Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 14
Max and 99

The biggest jewel heist in history!

Recommended Posts

2 hours ago, thebruce0 said:

Yeah I'm hoping the clue distribution is algorithmically distribution for a fairly even density. ie, a person with 500 caches in their city would have a relatively similar number of clue options as someone with 50 in their county. 

 

It becomes a lot more difficult for someone with only 50 in their country, which is a lot more countries that many might expect.   One half of the countries in the world have fewer than 59 caches in the entire country.   

 

For someone that 40 in their county (and lets assume that it's 50 caches previously not found), and even distribution  of clues means there are going to be only 3-4 caches in the county for each clue, and because of the level sequence one must follow the geocacher might be traveling back and forth across the county to obtain all the clues in order.   However,  they might find it easier just to find caches based on where they are geographically (e.g. hit the south eastern part of the county first) then log their finds in an order which allows them to meet the multiple level requirement.   

 

I also wonder if the clue distribution algorithm with take into account the owner of each cache.     A small power trail or series in an area would typically be owned by the same person and often that person is responsible for many of the small series in an area.   Would caches on a small series be more or less likely to get the same clue types or an even distribution across all the caches in the series?

 

In my area, there have been 40 caches placed in the last year within 20 miles of where I live.    Most of them were place by one of two cachers.  

 

Share this post


Link to post

"Teague-Ulmer museum". I didn't catch that until I saw it in writing. :laughing:

  • Funny 1

Share this post


Link to post
9 hours ago, Ambrosia said:

"Teague-Ulmer museum". I didn't catch that until I saw it in writing. :laughing:

Did you catch Gia Coyne?

Share this post


Link to post
2 hours ago, Tungstène said:
12 hours ago, Ambrosia said:

"Teague-Ulmer museum". I didn't catch that until I saw it in writing. :laughing:

Did you catch Gia Coyne?

Yes, I did!

 

Question - the FAQ's say Event caches, and New caches published during the promo will receive the detective clue (the first one you need to get to move forward).  Are those the only sources of the detective clue?  That could make it tough in areas that don't have much activity.  Of course, other caches will likely contain the detective clue, but that isn't clear in the FAQ's, only that Events and new caches WILL contain that clue for sure.  That could potentially up the attendance at local events, as well as increase finds on new caches! 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
2 hours ago, CAVinoGal said:

Question - the FAQ's say Event caches, and New caches published during the promo will receive the detective clue (the first one you need to get to move forward).  Are those the only sources of the detective clue?  That could make it tough in areas that don't have much activity.  Of course, other caches will likely contain the detective clue, but that isn't clear in the FAQ's, only that Events and new caches WILL contain that clue for sure.  That could potentially up the attendance at local events, as well as increase finds on new caches! 

 

 

 

Well... You surprised me! In the french-localized FAQ, which was my source of information, there is no precision about the kind of clue you'll get in newly published geocaches. Instead of that, it only says that "a" clue will be present in each event and in each cache published during the promo. It's a big difference!

 

I just checked german FAQ: it says the same as the english FAQ ("Inspektor-Hinweis" stands for "detective clue")...

Share this post


Link to post

A question: what do you think the Leaderboard will show, if the Leaderboard isn't used for this promotion.  Is it just a quick link to click on your friends to see their activity on their profile?

 

Does Mystery at the Museum incorporate the Leaderboard?

Mystery at the Museum does not incorporate the Leaderboard, but you can still use the Leaderboard to keep track of friends’ geocaching activity.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Posted (edited)
On 6/21/2019 at 6:10 AM, niraD said:

Imagine that you invest time (and money) preparing a family recipe for a potluck. That evening, at the potluck, people don't even taste your dish. Instead, someone grabs a portion, takes it outside, and uses it to scrub road grime from the alloy rims of a custom car.

 

Wouldn't you be disappointed? Is it really petty to be disappointed in such a situation?

You're joking right?  Please tell me you don't actually think that's the same thing at all.

 

A cachers goes and find a cache.  Another cacher goes and finds the cache.  Exactly as per the game of geocaching.  CO gets upset because he thinks the second cacher's reason for finding his cache was not a worthy one.

 

At no point does any cacher do anything untowards, harm the cache in any way, or insult the CO.

 

Seriously, I think you've lost the plot.

 

Using your cooking analogy, a more fitting example would be:

Imagine you invest time (and money) preparing a family recipe for a potluck.  That evening, at the potluck, a bunch of people try your dish and enjoy it.  One of them, you notice, takes a bowl of it and dips a piece of bread in it.  While they too appear to be enjoying your delicious dish, for some reason you are horribly insulted by this and smack the bowl out of their hands.  You then refuse to ever attend a potluck dinner again.

 

Yes it is EXTREMELY petty to be upset about WHY a cacher comes and finds your cache.

Edited by funkymunkyzone
Added better example :)

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, funkymunkyzone said:

At no point does any cacher do anything untowards, harm the cache in any way, or insult the CO.

Agreed.

 

1 hour ago, funkymunkyzone said:

One of them, you notice, takes a bowl of it and dips a piece of bread in it.

I don't think that's a comparable analogy at all.

 

1 hour ago, funkymunkyzone said:

While they too appear to be enjoying your delicious dish, for some reason you are horribly insulted by this and smack the bowl out of their hands.

Definitely not a comparable analogy. No one is smacking the cache out of anyone's hands.

 

Let's try again. Imagine that you're running a Michelin-starred restaurant. For a few years, the diners rave about the cuisine, the service, and the atmosphere of your restaurant. Everything is great.

 

Then you notice a shift. The dinners no longer mention any of that. Some diners mention only that the diner finally visited a Michelin-starred restaurant, and could check that off the bucket list. Other diners mention only that they could finally claim to have eaten at a restaurant that serves 9-course meals (although they only had dessert). Other diners mention only that they had finally visited a restaurant with the letter J in its name. And so on. Is everything still great?

 

With a restaurant, you can look at other things to see whether your work is appreciated. Are you still making a profit? Is the demand for reservations falling off, or holding steady? Is the staff still receiving generous tips from the customers? And so on. But with a geocache, all you have to go by are the comments left by your "customers".

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
12 minutes ago, niraD said:

Then you notice a shift. The dinners no longer mention any of that. Some diners mention only that the diner finally visited a Michelin-starred restaurant, and could check that off the bucket list. Other diners mention only that they could finally claim to have eaten at a restaurant that serves 9-course meals (although they only had dessert). Other diners mention only that they had finally visited a restaurant with the letter J in its name. And so on. Is everything still great?

 

Then, this current promo, looking for caches that contain "clues" is really no different than seeking out specific caches that help you with a challenge.  I'm currently looking for caches that start with the number 7, one parameter missing from a challenge.  Going after that cache would be no different than finding a spcific cache in my area that contains a clue - I still have to go the location, find the cache, and sign the logsheet.  And if my caches, premium or not, happen to help someone fulfill a challenge, I can't control that.  Just like I can't control if my caches will contain the coveted "clues", even if they are just digital.

 

I only hope newbie (or even veteran) cachers understand these clues are digital, not physical.  And that if there are clues available on my PMO hides, only Premium members can see those.  Or maybe all the clues will be on regular hides?  Or all caches are opened up to all players?  Guess we'll just have to wait and see...

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, niraD said:

Let's try again. Imagine that you're running a Michelin-starred restaurant. For a few years, the diners rave about the cuisine, the service, and the atmosphere of your restaurant. Everything is great.

 

Then you notice a shift. The dinners no longer mention any of that. Some diners mention only that the diner finally visited a Michelin-starred restaurant, and could check that off the bucket list. Other diners mention only that they could finally claim to have eaten at a restaurant that serves 9-course meals (although they only had dessert). Other diners mention only that they had finally visited a restaurant with the letter J in its name. And so on. Is everything still great?

 

With a restaurant, you can look at other things to see whether your work is appreciated. Are you still making a profit? Is the demand for reservations falling off, or holding steady? Is the staff still receiving generous tips from the customers? And so on. But with a geocache, all you have to go by are the comments left by your "customers".

 

Now you've changed your mind.  So now you're saying it's not about why people go visit the cache, but what they write in their logs...?

 

Interesting because I reckon I see more mundane boring find logs on caches when people *aren't* targeting a cache for a particular reason, because when they are (for jasmer, etc) the cache is part of a larger adventure and the cacher has probably gone to extra effort to get this cache find...

 

I still go back to my original point - if you put out a cache with expectations on why people will find your cache and what they will write in the logs, then you probably have control issues and this ain't the hobby for you.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
2 minutes ago, funkymunkyzone said:

Now you've changed your mind.  So now you're saying it's not about why people go visit the cache, but what they write in their logs...?

Going back to my posts on page 1 of this thread, it's always ultimately about what is written in the logs. How else would the CO get the impression that their adventure cache has become "just another checkbox for someone trying to complete some challenge cache" or "another box in the Fizzy/Jasmer/Whatever grid" if the online logs didn't say that?

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, niraD said:

I don't think that's a comparable analogy at all.

I think it is, but ok let's try another for you...

 

On 6/21/2019 at 6:10 AM, niraD said:

Imagine that you invest time (and money) preparing a family recipe for a potluck. That evening, at the potluck, people don't even taste your dish. Instead, someone grabs a portion, takes it outside, and uses it to scrub road grime from the alloy rims of a custom car.

Imagine that you invest time (and money) preparing a family recipe for a potluck. That evening, at the potluck, you notice that someone tries a little bit of every dish, and happens to mention to you that they did this and all the dishes were really nice.  Someone else tries your dish because it's beef and last time they ate fish.  They also thank you for your dish. Etc etc etc

 

Share this post


Link to post
3 minutes ago, niraD said:

Going back to my posts on page 1 of this thread, it's always ultimately about what is written in the logs. How else would the CO get the impression that their adventure cache has become "just another checkbox for someone trying to complete some challenge cache" or "another box in the Fizzy/Jasmer/Whatever grid" if the online logs didn't say that?

 

You said "They wanted people to seek their caches for the adventure their caches provided".

 

Anyway, I'm done here... I'm going to go find caches for all the reasons *I* want to do so!

 

Happy caching :)

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
On 6/22/2019 at 8:22 AM, Tungstène said:
On 6/21/2019 at 10:48 PM, Ambrosia said:

"Teague-Ulmer museum". I didn't catch that until I saw it in writing. :laughing:

Did you catch Gia Coyne?

 

That one is a bit easier to catch when she says it. :)

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
14 hours ago, funkymunkyzone said:

You said "They wanted people to seek their caches for the adventure their caches provided".  

Hence the disappointment when logs mentioned nothing about the adventure of the cache, and only mentioned whatever sidegame the cache checked a box for.

 

It doesn't have to be either-or. It can be both-and.

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post

And it can be just as <insert derogatory term> to have the attitude that "I can play how I want" and if the CO is bothered at all then it's entirely their fault.

So, maybe we can get back on topic and chat about the Mystery at the Museum?

  • Helpful 2
  • Love 1

Share this post


Link to post
17 minutes ago, niraD said:

Hence the disappointment when logs mentioned nothing about the adventure of the cache, and only mentioned whatever sidegame the cache checked a box for.

 

We know a few who want to can their cache (most are around a while...) because they're the reason caches all around them are there.   :)

Those "on the way to..." pill bottle caches placed on the way (and just a little past...) to that ammo can a couple miles in the woods. 

Most logs now say "found on the way through...",  making it appear they have no clue that cache was what most were after for ten years, until the "others" were placed.  Don't even notice it's an ammo can in the middle of taped plastic either I guess.

I can see that long-time Owner feeling disrespected, with no FPs  (because it's been there eight years  before FPs) and logs that only make him a part of a PT. 

I go to those at-the-end caches, skipping all the carp around it. 

Can't win, 'cause those pill bottle owners wanna know why you passed them by.   :D

 - Like they don't know...

 

  • Helpful 1
  • Love 1

Share this post


Link to post
16 hours ago, CAVinoGal said:

Then, this current promo, looking for caches that contain "clues" is really no different than seeking out specific caches that help you with a challenge.

And we're back on topic!

 

Yeah, that was my original point about "The biggest jewel heist in history!"

 

It isn't all bad. I really enjoyed a promotion a few years ago where each Souvenir was tied to a different type of cache. One required a D5 or T5 cache. Another required a cache with a certain number of Favorite points. And so on. In comparison, "The biggest jewel heist in history!" seems pretty random, and completely numbers based.

 

But either could be seen as a side game that encourages people to log caches for a reason other than the cache itself.

Share this post


Link to post
On 6/20/2019 at 11:57 AM, colleda said:

Is it possible to explain what's going on in 50 words or less for this old timer.

 

The challenge will involve finding different caches that the site has selected as having a digital "clue."

 

There are different types of clues and different levels for each souvenir, starting with "detective."  Use search filters to find different clues.

 

See the FAQ for more details.

 

Word count: 45  :anibad:

  • Funny 1

Share this post


Link to post
26 minutes ago, hzoi said:

The challenge will involve finding different caches that the site has selected as having a digital "clue."

There are different types of clues and different levels for each souvenir, starting with "detective."  Use search filters to find different clues.

See the FAQ for more details.

Word count: 45  :anibad:

 

Ah, appeal to authority!  ;)

 

48 minutes ago, niraD said:

I really enjoyed a promotion a few years ago where each Souvenir was tied to a different type of cache. One required a D5 or T5 cache. Another required a cache with a certain number of Favorite points. And so on. In comparison, "The biggest jewel heist in history!" seems pretty random, and completely numbers based.

 

In theory, the clue types themselves could be connected to a cache property; maybe even the jewels (by colour?). Who know. Bryan Roth was on Geocache Talk on Sunday discussing the promo. I don't recall any clarification to the clue placement algorithm though. (I was partly distracted by paddling in a kayak at the time, heh)

Share this post


Link to post
18 hours ago, niraD said:

 

 

But either could be seen as a side game that encourages people to log caches for a reason other than the cache itself.

 

One thing in the favor of this promotion is that, because new caches will only get the detective clue, it's not going to encourage the hiding of caches solely for the side game.  

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
4 minutes ago, NYPaddleCacher said:

 

One thing in the favor of this promotion is that, because new caches will only get the detective clue, it's not going to encourage the hiding of caches solely for the side game.  

... except events ;) .

 

Within 10km of my home, there are already two events on July 11th, for the explicit purpose that attendees can get the first clue as quickly and easily as possible.

Share this post


Link to post
Posted (edited)

That shouldn't bother anyone at all. And actually that is a good thing because whether the event is used optimally or not is unimportant; it's an opportunity for geocachers to meet foce to face and be social and likely even do some geocaching thing.

 

ETA: fixed

Edited by thebruce0
  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
24 minutes ago, thebruce0 said:

That should bother anyone at all. And actually that is a good thing because whether the event is used optimally or not is unimportant; it's an opportunity for geocachers to meet foce to face and be social and likely even do some geocaching thing.

 

Who are you to decide what should bother someone else?   There's nothing necessarily wrong with events. It just feels like gaming the system when a challenge is issued then some use an event, something designed to provide the opportunity for face to face social interaction, primarily for the purpose of completing the challenge.   

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Posted (edited)
54 minutes ago, thebruce0 said:

That should NOT bother anyone at all. And actually that is a good thing because whether the event is used optimally or not is unimportant; it's an opportunity for geocachers to meet foce to face and be social and likely even do some geocaching thing.

 

typo fixed.

 

16 minutes ago, NYPaddleCacher said:

Who are you to decide what should bother someone else?

 

I am no one.

But if someone is bothered because an event is being held somewhere, I would very much like to know a reasonable criticism as to why any random event should be considered a Bad Thing in the context of a promotion like this. Other than "well I don't like it"

I'm making the point that it shouldn't bother anyone. Feel free to disagree. But I'd like to know why (cuz, you know, respectable discussion =P)

 

16 minutes ago, NYPaddleCacher said:

It just feels like gaming the system when a challenge is issued then some use an event, something designed to provide the opportunity for face to face social interaction, primarily for the purpose of completing the challenge. 

 

Unlike a physical geocache which has a lasting presence in the physical world, a reasonable gathering of people per an allowed event affects no one but those who choose to attend. Who cares what the event is for? It's here and it's gone. If you don't go, then someone else gets a smiley you didn't get. That's not the same as being critical of "everyone plays their own way" which is a mentality that can and does directly impact people negatively when it's held to a boundless self-focused ethic. An event? c'mon... If someone wants to list an event, and it's allowed by reviewers, then who cares whether it's for a challenge, a promo, a birthday, a dance, a cache, whatever... Being upset about an event held solely because of a promo is really, in my opinion, a waste of energy. Go find a cache instead. Or go to the event to see people but don't log it Attended :P

Edited by thebruce0

Share this post


Link to post
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, NYPaddleCacher said:

It just feels like gaming the system when a challenge is issued then some use an event, something designed to provide the opportunity for face to face social interaction, primarily for the purpose of completing the challenge.   

 

Except when HQ encourages the creation of such events. I've held events in the past for the sole purpose of helping people earn a souvenir.

 

I currently have an event in July that corresponds to the first weekend of the summer promotion. It was coincidental, since I was planning an event in July anyway. But when the blog post mentioned that cachers could earn a specific "clue" for attending an event, I figured I might as write the description to match the promotion. This won't diminish the fact that its still a social event.

Edited by igator210

Share this post


Link to post

Exactly. Like, big woop if you get a souvenir. It's a social event. That's what events are for. Even if they're not social, that can happen when there's no souvenir to earn as well. It's just an event. Host, Attend or let it be :)

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
8 hours ago, igator210 said:

Except when HQ encourages the creation of such events. I've held events in the past for the sole purpose of helping people earn a souvenir.

 

 

Yes, like the "Where in the world is Signal?" souvenirs a few years back. The only way to get that souvenir was to attend an event on the designated dates, and if nobody created such events because they might be seen as gaming the system, no-one would have got the souvenir.

Share this post


Link to post
9 hours ago, thebruce0 said:

That shouldn't bother anyone at all. And actually that is a good thing because whether the event is used optimally or not is unimportant; it's an opportunity for geocachers to meet foce to face and be social and likely even do some geocaching thing.

Well, it doesn't bother me (I actually plan to attend one of these events ;) ). I just mentioned the event creation in reaction to NYPaddleCacher saying that nobody hides caches only for the souvenirs.

Share this post


Link to post

I'm hoping that my favorite caching partner and I have some common unfound geocaches for this promotion. I assume, and maybe I shouldn't, that the selected caches won't be high T or high D.  He's in a wheelchair, so lower T is preferred. 6 days till we find out. 

Share this post


Link to post
Posted (edited)
On 6/7/2019 at 4:33 AM, funkymunkyzone said:

effectively discourages me from caching (around my home city) when there is no promotion on.

 

Yes, I found myself avoiding Earthcaches unless I'm traveling [way] out of town, in anticipation of International Earthcache Day.  The only ones I haven't found are more than 30 miles away.  Of the 10 in the 40 miles range, 6 require a boat.  

  🏊‍♂️ 😉 

Maybe I should just get over that Souvenir day.

Edited by VAVAPAM
just a thought

Share this post


Link to post

Is anyone deliberately NOT finding caches this week in anticipation of local caches having those "clues"?  I'm happy that we are traveling for a week - 10 days during the promo so we'll have new territory to explore and a better chance of finding the # of caches we need.  After last year's challenge to ourselves to find a cache every day in 2018, we don't have many local ones left to find!

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
2 minutes ago, CAVinoGal said:

Is anyone deliberately NOT finding caches this week in anticipation of local caches having those "clues"?  I'm happy that we are traveling for a week - 10 days during the promo so we'll have new territory to explore and a better chance of finding the # of caches we need.  After last year's challenge to ourselves to find a cache every day in 2018, we don't have many local ones left to find!

Yes.

Ditto!

Share this post


Link to post
On 7/5/2019 at 11:13 PM, Max and 99 said:

I see the jewels in the store.

Is that an app thing, or are those available to those of us with a computer & GPSr?

 

I haven't seen anything on the website search page related to the clues yet. Is this going to be a last minute thing?

Share this post


Link to post
34 minutes ago, K13 said:

Is that an app thing, or are those available to those of us with a computer & GPSr?

 

I haven't seen anything on the website search page related to the clues yet. Is this going to be a last minute thing?

The jewels are available to anyone who has money to spend on Shop Geocaching. 

  • Helpful 1

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, K13 said:

Is that an app thing, or are those available to those of us with a computer & GPSr?

 

I haven't seen anything on the website search page related to the clues yet. Is this going to be a last minute thing?

 

Max and 99 were referring to Mystery at the Museum's official merchandise.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Posted (edited)
On 6/18/2019 at 12:50 PM, igator210 said:

(It appears the threshold is very low at 22 caches for the first three souvenirs)

 

This is another promotion that heavily favors the new cacher.

Or those who are in a cache-poor area.

 

I'm wondering if COs will get to know if their cache contains a virtual clue (if they haven't created a new one).

 

Also whether, since the clue is virtual, its location is not static. As in, Clue A for Player A might be contained in (awarded for finding) Cache A, while Clue A for Player B might be "in" a different cache.

Edited by VAVAPAM
$!×÷&@ spell checker

Share this post


Link to post
Posted (edited)
7 minutes ago, VAVAPAM said:

I'm wondering if COs will get to know if their cache contains a virtual clue (if they haven't created a new one).

 

Also whether, since the clue is virtual, its location is not static. As in, Clue A for Player A might be contained in (awarded for finding) Cache A, while Clue A for Player B might be "in" a different cache.

 

I won't be surprised to see a lot of threads pop up about "no clue after a bunch of caches", "wasn't I supposed to get a clue, and where/when would I see one?" B)

 

 

Edited by kunarion
  • Upvote 1
  • Funny 2

Share this post


Link to post
41 minutes ago, VAVAPAM said:
On 6/18/2019 at 12:50 PM, igator210 said:

(It appears the threshold is very low at 22 caches for the first three souvenirs)

 

This is another promotion that heavily favors the new cacher.

Or those who are in a cache-poor area.

 

Those that live in a cache poor area most likely have found most of the caches in the area.  They'll have to travel further, in some cases to an entirely other country, to find clues.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
9 hours ago, K13 said:

Is that an app thing, or are those available to those of us with a computer & GPSr?

 

I haven't seen anything on the website search page related to the clues yet. Is this going to be a last minute thing?

If you are using the old Dashboard page, there is no link there.  The NEW Dashboard has a link to Mystery at the Museum, on the left hand side:

image.png.d76e91fac02b70fa44dda73261911668.png 

Share this post


Link to post
2 hours ago, NYPaddleCacher said:

 

Those that live in a cache poor area most likely have found most of the caches in the area.  They'll have to travel further, in some cases to an entirely other country, to find clues.

 

I'm hoping to activate a couple of new caches, timed for the promotion.  Maybe others are encouraged to post new caches.

 

Sure I could submit them today, but it never hurts to let a cache sit a little longer, especially if you're not positive it's not a hangout or other occasionally muggly spot.

  • Upvote 1
  • Helpful 1

Share this post


Link to post
Posted (edited)
On ‎7‎/‎6‎/‎2019 at 12:13 AM, Max and 99 said:

I see the jewels in the store.

 

Geogems are making a comeback ?    Haven't seen them in some time (you think anyone would leave one in a cache :-D).

Both of us picked up one at a geocoinfest in '08.   :)

 

Edited by cerberus1
splleling

Share this post


Link to post
3 hours ago, CAVinoGal said:

If you are using the old Dashboard page, there is no link there.  The NEW Dashboard has a link to Mystery at the Museum, on the left hand side:

image.png.d76e91fac02b70fa44dda73261911668.png 

Ok. So I have to downgrade my user experience to see this promotion. 

Pity. 

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post

Here's something that hasn't been addressed (to my knowledge, anyway): Will only physical caches and events have clues?  I realize it is implied that only physical caches have clues (how can something be "inside of" a virtual cache), yet clues will be "contained" by events.  (Sorry if this appears pedantic, but I genuinely am curious.)

 

Also, when will the geocaching.com search for clues be enabled so those of us who choose not to own or use smartphones can participate?

Share this post


Link to post

and now the start of the promo is within sight! I would have cached yesterday, but it was rainy, and the holiday weekend caught up with me, and I suppose I wanted to save some for the promo too :)

I am pretty excited to see how this one plays out, looks like lots of fun, and a challenge too

Share this post


Link to post
On 7/6/2019 at 4:31 AM, VAVAPAM said:

Yes, I found myself avoiding Earthcaches unless I'm traveling [way] out of town, in anticipation of International Earthcache Day.  The only ones I haven't found are more than 30 miles away.  Of the 10 in the 40 miles range, 6 require a boat.  

  🏊‍♂️ 😉 

Maybe I should just get over that Souvenir day.

 

We have a challenge in Ontario for finding 10 Earthcaches requiring the boat attribute.  Maybe you should go find them all :)

 

On 7/7/2019 at 8:20 AM, VAVAPAM said:

Also whether, since the clue is virtual, its location is not static. As in, Clue A for Player A might be contained in (awarded for finding) Cache A, while Clue A for Player B might be "in" a different cache.

 

That question was answered (can't remember if an FAQ or the Geocache Talk episode with Bryan Roth) that all clues would be in the same listings for everyone.

 

19 hours ago, K13 said:

Ok. So I have to downgrade my user experience to see this promotion. 

Pity. 

 

Bookmark the homepage for the promotion. The promotion does not require you to be using the latest version of the dashboard. (that we know of thus far)

  • Helpful 1

Share this post


Link to post
22 hours ago, kunarion said:

 

I'm hoping to activate a couple of new caches, timed for the promotion.  Maybe others are encouraged to post new caches.

 

Sure I could submit them today, but it never hurts to let a cache sit a little longer, especially if you're not positive it's not a hangout or other occasionally muggly spot.

 

from my reading of the description of the promotion, all new caches (published during the promotion period) will get the detective clue.  That implies to me that caches published prior to the start of the promotion may get one of the other clues, so submitting the caches today might make them more attractive if they get one of the rarer clues.  

Share this post


Link to post
5 hours ago, GO Geiger said:

Here's something that hasn't been addressed (to my knowledge, anyway): Will only physical caches and events have clues?  I realize it is implied that only physical caches have clues (how can something be "inside of" a virtual cache), yet clues will be "contained" by events.  (Sorry if this appears pedantic, but I genuinely am curious.)

 

Also, when will the geocaching.com search for clues be enabled so those of us who choose not to own or use smartphones can participate?

All the clues are virtual. There's no physical cache necessary to hide them.

 

Yes, you will be able to use the geocaching website to search for caches that have the clues you need.

Share this post


Link to post
2 minutes ago, Max and 99 said:

All the clues are virtual. There's no physical cache necessary to hide them.

 

Yes, you will be able to use the geocaching website to search for caches that have the clues you need.

I understand that the clues are virtual - I was asking whether virtual caches would "contain" clues.

 

I also understand that the website will allow you to search for the clues - I was curious as to when we'd be able to use the website to perform that search (i.e. can we start planning caching trips tomorrow and know what caches to target, or must we wait until Thursday to plan the trip - I know that we cannot actually accrue clues to our account until after July 11th).

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 14

×
×
  • Create New...