Please help me test a problem

I'm having a really weird problem and I'm hoping to get others to test and see if they also experience the problem.

When I go to my profile and click on the link to see my detailed profile, the profile loads in a new tab (as expected).  When I then click on any of the tabs (Home, Special, DNFs, etc.) near the top, nothing happens.  The tabs don't work.  I have tested with a W10 PC, a W10 netbook and an android tablet.  I've used chrome and Firefox on both W10 machines and Chrome and Internet on the tablet.  They all exhibit the same problem.  I reported the issue to the GSAK forum and only 1 person who tested has the same issue. 

Doing a hard refresh on that tab doesn't change anything, but if I copy the URL and paste it into a new tab, everything works as expected.

So, would you please click my avatar to get to my profile, click the link to see my detailed profile and then wait until it loads.  Now click one of the tabs near the top.  Please report back whether or not things worked.

If you have any ideas why this should be happening, I'd love to hear them.

Edited by Gill & Tony
Spelling

Is a separate link on your geocaching profile to those statgen things the norm now ?     I haven't seen it before.

If noticed earlier, I would have thought a "detailed" profile would say something about you, or more than just stats.    :)

- They just keep spinning for me BTW.

• Upvote 1
50 minutes ago, Gill & Tony said:

I'm having a really weird problem and I'm hoping to get others to test and see if they also experience the problem.

When I go to my profile and click on the link to see my detailed profile, the profile loads in a new tab (as expected).  When I then click on any of the tabs (Home, Special, DNFs, etc.) near the top, nothing happens.  The tabs don't work.  I have tested with a W10 PC, a W10 netbook and an android tablet.  I've used chrome and Firefox on both W10 machines and Chrome and Internet on the tablet.  They all exhibit the same problem.  I reported the issue to the GSAK forum and only 1 person who tested has the same issue. 

Doing a hard refresh on that tab doesn't change anything, but if I copy the URL and paste it into a new tab, everything works as expected.

So, would you please click my avatar to get to my profile, click the link to see my detailed profile and then wait until it loads.  Now click one of the tabs near the top.  Please report back whether or not things worked.

If you have any ideas why this should be happening, I'd love to hear them.

I can't even get to where you are talking about. What is the detailed profile?

Chrome and Safari on the iPad, and Chrome and IE on the Windows PC, all show the page eternally “loading”, and the mentioned buttons don't work. “Edge” seems to finish loading, but the buttons still don't work.

Where did you copy the URL for a button?  I couldn't even find that.

The buttons aren't behaving like actual web addresses (links), so I'm guessing they each run scripts that are currently faulty.  But that's as far as I got.  :anicute:

[EDIT:  It started working fine in Chrome on my Windows PC!  The first time I tried it, nothing.  Now I can't get it to fail.  That was weird.]

51 minutes ago, Gill & Tony said:

The separate page takes a long time to load. Once it finally does, clicking on the tabs does nothing.

Chrome on MacOS

22 minutes ago, cerberus1 said:

Is a separate link on your geocaching profile to those statgen things the norm now ?     I haven't seen it before.

Groundspeak stopped supporting JavaScript in profiles, thereby killing lots of statistics pages.  It has become quite common to host the statistics on a separate site and link to them

24 minutes ago, cerberus1 said:

- They just keep spinning for me BTW.

Not sure what you mean by this

The statistics page is huge and does take a long time to load.

Copy the URL.  I meant copy the URL for the stats page from the address bar in the tab.  Then paste it into a new tab, so the whole stats page loads into the new tab.  Then it works perfectly.

It also works if you shift-click the link on the Groundspeak profile to open it in a new window.

There are various symbols for "loading" the page code, and they sit-n-spin for a long time.

But something changed after about while I browsed around since my previous post four minutes ago:  Chrome, IE and Edge on my Windows PC all work fine with the buttons now!

Where are the pages hosted?  Is it possible that something necessary from the server simply didn't load, and may start working?

3 minutes ago, Gill & Tony said:

Copy the URL.  I meant copy the URL for the stats page from the address bar in the tab.  Then paste it into a new tab, so the whole stats page loads into the new tab.  Then it works perfectly.

It also works if you shift-click the link on the Groundspeak profile to open it in a new window.

Yes!  I just now got that same thing in IE.  The page was "loading" and not working, so I opened a new tab and pasted the URL from the address bar, and the new tab works fine.  I can switch back to the original tab and it still doesn't work. :blink:

13 minutes ago, Max and 99 said:

I can't even get to where you are talking about. What is the detailed profile?

Clicking my avatar should take you to my Groundspeak profile page.

That page contains a line "To see my detailed profiile please click here".  Clicking the word "here" should take you to the problem.

The page is hosted at gillandtony.com, which is hosted by shoalhaven internet services.

It is possible that something takes a long time to come down.  The only time the problem occurs is directly from the Groundspeak page.  I have never had a problem running the page as a file on my PC and never had a problem loading the page through typing or pasting the URL.

5 minutes ago, kunarion said:

I can duplicate the problem in IE, pretty much every time I start IE.  I can either copy the web address to a new tab or refresh the page without a new tab, and either way, IE then starts working.

Are you saying that the tab which didn't work  suddenly starts working?

Edited by Gill & Tony
11 minutes ago, Gill & Tony said:

Are you saying that the tab which didn't work  suddenly starts working?

No, so far in IE, the original page that didn't load stays not working when I start a new tab, although the tab now works.  But I was able to refresh the browser instead of starting a new tab, and that refresh caused it to worked fine.

AND I tried it just now on my Retina iPad, and Safari and Chrome are struggling, but will load at least most of the code if I wait long enough.  Safari doesn't show the first map, but the rest seems OK.

AND I opened a new tab in Chrome on my iPad, and the new tab kept loading, but the original tab eventually loaded just fine.

There's just plain so much to load, the browsers are flaking out.  But I'm still wondering if it's a server thing that will clear up later on its own.  Is there another User Profile to compare?

Edited by kunarion
1 hour ago, Gill & Tony said:

Clicking my avatar should take you to my Groundspeak profile page.

That page contains a line "To see my detailed profiile please click here".  Clicking the word "here" should take you to the problem.

Thank you!

I use Chrome. None of the tabs work for me.

The "tabs" work on Safari or Firefox, but not in Chrome. (MacOS)

Checking the console, I get a bunch of errors when I refresh the page:

2787 instances of:

Mixed Content: The page at '<URL>' was loaded over HTTPS, but requested an insecure image '<URL>'. This content should also be served over HTTPS.

144 instances of:

Blocked script execution in 'https://www.gillandtony.com/Geocaching/stats1.html' because the document's frame is sandboxed and the 'allow-scripts' permission is not set.

I did a little research on these "Blocked script execution..." messages. I tried opening an incognito window, and sure enough, your tabs work there.

Anyway, maybe this will help you sort it out. Your page seems to be doing something that triggers Chrome's security features.

• Helpful 2

15 hours ago, niraD said:

The "tabs" work on Safari or Firefox, but not in Chrome. (MacOS)

Checking the console, I get a bunch of errors when I refresh the page:

2787 instances of:

Mixed Content: The page at '<URL>' was loaded over HTTPS, but requested an insecure image '<URL>'. This content should also be served over HTTPS.

144 instances of:

Blocked script execution in 'https://www.gillandtony.com/Geocaching/stats1.html' because the document's frame is sandboxed and the 'allow-scripts' permission is not set.

I did a little research on these "Blocked script execution..." messages. I tried opening an incognito window, and sure enough, your tabs work there.

Anyway, maybe this will help you sort it out. Your page seems to be doing something that triggers Chrome's security features.

Now that is useful information. All my own code references HTTP, not HTTPS, so I can change that easily and try again.  Maybe I can get it done by this evening.

Not sure about the sandbox stuff.  If my changes fix the problem I won't worry.  If not...

Thanks for taking the time to debug that for me.

Tony