New? Garmin Handhelds

Strange today.  They released the Etrex x2X series and the Gpsmap 64X series.  As far as I can see the only change is more memory and Galileo support.  It is strange to have done another 64 model with the 66 out.

Oh, and the 66i, a 66 with inReach.  That one looks nice as it does Geocaching and accepts Garmin maps, which the other inReach units do not.

Edited by Red90

My predictions were right. With the 66i, Garmin has been merging the inReach devices with its handheld GPS line. For better or worse, I expect that the Delorme-based units will disappear shortly as Garmin transitions the entire line into its own product.

The 64X is weird, but maybe the plan is to keep the 64 around as a mid-level unit and branch the 66 into a Pro-line. Or perhaps this is their way of acknowledging that the 66 has problems.

16 minutes ago, Red90 said:

Strange today.  They released the Etrex x2X series and the Gpsmap 64X series.  As far as I can see the only change is more memory and Galileo support.  It is strange to have done another 64 model with the 66 out.

No Galileo for eTrex x2x.

The primary 'update' with the new 'x' models is the inclusion of preloaded TopoActive mapping for North America and Australia.

And the memory is already insufficient, as the first TopoActive map update will likely force you to install the maps to an installed micro-SD card, locking the map to that card.

16 minutes ago, Red90 said:

Oh, and the 66i, a 66 with inReach.  That one looks nice as it does Geocaching and accepts Garmin maps, which the other inReach units do not.

I am still waiting for confirmation this is a GPSMAP 66 with inReach added, and that all standard GPSMAP 66 features are retained.

My understanding is that the 66i has an iridium receiver built in and can communicate directly with the inReach service. This is unlike the others in the 66 line which communicate via an inReach (mini) device first to connect to the network. The 66i represents a huge step forward - a fully functioning GPS navigation device with the ability to communicate SMS over satellite.

Still not sure what the point of the 64x line is. Why would Garmin drive users away from the 66 devices?

4 minutes ago, Mineral2 said:

The 66i represents a huge step forward - a fully functioning GPS navigation device with the ability to communicate SMS over satellite.

Not a huge step.  You can already do that with the iReach Explorer+ and SE+.  The problem with those models is that they only allowed the use of delorme maps and do not have the Geocaching features.

59 minutes ago, Red90 said:

It is in the manual.  Of course that could be an error. Page 8.

http://static.garmin.com/pumac/etrex 22x_32x_OM_EN-US.pdf

I'll find out when my eTrex x2x arrives.

My statement was based on the Press Release, which specifically states GPS and GLONASS only for the eTrex x2x units.

Hopefully the press release is incorrect, and my eTrex x2x will have Galileo!

Edited by Atlas Cached
2 hours ago, Red90 said:

We can dream that this will encourage them to finally add functionality to the bluetooth on the 64S.  But I doubt it.

I'm assuming the 64s is being replaced by the 64sx.

None of the 64 models have Wi-Fi capabilities, so that separates them from the 66 series.

3 hours ago, BlackRose67 said:

I'm assuming the 64s is being replaced by the 64sx.

None of the 64 models have Wi-Fi capabilities, so that separates them from the 66 series.

I not sure that you understand the issue.  The 64S has bluetooth as does the 64SX.  When the 64S was new, Garmin had an app that let you use the bluetooth to transfer files.  Since the app disappeared, there is no use for the bluetooth.  They could set it up just like the 66 and allow live geocaching data and access to pocket queries, if they wanted.  It is only a bit of software.

Wifi has no relevance to the issue.

1 hour ago, Red90 said:

I not sure that you understand the issue.  The 64S has bluetooth as does the 64SX.  When the 64S was new, Garmin had an app that let you use the bluetooth to transfer files.  Since the app disappeared, there is no use for the bluetooth.  They could set it up just like the 66 and allow live geocaching data and access to pocket queries, if they wanted.  It is only a bit of software.

Wifi has no relevance to the issue.

I knew about it, just forgot about it as I have the similar issue with my Oregon 600.

It has a connection option for Basecamp Mobile, which as you said, no longer exists.

18 hours ago, BlackRose67 said:

This series... the gpsMap 6x series gets upgraded in progression. The 60/c/s/x was replaced with the 62/s/t, which was then replaced by the 64/s/t, which in turn was replaced by the 66s/t. This is why we are perplexed by Garmin continuing to develop an older model when they have already come out with the replacement upgrade. At this point, should we expect to see an Oregon 600x in the near future. After all, the difference between the Oregon 600 and 700 is wifi.

24 minutes ago, alandb said:

The GPSMAP 66i apparently has a non replaceable battery (rechargeable lithium ion). Considering what the intended use would be for a device like this, that seems to me like a serious shortcoming. 

All inReach devices I am aware of have dedicated internal Li-Ion batteries. More capacity than AA.

On 6/7/2019 at 4:40 PM, Mineral2 said:

My understanding is that the 66i has an iridium receiver built in and can communicate directly with the inReach service. This is unlike the others in the 66 line which communicate via an inReach (mini) device first to connect to the network. The 66i represents a huge step forward - a fully functioning GPS navigation device with the ability to communicate SMS over satellite.

Still not sure what the point of the 64x line is. Why would Garmin drive users away from the 66 devices?

the 64  is one popular series and is smaller then the 66 so why not keep it. Not like they had to retool completely. I bet they made some nice changes in the menu options,etc too.

On 6/8/2019 at 1:46 PM, Atlas Cached said:

All inReach devices I am aware of have dedicated internal Li-Ion batteries. More capacity than AA.

I wonder if the 66i does 406mhz as well as 121.5 mhz. garmin doesn't state this any where I've seen so far. Res Q Link does. This is why I bought it. From what ACR says in their Utube the Inreach types don't broadcast on those frequencies and will fail to contact rescue in some situations. 

inReach is marketed as a communicator, and transmits around 1.6 GHz as satellite phones.

The 121.5 MHz IAD is for aircraft that are already within a tight radius of the beacon location, and already searching.

There might not be any intelligence sent on the IAD frequency. It’s the 406 MHz transmitter that’s being received by satellites.

6 hours ago, capt caper said:

I wonder if the 66i does 406mhz as well as 121.5 mhz. garmin doesn't state this any where I've seen so far. Res Q Link does. This is why I bought it. From what ACR says in their Utube the Inreach types don't broadcast on those frequencies and will fail to contact rescue in some situations. 

Looks like 121.5 MHz is on its way out!

3 hours ago, Atlas Cached said:

Looks like 121.5 MHz is on its way out!

It's still used by search and rescue as they have all the  equipment still. They use it to pin point your location if needed. Via helicopter or hand held units I read. As the gps signals can be off. Case of Kate that died here one winter on the mountian is one failure of gps. https://www.outdoors.org/articles/appalachia-journal-blog/too-cold-the-death-of-kate-matrosova

If you check out the video part 1 and part too all the  way thru especially the later half of part 2 describing Inreach ,spot etc. 

On 6/7/2019 at 1:40 PM, Mineral2 said:

My five-year-old 64s died and I bought a 66s. I used it for an hour, then returned it and ordered a 64sx.

The deal-breaker for me was the 66s' inability to display two small data fields on the map page. With four small data fields, the displayed map area is substantially smaller than the displayed map on a 64 with two, negating the advantage of the larger screen. That's the page I live on, and I could not abide losing map space.

Nothing to do with GPS or EPIRBs, and everything to do with physical injury,

and the fact that crystal oscillators and batteries operate within temperature margins.

As she descended back down the Star Lake Trail back to the Madison Spring Hut, she would encounter horrific winds. This would slow her down significantly, and cause her to become significantly hypothermic. With hurricane winds, her movement would be extremely slow. It was probably blowing her down many times. She would get up and continue the difficult traverse back to the hut. As she was approaching the hut, she would be blown about 100' downhill from the trail. We are presuming that she had some injuries from being blown over 100 feet in the air. It was 3:30pm in the afternoon. She would then activate her SPOT. Her husband was called, but his cell phone was turned off. Her office would also receive a phone call. The police received a GPS location where she actually was located. For SAR it was an ugly location.

Please note: There were a number of reports that a PLB was recovered. But, after a long investigation, it was determined that only a SPOT was involved. The final SAR report clearly stated that they only recovered a SPOT. PLB's can handle actual temperatures down to -40F. PLB's can only activated ONCE. We know that she activated the SPOT 11 times. It should be noted that the PLB only sends one signal. The SPOT is capable of transmitting a signal down to -22F. It was colder then -22F that night. 

Edited by _Art_

Have you read the book Where you'll find me?  published by Ty Gagne head of the NH public risk management? if not read it. I have.  That's the real account of what happened straight from the rescuer's mouths. The article you quoted was a second or third hand reporting.  The ResQLink was used and the first activation was the spot she was near when found. The others were gps signals bounced around the mountain from her putting it into her pack actually.  Up there in those conditions she was done anyway when she activated it. as it takes hours for the teams to organize and get up there. 

Edited by capt caper

Etrex 22x and 32x comes with the routable topo map while the 20x and 30x did not. 

No upgrade on the Etrex 10 which would cost them only pennies to upgrade to more RAM to store more geocaches. But maybe that is the point in that line, to make you purchase up. 

On 6/10/2019 at 1:30 PM, klossner said:

The deal-breaker for me was the 66s' inability to display two small data fields on the map page. With four small data fields, the displayed map area is substantially smaller than the displayed map on a 64 with two, negating the advantage of the larger screen. That's the page I live on, and I could not abide losing map space.

I agree.  It is also the main page I use and cannot always have 1/2 the screen covered with 4 data fields.  I love my 66 though so I pretty much leave the the data fields off rather than use four.  When I need information that I would normally have in either of two small data fields, I change screens to see it.  Real pain to deal with, and especially frustrating as it seems like one of those if it is not broken, don't try to fix it things.  I know the reason for this was explained in another post, and quoted below, but that does not make it any less frustrating.

On 3/6/2019 at 4:00 PM, Atlas Cached said:

This is because all newer Garmin GPSr, as far back as the Montana, only allow the one large data field or four small data fields. They do this to keep the Data Field dashboard the same size, regardless of page displayed or portrait/landscape orientation. This greatly simplifies the internal coding needed to display data field dashboards, and as most new units are sharing (in some cases, a lot of) common code, I suspect this is what we will get.

55 minutes ago, Mineral2 said:

On the Oregons (600/700), there is a way to toggle the dashboard in view and out of view (hidden/visible). Does this exist in the 66?

Feature Request #12 at GPSrChive > GPSMAP 66 > Common Issues > Requested Features

If more people bug Garmin (a lot), they might actually add it.....

On 6/8/2019 at 12:20 PM, alandb said:

The GPSMAP 66i apparently has a non replaceable battery (rechargeable lithium ion). Considering what the intended use would be for a device like this, that seems to me like a serious shortcoming. 

On 6/8/2019 at 12:46 PM, Atlas Cached said:

I had the same thought at first that not being able to carry spare AA's would be a limitation with multi-day hikes. Then it occurred to me that my recharge brick is just about the same size and weight as a pack of 4 AA spares. And it would recharge the GPS as well as my phone 4+ times. I would expect the lithium battery to last longer in the first place and if it has a modern charging circuit it would charge quickly. With my phone and its fast charging circuitry, I can connect it to my brick and go from 40% to 100% in 30-40 minutes or so. And I can continue using the phone while it's recharging. Getting rid of my AA's and their charger would not bother me at all. 

28 minutes ago, JohnCNA said:

I had the same thought at first that not being able to carry spare AA's would be a limitation with multi-day hikes. Then it occurred to me that my recharge brick is just about the same size and weight as a pack of 4 AA spares. And it would recharge the GPS as well as my phone 4+ times. I would expect the lithium battery to last longer in the first place and if it has a modern charging circuit it would charge quickly. With my phone and its fast charging circuitry, I can connect it to my brick and go from 40% to 100% in 30-40 minutes or so. And I can continue using the phone while it's recharging. Getting rid of my AA's and their charger would not bother me at all. 

Right on. It is far from a short coming. Li's work in freezing temps better and charge faster and release power evenly down to zero. It's a much larger battery in this one so it would be impossible to change out in this given case and hardware.  Like I said above. Anyone who thinks going on a extended usage trip would use many means available today. Garmin is fully aware what they've built and did so with style. Nice unit.

Nice unit but I'll stick with my ResQlink. Its a fact the 406 mhz and 121mhz and gps linked signals instead of the 2.4 ghz frequencies 66i are much more reliable.  

Edited by capt caper

Count me in as a little confused as to Garmin's lineup, too.

Feels like they are cranking out so many variations just to see what sticks. Especially when it comes to handhelds and wearables. Downside to that is buggy firmware, competing product lines, and poor support. Not sure how much longer this can go on, especially in the era of rapidly advancing smartphones. (And before I get roasted, LOL, yes I know phones and standalone GPS units each have their strengths and weaknesses.)

That being said, I'm secretly hoping they update the eTrex 10. Solid little basic unit with great battery life that doesn't need a huge boost -- more memory would be nice. Was at Cabela's the other day and they had a massive stack of them on the counter. Even the associate remarked how they've never received this many GPS units at once. Perhaps they are being cleared out soon to make room...

if the E-trex 10 gets updated, it would be only to add GLONASS support. But even that is a stretch. I think the only reason it got introduced in the first place was so that Garmin would have a modern, but basic introductory/student model in their line, which used to be the GPS60 and eTrex Legend.

37 minutes ago, Mineral2 said:

if the E-trex 10 gets updated, it would be only to add GLONASS support. But even that is a stretch. I think the only reason it got introduced in the first place was so that Garmin would have a modern, but basic introductory/student model in their line, which used to be the GPS60 and eTrex Legend.

The original eTrex "yellow" would be comparable to the GPS 60. The eTrex Legend was a couple steps up in capability and features.

On 6/19/2019 at 8:48 PM, Mineral2 said:

It has GLONASS support.

1 hour ago, Mineral2 said:

Wait what? I could have sworn GLONASS was added when the 20x and 30x came out. Did the 20 and 30 have it this whole time? Along with the 10?

Yes.

The eTrex x0 series was Garmins first with GLONASS support, which was promoted heavily, as it was a pretty big thing back then.....

Edited by Atlas Cached