The biggest jewel heist in history!

2 hours ago, GO Geiger said:

I also understand that the website will allow you to search for the clues - I was curious as to when we'd be able to use the website to perform that search (i.e. can we start planning caching trips tomorrow and know what caches to target, or must we wait until Thursday to plan the trip - I know that we cannot actually accrue clues to our account until after July 11th).

All of us, whether using the app, or the website to plan trips, search for caches, etc., must wait until July 11 for these "clues" to magically appear in caches.  

The "search" will consist of using filters to sort caches by what type of clue they contain.

I was thinking our upcoming road trip would make this promo easier, new cache territory to explore and all.  The promo starts Thursday and we leave on the weekend, likely find all the initial clues on the road.  BUT, if each cache only contains one type of clue, and you have to log all the evidence clues before "recovering" any of the jewels, it could change and complicate the way I (and my husband) typically log our finds.  We log in order of find time and date (and hubby tends to log on his phone right at the cache so it's DONE) - and if we happen to grab a bunch of jewel caches before collecting all the evidence clues, well, that would entail rearranging our caching chronology.  Or we can hope that we find all the evidence early on and then find a bunch of caches to collect all the jewels.  I guess we'll play it by ear, see how the first few clues play out, and how many jewels we see before we qualify to log them.  It may turn out to be a non-issue, and we may end up making a couple of days into "find a bunch of jewels" type caching days.  Time will tell.

Edited by CAVinoGal
7 hours ago, thebruce0 said:

We have a challenge in Ontario for finding 10 Earthcaches requiring the boat attribute.  Maybe you should go find them all :)

Oh wow.  Thanks for that perspective; I might just have to do that.

About face!  Forward. March!

8 hours ago, thebruce0 said:

all clues would be in the same listings for everyone. 

OK, thanks for that.  I'll recheck the sources you mention for what I missed.

So if the static location for a clue is in a particular cache, and it's owned by somebody needing a clue ... ?  (I'm thinking cache poor areas again.)

Edited by VAVAPAM
person
On 7/7/2019 at 1:23 PM, cerberus1 said:

Geogems are making a comeback ?    Haven't seen them in some time (you think anyone would leave one in a cache :-D).

Both of us picked up one at a geocoinfest in '08.   :)

I saw those and was wondering if they disappeared regularly.

Nevermind. Don't care. Gonna get some.

Edited by VAVAPAM
56 minutes ago, VAVAPAM said:

I saw those and was wondering if they disappeared regularly.

Nevermind. Don't care. Gonna get some.

I got a green one, she got blue.  I don't think we've ever seen one in a cache because of their appearance. 

Most we know never even activated 'em.   They are cool though.  :)

Some new free app user finds one of those, expect a barrage of new players.  Treasure hunt !    :D

• Helpful 1
  • Love 1
14 hours ago, VAVAPAM said:

So if the static location for a clue is in a particular cache, and it's owned by somebody needing a clue ... ?  (I'm thinking cache poor areas again.)

I don't think there's too much to worry about lack of clues unless you've cleared out a 40km+ swath of caches in your home location. But, we don't know how they'll be dispersed. My hope is that it's by land density, not cache density, so people in sparsely populated findable-cache regions have as much chance at getting gems as people in densely populated findable-cache regions.

eg, 10 caches along a 10km trail could have the same chance at having 5 clues as 40 caches along a 10km trail.

• Helpful 1

Is this jewel heist promo a ploy to get us to use the new "Search Map" to seek out caches with particular clues?  Reading the FAQ's it seems you have to open a cache page, or search for caches that contain the clues, so the "Browse Map" won't be as efficient as the "Search Map" for zeroing in on target caches.  Hmmm....

• Surprised 2
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, CAVinoGal said:

Is this jewel heist promo a ploy to get us to use the new "Search Map" to seek out caches with particular clues?  Reading the FAQ's it seems you have to open a cache page, or search for caches that contain the clues, so the "Browse Map" won't be as efficient as the "Search Map" for zeroing in on target caches.  Hmmm.... 

Maybe it's not a bad thing to use the promotion to showcase the Search Map's capabilities. I almost never use the Search Map because I'm used to the Browse Map and generally happy with the information I get from it. If I have to use the Search Map for the promo, I will get an idea of what it can do (which I haven't bothered to do so far) and when it might be the right tool for what I intend to accomplish. 

• Upvote 1
  • Helpful 2
53 minutes ago, Windstorm+ said:
2 hours ago, CAVinoGal said:

Maybe it's not a bad thing to use the promotion to showcase the Search Map's capabilities. I almost never use the Search Map because I'm used to the Browse Map and generally happy with the information I get from it. If I have to use the Search Map for the promo, I will get an idea of what it can do (which I haven't bothered to do so far) and when it might be the right tool for what I intend to accomplish. 

I don't doubt that encouraging use of the new search map is a factor. But you can also search using the official app.  It sounds like you'll also be able to see the info in popups and/or the listing itself. I'm guessing the map may even highlight which caches have which clue.

If you really don't want to use the search function and/or search map, then you could probably minimize your exposure to it by doing a maximum search for specific clues, then adding them all to a list(s), and working from that/them moving forward.

It would be nice if the browse map also had indicators of which caches had clues. Even if there wasn't a filter option added to the sidebar.

9 hours ago, thebruce0 said:

I don't think there's too much to worry about lack of clues unless you've cleared out a 40km+ swath of caches in your home location. But, we don't know how they'll be dispersed. My hope is that it's by land density, not cache density, so people in sparsely populated findable-cache regions have as much chance at getting gems as people in densely populated findable-cache regions.

eg, 10 caches along a 10km trail could have the same chance at having 5 clues as 40 caches along a 10km trail.

I'm struggling to see how something like that relating to population density could be implemented easily enough to justify doing it for just a four-week promotion. GC's database only stores country and state so delving down to county level would require considerable coding to match coordinates to boundaries and that code would need to be run on every cache on the planet. And if they just go by states, well my state (New South Wales) has a muggle population of nearly 8 million (the highest in the country) but they're mostly concentrated in Sydney and the satellite cities of Newcastle and Wollongong. The average population density for the state is just 10 people per square kilometre, compared to 27 in Victoria and a crushing 179 people per square kilometre in the ACT. Does that mean the ACT will get 18 times the number of caches with clues than New South Wales? I'm sure that'd make Goldenwattle happy :).

Edited by barefootjeff
4 hours ago, barefootjeff said:

I'm struggling to see how something like that relating to population density could be implemented easily enough to justify doing it for just a four-week promotion. GC's database only stores country and state so delving down to county level would require considerable coding to match coordinates to boundaries and that code would need to be run on every cache on the planet

I mention this in another post theorizing about how they may populate clues. If they are populating the entire world anyway, then it's not much additional code to sense a local density around that coordinate. But I don't think they're populating by flag for every single active cache worldwide. More likely, I think they're flagging either by an arbitrary universal property (such as GC code) which determines a clue type on viewing, or a flag is set the first time anyone views the listing after the 11th.   The last option might cause a slight slowdown for the first few days as everyone worldwide actively queries cache data for various regions. So who knows what method they're populating clues. At this point it's all speculation.

The least server intense would be to have a cache property determine the clue type (whether the clue type is related to the property or it's selected at random, such as every 5th cache ID is one clue type, every 10th is another, etc, for example). That method doesn't analyze local cach density, unless the server, on first cache viewing, factors in a local density algorithm in the clue type selection.

Anyway, point being, there are a few ways they could determine which caches have which clues, and how they're chosen. And if caches are gaining an additional property that tells us the clue type, then either the server will be hit while it sets flags worldwide, or the hit will be distributed as people view caches for the first time.  If it's not a new property and the clue type is determined by an existing property, there'll be no additional server hit, but no sensing and adjusting to localized cache distribution.

One way to tell after the 11th could be for a CO to edit a bunch of properties in a published cache listing and see if the associated clue changes with it :)

8 hours ago, Windstorm+ said:
9 hours ago, CAVinoGal said:

You put a more positive spin on it, Windstorm+ !  And I agree, ' If I have to use the Search Map for the promo, I will get an idea of what it can do (which I haven't bothered to do so far) and when it might be the right tool for what I intend to accomplish. '  Well said.

3 minutes ago, LizzyRN said:

I'm not sure if this has been addressed yet. Just curious....

Does anything think the "jewels" will be released over a couple weeks time since the event is 4 weeks long? 

Thanks.

No, I don't think so. That's too limiting on geocachers.

20 minutes ago, colleda said:

Looks like 11/7 Seattle time is the start. It's been 11/7 for almost 17 hours here. Found a few so far today but no clues have appeared. Be patient grasshopper.

It starts at noon UTC which is 10pm here, so another 5 hours. My car was being serviced today so I took the train down to Sydney and did the new virtual in the Botanical Gardens, but I'll wait until after 10pm to submit my log just in case it contains the detective clue.

55 minutes ago, colleda said:

Looks like 11/7 Seattle time is the start. It's been 11/7 for almost 17 hours here. Found a few so far today but no clues have appeared. Be patient grasshopper.

Noon UTC is 7 a.m. in central USA, in case anyone was wondering and 5 a.m. Seattle time.

Edited by Max and 99
1 minute ago, barefootjeff said:

I'm also confused as filtering by the detective clue shows the same number of caches as not filtering at all. Does this mean every cache has a detective clue or is it broken already?

I'm thinking things might make more sense after I find one cache that is supposed to have the Detective Clue. But the message shown on that cache (see my post above) is what had me confused.  I know it wasn't intended to, but it makes me think "Oh, I can't get a clue from this cache until I find a Clue." 

4 minutes ago, CaracalShan said:

Same here: when I filter from the search-page, I get a list of caches with the detective clue. However, when I map these caches, all caches in my area show up (even after trying to filter on the map-page)...

I'm getting the same results.  It appears the filter only works on the search page, and not on the map view.

EDIT:  I was able to workaround by creating a list using the clue-filtered search results, and then viewing the map for that list.

Edited by Voltgloss

I just logged the virtual I did today, making sure I waited until after the starting time before hitting Submit, and although that cache is shown when filtering for the detective clue, it still says I haven't found the clue and the main Mystery at the Museum page on the dashboard still shows I need to find one. Not a good start.

• Upvote 1

Hi everyone,

I've been monitoring this forum thread and wanted to take a moment and confirm that we at HQ are also seeing issues regarding searching for clues as part of The Mystery at the Museum summer campaign.  We are only seeing this behavior on the web.  Until we can correct the issue that is happening on the web, one alternative to continue playing the game is to the mobile experience.

We are looking into it right now and will hopefully have a fix soon.  I'll report back when I have more information to share.  

My sincerest apologies,

Brendan Walsh

brendanjw

Edited by brendanjw
  • Upvote 3
  • Helpful 1
Just now, brendanjw said:

Hi everyone,

I've been monitoring this forum thread and wanted to take a moment and confirm that we at HQ are also seeing issues regarding searching for clues as part of The Mystery at the Museum summer campaign.  We are only seeing this behavior on the web and are looking into it right now and will hopefully have a fix soon.  I'll report back when I have more information to share.  

My sincerest apologies,

Brendan Walsh

brendanjw

Thanks, Brendan!

Okay, using the Search page and looking for detective clues in New South Wales (Australia), I'm seeing a couple of oddities. A full third of those caches are disabled, compared to the unfiltered disabled percentage of just 2.5%. In fact, nearly all the disabled caches here have the clue (417 out of 444). And one of the caches shown as having the clue is an event set down for the 17th of August. Doesn't this promotion end on the 11th?

Website only

http://mysteryatthemuseum.com/?utm_source=GeocachingMonthly&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=06_25_2019

Click on "Crack the case"

On new page  that opens .  "search for clues" .   It should take you to your map

Click on "filters" . ......'Filter by clue" .    

Click on the 'dectective'    then    'done'

Edited by Hereisme

I'm not happy. So many challenge caches and puzzle caches are showing as my best options.

I did a search for my caching partner, who is in a wheelchair: 1 Terrain, Trad, Multi, Puzzle, and Letterbox. Not found by him.

50 square miles.

Results: 2

One of them is a 5/1.

JRMystery search Detective Clue.png

Edited by Max and 99
  • Love 1
2 minutes ago, Max and 99 said:

I'm getting lots of disabled caches and puzzle caches and caches that are mine when I search by clue.

Only two of mine have the clue and they're a T3.5 multi and a T3.5 puzzle, which have only had one and two finds respectively in the last two years, so I doubt they'll see much action during the promotion.

12 minutes ago, Hereisme said:

Website only

http://mysteryatthemuseum.com/?utm_source=GeocachingMonthly&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=06_25_2019

Click on "Crack the case"

On new page  that opens .  "search for clues" .   It should take you to your map

Click on "filters" . ......'Filter by clue" .    

Click on the 'dectective'    then    'done'

That seems to work indeed, thanks!

5 minutes ago, Team Tupus said:

I logged gc8agwy after this mystery at the museum started. It should have the clue in it. Still it says we have not the clue. I deleted the log and made another found it log and still nothing. What could go wrong here?

That's exactly what happened to me. I went and found a cache that stated (two different searches, one thru the Mystery at the Museum link) it had a Detective Clue, but didn't get anything while logging. No proceeding with the other clues until that one is processed.

Brendan: Just letting you know the status as we figure this out!

2 minutes ago, Harry Dolphin said:

It only lets me search for 'Detective'.  So I have to go find one (once it works), then come home and search for 'footprint'?  Go out and find one of those, then come back and search for 'shadow'?  Then go back out and find that one?  Definitely discriminates against GPS users!

That's what I did. I went and found a Detective Clue cache. I got a message before and after saying the clue was hidden, but two different search methods told me it had the Detective Clue.