Set a specific time for cache release

Enjayen

Hi, I have a question.
If I wanted a cache page to publish on a certain date and time(example: June 22, 2019 at 12:00 pm), how far in advance do I have to submit the cache page for review? Thanks,
Enjayen

PS. I'm assuming I put my desired publishing time on a note for the reviewer?

Edited by Enjayen
1 minute ago, Enjayen said:

Hi, I have a question.
If I wanted a cache page to publish on a certain date and time(example: June 22, 2019 at 12:00 pm), how far in advance do I have to submit the cache page for review? Thanks,
Enjayen

PS. I'm assuming I put my desired publishing time on a note for the reviewer?

I see that often in my area! Maybe not THAT specific to the minute. 

• Upvote 1
2 minutes ago, Enjayen said:

Yeah, I guess that's pretty specific. Maybe something like "Afternoon of June 22, 2019"?

You can certainly ask about a specific time! If the reviewer is available, they might be able to accommodate the request. I personally think 2 weeks notice, just to give time to iron out any kinks, would be sufficient.

• Helpful 1
2 minutes ago, Max and 99 said:

You can certainly ask about a specific time! If the reviewer is available, they might be able to accommodate the request. I personally think 2 weeks notice, just to give time to iron out any kinks, would be sufficient.

Thank you!

• Upvote 1

Realize that Reviewers have lives too, and a specific time may be pushing it, but it can't hurt to ask.   :)

I'd ask about a certain date when I send it for review.

We see a lot of  "after a certain date",  usually asked for after an event's over.

We used to have a friendly competition for caches placed as part of an event. 

- Game pieces needed were inside.  To be sure they were still there,  the Reviewer was asked to publish the caches the following day (or when they had the time).

A good reason we see folks do this...One weekend we had a lot of FTFs, and mentioned on the cache page "what happened to all the locals?", kinda rubbing it in.   The other 2/3rds was so happy, I put a high-end swag prize for the next-to-find on our last one.

- Turned out the next day an event was scheduled, all locals knew that caches were placed for it, but because we were from another state, we didn't know.

- The event organizer apologized for all the @#$%^& mail we got for a day or two.  He forgot to ask for an after-event publish date.    :D

• Helpful 1
9 hours ago, cerberus1 said:

Realize that Reviewers have lives too, and a specific time may be pushing it, but it can't hurt to ask.   :)

I'd ask about a certain date when I send it for review.

I got mine to publish at an exact time, down to the minute. Probably just lucked out.

Asking for a single cache to be published at noon on a specific date is fine.  So is "we're hiding 10 new caches for an event, please publish after 3 pm Saturday when the event concludes."

Asking for two caches to be published at 1:23 pm and 4:56 pm because "sequential numbers are cool" will not be met with a favorable reception from your reviewer.  Nor will "this power trail of 100 caches should be published at the rate of one cache per hour so that different people can get the FTFs."

• Upvote 1
  • Funny 1
  • Helpful 2
6 minutes ago, arisoft said:

Why it is not favorable to give FTF opportunities to different people?

HQ does not recognize that side game of the game (as evidenced by no accumulation of statistics for that metric), so it seems reasonable that they would not accommodate something that they do not support on the website.

• Helpful 1
51 minutes ago, arisoft said:

A power trail of 100 caches published 1 per hour will be foiled on the 2nd publication.  If that.  I could find cache #1, then #2, then all of them from that point on.  Roughly 528 feet apart on this road, same cache type and same hide style?  Got'em all.  In theory.  Because I'll probably get bored at Cache #2 and stop.  But the local FTF guy got'em all.

I don't submit 100 pill bottles along the road.  But when I submit caches, it's one at a time.  One today, and once it's active, one just as the thunderstorm approaches.  One tomorrow, when most power cachers are at that Event 100 miles away.  I mean I never do that just to confound the same FTF guy.  Nope.  I do not do that.  It just seems like it.  B)

Edited by kunarion
  • Upvote 2
  • Funny 2
35 minutes ago, kunarion said:

A power trail of 100 caches published 1 per hour will be foiled on the 2nd publication.  If that.  I could find cache #1, then #2, then all of them from that point on.  Roughly 528 feet apart on this road, same cache type and same hide style?

Who says, that cache 2 will be published after cache 1.  How about cache 1, cache 59, cache 7, cache 89 ....

This way, you have probably several miles in between the published cache.

• Funny 1
29 minutes ago, Mausebiber said:

Who says, that cache 2 will be published after cache 1.  How about cache 1, cache 59, cache 7, cache 89 ....

This way, you have probably several miles in between the published cache.

I think ku's point is that you could go through the entire series of caches based on the assumption that you could locate them every 528 feet (YMMV) and sign them all.  Once they were Published, you could go through and log them online.  Wouldn't really matter on the order of Publication if you signed them all ahead of time.

• Helpful 2
20 minutes ago, Mausebiber said:

Aha, I had a different scenario in mind, thanks for clarification.

But your idea might be suitable to foil FTF hunters by making it trickier to deduce the trail in advance of all caches being published.

A friend made a power trail and each had a name rather than a number, published over several weeks.  I think that was done so that nobody knew how many there were.

• Helpful 1
10 hours ago, Keystone said:

Asking for two caches to be published at 1:23 pm and 4:56 pm because "sequential numbers are cool" will not be met with a favorable reception from your reviewer.

Yeah :p

Less that six hours after I submitted my cache for review, the reviewer gave it the all clear and set the release time to 6/22 around 12:00 PM

• Love 1
9 hours ago, kunarion said:

A power trail of 100 caches published 1 per hour will be foiled on the 2nd publication.  If that.  I could find cache #1, then #2, then all of them from that point on.  Roughly 528 feet apart on this road, same cache type and same hide style?  Got'em all.  In theory.  Because I'll probably get bored at Cache #2 and stop.  But the local FTF guy got'em all.

I don't submit 100 pill bottles along the road.  But when I submit caches, it's one at a time.  One today, and once it's active, one just as the thunderstorm approaches.  One tomorrow, when most power cachers are at that Event 100 miles away.  I mean I never do that just to confound the same FTF guy.  Nope.  I do not do that.  It just seems like it.  B)

We had a similar situation recently.  At an event, someone mentioned that they had placed a power trail and would be having them published in a few day's time.

Someone worked out which road they would be hidden on and went out the next day, found the lot and got FTF on all of them before they were actually published.

• Upvote 1
  • Funny 1
1 minute ago, Gill & Tony said:

We had a similar situation recently.  At an event, someone mentioned that they had placed a power trail and would be having them published in a few day's time.

Someone worked out which road they would be hidden on and went out the next day, found the lot and got FTF on all of them before they were actually published.

:yikes:

Well, I guess that means they're good at puzzles. :anicute:

• Upvote 2
12 hours ago, arisoft said:
17 hours ago, Keystone said:

Nor will "this power trail of 100 caches should be published at the rate of one cache per hour so that different people can get the FTFs."

Reviewers have the option to bulk publish a cache series.  For a series of 100 caches submitted at the same time, most reviewers would likely use this option if the caches were all good to publish.  So asking a reviewer to manually publish a 100 cache series one at a time would be frowned upon.

• Helpful 2
21 hours ago, arisoft said:
On 6/9/2019 at 8:02 AM, Keystone said:

Nor will "this power trail of 100 caches should be published at the rate of one cache per hour so that different people can get the FTFs."

I don't think the reviewer refusing to accommodate the request reflects any statement about favorability one way or the other. It's just that the review process isn't a good way to implement it whether it's a good idea or not.

21 hours ago, Touchstone said:

HQ does not recognize that side game of the game (as evidenced by no accumulation of statistics for that metric), so it seems reasonable that they would not accommodate something that they do not support on the website.

Meh. I guess I'm still thinking reviewers are independent of HQ -- maybe I'm too far behind the times -- so I wouldn't expect this to be an HQ/geocaching.com dictate, just reviewers rejecting an unreasonable request of their energies. A reviewer is being really nice to schedule a specific release time to begin with. I support and encourage them to draw the line somewhere before that beneficence starts requiring a lot of effort. (Having said that, I see no problem with them using the excuse that FTF isn't part of the game if it helps them avoid any whining.)

• Helpful 1
On 6/9/2019 at 9:02 AM, Keystone said:

It's easy enough to have your caches published over a period of time -- just wait until one is published before submitting another. 

• Upvote 1
  • Helpful 2