Toy Sized Guard Rail Help

Hi everyone!

I've been trying to make interesting caches with guardrails to get away from the monotony of them. For instance, I made magnetic code numbers to go on the back of a guard rail as a cache (not original, but cachers that log it love the idea). I've also played with the wording of "Guardrail" and made a cache called "Rail: The Guard" which was a dummy empty pill bottle at the end of a guardrail (because we all look there first) which alerted the cacher that it's fake and the real cache was a security guard action figure nearby (whose last name was Rail) overlooking the area that cachers had to find (the 6" tall man was an army man with binoculars overlooking the guardrail as a funny little addition).

My next idea is to take a miniature (in my head it's 4"-6" long) guardrail and place it somewhere at the opening of a trail to trick people into thinking that it's just going to be another boring GR cache when they'll have to eventually think outside the box. My problem is, is that I cannot find a miniature guardrail anywhere and don't know how to find one. I don't have kids so I don't know if anyone out there may know of a toy set that might have a miniature guardrail as a piece of that set (like a racetrack or hotwheels thing) or if there's another way to come about one of these short of having to fabricate one myself out of wood or aluminum foil. 

Thanks all!

• Upvote 1

My mind reached back to a pre-geocaching hobby of mine:  model railroading.  Check out this HO gauge guardrail kit.  Near it on the page, I saw where you could buy a little parking lot to go with it!

I've found a cache way out in the woods, with a stream fording and a hill climb, that was billed as a lamp post cache.  It was a model railroad size of lamp post, super glued to the top of a small-size container.  Gave it a favorite point.

Now you've got me thinking of all my pre-2002 hobbies, which have fallen by the wayside in favor of the one addiction that rules them all.

1 minute ago, The Leprechauns said:

Now you've got me thinking of all my pre-2002 hobbies, which have fallen by the wayside in favor of the one addiction that rules them all.

I have an ammo box "under a park bench" in a county park.  It's a doll house bench, magnetically held onto the hanging box.  Out in the woods.  Between two small creeks.

• Upvote 2

I have a guard rail cache with 38% favourites/18 ticks, called 'Guarded' -GC7AWYW They don't need to be boring.

As you reach in you encounter spiders hanging on threads and others stuck to the metal side. The images are of my cache. It's a guard rail on a loop of the road that is no longer used. The old road is now a walking path that passes the still existing road guard. I am on the look out for more road guards on old ex-roads, or very quiet side roads.

I am enjoying some of the comments:

" A bit of a shock, despite expecting something like this but I bravely continued. "

" OMG! Hands down, this is the scariest cache we have found. Full marks for creativity! "

" Grabbed the cache (the feel of it was still creepy even knowing !) "

" Nasty looking guards. Shall I poke my hand in, or look for a stick? Nah, hand. ....... Good for a chuckle."

" Yep, well guarded indeed. Took a step back at first and then thought all was good and the cache was soon in hand and the log signed. "

" ....got a bit of a surprise as he reached for the cache and I had to do the honours icon_smile_wink.gif "

" difficult to put my hand in there. "

" If you have never been called every name under the sun, you now have. ? "

" Think I might hate you a little. lol. I read the description but still as I reached my arm in, expecting what was there, I flinched. It took 3 attempts before I could make myself retrieve the cache. Heart is still pounding. That was freaking hard to do. Yeah, stop laughing. Great cache. Cache in good condition. Favourite point added. "

More comments than that...?

Spider chest.jpg

Spider chest 2.jpg

Edited by Goldenwattle
  • Upvote 1

A slightly different take on this subject.  Was hosted by a Northern Illinois cacher a number of years ago.

"C'mon we are going to do a Lamp Post Cache".   I did the usual moan and groan..

Passed through a city and the suburban / rural interface and into a forest preserve.  Hmmmmm, says I. not your typical LPC.

Wayyyyyyyyyy out in the woods there were a smattering of old transmission poles which caused me to incorrectly surmise where the hide might be,  

The trusted "Tupperware Sniffer Needle" led us to an ammo box with a model light pole bolted to the top of it.   If I had to guess I would think it was from an "O gauge" railroad set .  INDEED IT WAS AN LPC just not of the skirt lifter variety.

Plenty of giggles were had over that particular LPC