Wherigo App (iPhone): Groundspeak API Error

IceColdUK

On the Search screen I’m getting the following error.

656D09F4-8792-491C-BD75-BAEC766964D2.thumb.png.41bd57cf9d2ec129b1bcbaa37111a704.png

If I attempt to Reauthorize, I can log in to my Geocaching account and “Agree” to share, but I get the same error when I’m returned to the Search screen.

DC104824-26F2-4100-BAFC-316888C7278C.thumb.png.b47d066657fddfb08c7ccb7fccdec33c.png

(I realise it is still possible to download cartridges directly from Wherigo.com.)

13 hours ago, IceColdUK said:

Question for moderator: Is this the correct forum for a bug report on the Groundspeak Wherigo app?

Answer from moderator: yes and no.  Yes, if the developer is watching this.  No, if he's not.  Yes, I'd contact him myself if the first answer was a no.

You can get around this by opening the Wherigo site in Safari outside the app.  Go to the download page as you would on the desktop.  Just before the download begins, Safari will ask if you want to open the cartridge in the Wherigo app.  Say yes and it will be done.  So there's a good workaround for things.  That's also how some people load cartridges from the other site.

• Helpful 2
7 hours ago, Ranger Fox said:

Answer from moderator: yes and no.  Yes, if the developer is watching this.  No, if he's not.  Yes, I'd contact him myself if the first answer was a no.

Thanks, but who is the developer?  It’s a Groundspeak app right?  Would it be better to post this in the Geocaching iPhone App forum?

7 hours ago, Ranger Fox said:

You can get around this by opening the Wherigo site in Safari ...

Thanks.  I’d already checked this, but there are people discussing this on social media that have only every downloaded cartridges through the app.

Like most people with an iphone, we get exactly the same error Groundspeak error messages. You can try again or removing the app and reinstalling. Nothing works. The Wherigo app did used to work several weeks ago, so something must have gone wrong. It just there is no help or advice as to when it will be fixed.

spstanley wrote the app and Groundspeak made it their official app later on.  I'm not even sure if Groundspeak has the source code.  All apps are community-made and all but one builder is community-made.

Please be aware that it does take some time for Apple to review app updates and put them in the App Store.

• Helpful 1

I sent an e-mail (following the contact-page), and got this answere:

Thank you for contacting us about Wherigo caches.

At this time we not able to provide technical support for Wherigo. Please try posting your question on the Wherigo forums. These forums are monitored and can usually provide you with the best support.

Best,

Andrew
Geocaching Community Manager.

Well i'm "glad" to know that it is'nt my own problem. But it their answere makes me think that it will take a long long time...

Groundspeak released Wherigo in January 2008. The last Groundspeak update was in mid-2008, unless you count an update they did later on to bring the site’s user credential system’s back end in line with geocaching.com.

Everything has been community-supported since then. Considering Groundspeak tells reviewers to forbid on cache listings the mention of community-made projects, I think it’s understandable for the community to be confused about if we’re appreciated, grudgingly tolerated, or what. So we’re pretty much in a static state, wondering what Groundspeak might do or not. 

• Upvote 1
  • Love 1

Is this API issue going to be corrected?  I had an problem with my phone and it won't restore my data so I have had to rebuild it.  Now any progress I've made on a Wherigo has been lost forever.  It's very disheartening since I drove many miles to work on one of them and I'm not finished.  Now I'll have to start over.  Makes me not want to play anymore Wherigos.  If there is no intention to fix it then just say so.  Yes, I can download the cartridge to the app via Safari but that doesn't restore progress made on any of them.

I've tried the suggested workarounds several times along with smoother shenanigans. The only workaround that has worked for me is this:

Download file to my mac ----> send via AirDrop to my phone ---> open up the WIG app. FINALLY!!

Let's see how it works in the field. 

On 6/6/2019 at 3:30 AM, IceColdUK said:

On the Search screen I’m getting the following error.

656D09F4-8792-491C-BD75-BAEC766964D2.thumb.png.41bd57cf9d2ec129b1bcbaa37111a704.png

If I attempt to Reauthorize, I can log in to my Geocaching account and “Agree” to share, but I get the same error when I’m returned to the Search screen.

DC104824-26F2-4100-BAFC-316888C7278C.thumb.png.b47d066657fddfb08c7ccb7fccdec33c.png

(I realise it is still possible to download cartridges directly from Wherigo.com.)

I am getting this identical error today. What's the fix?

This is not an announcement of a fix.  This is just about what I believe is the cause.  In technical terms, Groundspeak discontinued their WCF service earlier this year, replacing it with a REST API.  Developers had a year's advance notice to update their applications.  In non-technical terms, Groundspeak updated the way applications talk to their services; the Wherigo application, which is not maintained directly by Groundspeak, was not updated.

When using the app, I've always just downloaded cartridges via a browser instead of directly through the app.  I can also download them from the WF site or through my NAS (think like Dropbox or Google Drive, but with about 36TB currently at my control and room to double it).

Either spstanley will update the app or the entire Wherigo developer community will wait to see if Groundspeak wants us to do anything with Wherigo.

• Helpful 1