Sign in to follow this  
Followers 1
DrakeTheDragon

How far do I place my Geocache from others?

Before you yell at me, I know it’s like 161 m or something like that, but is there a sure-fire way to measure with the map. Like, is there a rule like ‘if your desired location is two thumbs away on the map, it’s ok’ or something alone that lines?

Under the "Cache Saturation" guideline, the separation distance between physical elements of geocaches is .1 miles (or 528 feet, or 161 metres). 

This Help Center article explains how to check for cache saturation using the planning map.  The planning map has lovely pink circles around visible physical cache element waypoints.  It does not show hidden waypoints, like the actual location of a Mystery Cache, or the final stage of a Multicache, etc.

In addition to the planning map, there are third party partner applications which also display circles around waypoints.  The one that I use is GSAK, because it's easy to record the solved coordinates for puzzles, the actual locations of Wherigo and Multicaches, etc., so that hidden waypoints won't trip you up.

For all applications that display 161m "saturation circles," the objective is that the outer edge of one circle cannot cross over the centerpoint of any other circle.  They can overlap, but not past the centerpoint. 

• Helpful 5

4 hours ago, DrakeTheDragon said:

Before you yell at me, I know it’s like 161 m or something like that, but is there a sure-fire way to measure with the map.

Like, is there a rule like ‘if your desired location is two thumbs away on the map, it’s ok’ or something alone that lines?

The map circles may help with veering too close to another,  but by guidelines we're supposed to be using a GPS-enabled device for coordinates.

The guidelines do say "Don’t rely only on the Geocache Planning Map to choose a location. Multi-Caches, Mysteries, Wherigos, and Letterbox Hybrids can have hidden physical waypoints."

• Helpful 1

5 hours ago, DrakeTheDragon said:

is there a sure-fire way to measure with the map.

I use the map as a second check after I've found caches all around the area I'm wanting to place one - I stand at my potential location(s), and look at the distance on my GPS to the nearest caches.  THEN I go to the map, pop in the potential coordinates, and see how it places with the circles.

We learned early that hidden coordinates can trip you up - that's why we find all the caches we can so we KNOW where the hidden waypoints and caches are, and can place ours in an open area.  We also pre-check with our reviewer before getting too attached to any one location - once we know a spot available, we get going on the container, the write up, and the fun!

• Helpful 1

I find the visual representation (the red circles) helpful when reviewing an area prior to placing a cache but not so much when there are mystery and multicaches in the area.  Since the hidden stages are unknown, it's only after you have placed a cache that you get the word it is "too close".  I recently ran into this issue twice:  the first time my cache was 350 feet from a hidden stage; the second time it was 525 feet away.  The Reviewer would not tell me the coordinates of the hidden stages, so I had to puzzle it out.    I asked for an exception to the distance rule in the first case because the cache was in the middle of a river while the hidden stage was ashore  and in the second because there was a busy four lane highway between my cache and the other.  I was told "no" in both cases.  Because I also place a number of mystery and multicaches, I have run into the distance issue from the other side and to date I have found notes on four of my caches that have a version of this:  "GC4V8WD is 314 ft E of your waypoint. Minimum acceptable distance is 528 ft. Learn more."   

In each case, my cache was placed years earlier than the other cache.  In each case, I emailed The Reviewer who approved the other cache and asked for an explaination of why the other cache was approved, indicating that I wasn't objecting to the placement, but wanted to know the rationale for approving it.  No response from any of The Reviewers.  Anyone else run into this issue?