LOG WITH A FIND AN ARCHIVED CACHE

Hello

Last Thursday we have received a find log in our cache. The cache was archived for us in this year 2019 (February)   and the log find has a date of 2014  (May)

(that's not a problem, there are people with little memory)

The question is: how can someone register a cache that does not appear on the map and is archived?

Please, excuse our english

Thanks

6 minutes ago, montjuïc said:

Hello

Last Thursday we have received a find log in our cache. The cache was archived for us in this year 2019 (February)   and the log find has a date of 2014  (May)

The question is: how can someone register a cache that does not appear on the map and is archived?

Please, excuse our english

Thanks

All of your caches including archived caches will be in your Profile for all to see.  And previous cache logs, such as "DNF" will be listed in a Finder's Profile.  The archived cache listing is still shown, although any listing will display its link lined-out.

Also, if a Finder knows the GC code, they can visit the page directly, by typing a web address in the form of "https://coord.info/GC1XE27".  I've done similar things after referring to things I've written in my cache notebook.

Edited by kunarion
8 minutes ago, kunarion said:

All of your caches including archived caches will be in your Profile for all to see.  And previous cache logs, such as "DNF" will be listed in a Finder's Profile.  The archived cache listing is still shown, although any listing will display its link lined-out.

Also, if a Finder knows the GC code, they can visit the page directly, by typing a web address in the form of "https://coord.info/GC1XE27".  I've done similar things after referring to things I've written in my cache notebook.

Or if you have the GC code, you can enter it directly into the "Search the millions of geocaches worldwide" box

5 minutes ago, mertat said:

Or if you have the GC code, you can enter it directly into the "Search the millions of geocaches worldwide" box

Yeah.  Maybe in the OP's case, a co-finder reminded the Finder to log it.  Or the Finder was scanning the map icons and noticed one he never logged.

I might remember a cache I found 5 years ago, but it would not be its GC code.  It would be "That cool ammo box in a trap door inside a newspaper stand in front of a gas station, on the way to or from some big Geocaching Event".  And I won't remember where that was.  At all. :unsure:

1 hour ago, montjuïc said:

Another possibility is that one could have field notes drafts created before the cache was archived, and then use those field notes drafts to create actual logs that use the date of the actual find (when the field notes drafts were created).

When we first started geocaching, with a little yellow GPS, I found a cache that I had showing on the GPS map. It wasn't until I got home and went to log it on the website  that I learned it was archived. It was still physically  there, and I signed the log.

There could be several reason why the archived cache was logged, and how they have the GC code. This is just one example.

2 hours ago, montjuïc said:

I don't feel it's a "memory" problem at all.   :)

I know dozens of people who've split from an account,  and now back-dating all the caches they've done with that old account.

- Kids finally getting their own account (and away from their parents) mostly, but a few divorced couples too.

I feel the reason archived caches are able to be logged as "found" is that family-friendly ability for kids to finally have an account of their own (and smart for Groundspeak too :-)  .

Edited by cerberus1
addification ;)
  • Upvote 2
27 minutes ago, cerberus1 said:

I know dozens of people who've split from an account,  and now back-dating all the caches they've done with that old account.

- Kids finally getting their own account (and away from their parents) mostly, but a few divorced couples too.

I feel the reason archived caches are able to be logged as "found" is that family-friendly ability for kids to finally have an account of their own (and smart for Groundspeak too :-)  .

I couldn't tell which particular log the OP means, but I'd suggest that if one is making a back-dated log on purpose, one should mention what's going on.  "I'm back-dating a log from a Find I made in 2014, team split up".  Because if a CO is posting on the Forum, not knowing what the deal is, the Finder left too much of a mystery in his log.  If I made a back-dated log on a cache and said not one peep about it, it's a log mistake for sure.  No way I'm keeping everyone guessing.  That's just rude. :tongue:

If your log is anything other than the next cache down the road as usual, say something!!  A guy took my TB from a cache in Atlanta, visited a cache at a castle in Scotland, then placed my TB into a cache in Atlanta.  I mean come on, with a non-standard log, there has to be more to the story. :surprise:

Edited by kunarion
  • Upvote 1
14 minutes ago, kunarion said:

...  I'd suggest that if one is making a back-dated log on purpose, one should mention what's going on.  "I'm back-dating a log from a Find I made in 2014, team split up". 

I agree, but it wouldn't be the first time someone didn't think of anyone but themselves.     :)

- A few nieces and nephews, we learned that even thank you is forgotten these days... 

• Helpful 1
2 hours ago, cerberus1 said:

For older backlogs, yes.  I did log a find on a cache that had been archived four years previously.  Multi.  First stage missing.  I was helping my sister hide caches along the trail, when we spotted the ammo can!  Signed log.  Removed archived cache.  Reused the container.

• Upvote 2

I would be checking the photographs I took of the old logs to see if their signature is there and they are not an armchair logger. (Sneak in a log with an old date, get that smilie, but hope it won't be checked because the cache is now archived.) Some people can be very late to log caches; slack, or genuinely forgot about this one till now when something jogged their memory, so if they are genuine I would have a photograph of their signature. With no explanation for the late log, such as part of such and such team and now have separate accounts (I would check for the original team signature too), I would be tempted to delete it. But likely ask where they found it first and for proof, as I have a couple of caches I archived because one went missing and the second ended up under a pile of dumped garbage.

I have stumbled upon archived caches still in place and logged them. (Same with multi and puzzle caches.) If it's not on my GPS to explain which cache this is, I photograph the log and then check the date that previous finders signed it against their accounts, to see what caches they found that day. The old archived, etc cache can then be found.