hobby,   or those (like us) who have no interest in "stats".

• Upvote 1
12 minutes ago, cerberus1 said:

That's a personal choice.   We know dozens of families/couples who share one account.   :)

We do see this more with folks who joined early in the hobby,   or those (like us) who have no interest in "stats".

Same with us. We've always had a joint account. If my husband finds a cache while on a business trip, it doesn't bother me at all since its "our" account. 

• Upvote 2