2.70 fw for GPSMAP 66

But it says "not yet released." If you look at the other GPS software updates, they come a few days to a week before a firmware update. This is weird because in older models, especially the Oregons, GPS versions are updated explicitly with firmware, and that's how it is noted on gpsRchive. But for now, the update has been announced, but not released according to gpsRchive.

5 hours ago, Henne1312 said:

How do I update the GPS-Software? I'm using Garmin Express, Software Version is 3.00, GPS-Software 2.50., so I don't even have the 2.60. Thought Garmin Express would update this as well.

I just updated GE to version 6.14.2.0. may have to do that first......

Edited by Atlas Cached
On 6/5/2019 at 6:49 AM, Atlas Cached said:

I just updated GE to version 6.14.2.0. may have to do that first......

I am on this version and no update for me either.  Express says I am all up to date, but I noticed that I am still on 2.50.  So the 2.60 update from 01May19 shown on the GPSrChive site is not available for my 66 unless there is some manual update I need to force?

9 hours ago, Cheminer Will said:

I am on this version and no update for me either.  Express says I am all up to date, but I noticed that I am still on 2.50.  So the 2.60 update from 01May19 shown on the GPSrChive site is not available for my 66 unless there is some manual update I need to force?

The same with me. GE is updated, but still 3.00/2.50

OK, Garmin is working on this, but they need some additional information:

If Garmin Express is indicating your GPSMAP 66 GPS Software is current at 2.50 or 2.60, can you please navigate to the "C:\ProgramData\Garmin\Logs" directory on your PC, ZIP that directory (right click > send to > compressed folder), and send it to webmaster@GPSrChive.com.

Thank You!

• Upvote 1
1 hour ago, Atlas Cached said:

If Garmin Express is indicating your GPSMAP 66 GPS Software is current at 2.50 or 2.60, can you please navigate to the "C:\ProgramData\Garmin\Logs" directory on your PC, ZIP that directory (right click > send to > compressed folder), and send it to webmaster@GPSrChive.com.

Thank You!

Mail sent.

Thank you!

3 hours ago, Atlas Cached said:

Thanks!  Over at GPSrChive I provided some details on what I was doing before and what I did just now to force and update to 2.70 at least.  I will also send the log file directory.

Well, I'm halfway there, lol. I decided to close down Garmin Express and checked for updates via WebUpdater. It indicated I was up to date but also indicated there were additional updates available. There were two; Chipset 2.60 and a Micronesia Time Zone Map. I downloaded both and now I'm up to GPS Software version 2.60 (from version 2.50). So that's a good start. I tried turning off/on my 66s and rechecking for that elusive 2.70 using both updater and GE, but no luck as yet.

I forgot to note that the newest version of GE (6.14.2.0) has been acting weird on my PC. The blue syncing progress bar was fully blue and never stopped syncing although GE indicated a successful sync. After 15 minutes of syncing, I shut GE down and re-plugged in my 66s and the syncing seemed to work okay...still took awhile, although not as long. I incorrectly thought perhaps that was the 2.70 version loading up,  but it wasn't. This has happened more than once since the GE update. It never happened before that. The syncing duration was always short as there's really not much to sync. For what it's worth...

A similar thing has happened to me on the previous version and still on the latest.  GE is running in the background.  When I connect the 66, sync fails and I eventually get a message to that effect. Something like: "Some items didn't sync. Your 66 has partially synced.  See GE for more information."  Other times it says "Sync Failed..."  If I then manually go into GE it indicates the last sync with no error messages and says I am up to date if it has "partially" synced, and has a red X if it totally failed.   If I click the sync button manually, it does the sync successfully with no error.  It just fails when it tries to do it automatically when the 66 is plugged in.  I have tried both having GE set to launch when a device is plugged in and to not launch. Either way the sync is not successful and GE does not launch.  I was thinking maybe I had some other setting off but there are not too many settings in GE and all looks good.  For now I just manually launch GE, and manually sync and check for updates.

Edited by Cheminer Will
54 minutes ago, luvvinbird said:

The advice on the GPSrchive forum is to wait and see why Garmin has not made the 2.70 upgrade available to all. My 66s is working pretty well, except for the occasional hiccup, so I think I'll follow that advice.

That would be indeed the way to go. I think there are far more urgent things Garmin needs to fix and the chipset isn't one of them.

I learned tonight that the unit doesn’t allow the GPS chipset firmware to be downgraded, as has always been fine with device firmware.

At least without changing the firmware version values in an older gcd file, and recalculating the gcd file checksum. so I did that.

I haven’t used Expedition mode, but there’s a big complaint thread on gpsrchive forum about GPS chipset version 2.70,

which seems to have bigger issues with expedition mode than the previous version.