Geocache Size help.

I have a cache that i made from a fake plant and a small bison tube that is hanging inside the fake plant by a small piece of fishing line.

Do i size it by the bison tube (micro) or the whole fake plant size, which is probably about 1 1/2 feet in size? So would it fit (other)?

Thanks.

Edited by sasquatchlover

Think of it like this, if you were to hide the bison tube in the nook of a tree the cache size would not be “Large“. Size is about capacity of the container to hold stuff like trackables and trinkets. A bison tube is a micro size because capacity is under 100ml/3ounces. Small has a capacity for small trackables and trinkets. 

• Upvote 1
  • Helpful 2
  • Love 2

From the Geocaching 101 page https://www.geocaching.com/guide/

What does a geocache look like? Watch Video

Geocaches vary greatly in size and appearance. In the field you will see everything from large, clear plastic containers to film canisters to a fake rock with a secret compartment. So, how do you find the cache?

The first step is to get a general idea of the cache's size. The size is shown on each cache page. A general overview of the cache size graphic is found below. Please note that these are just examples; sizes can vary.

Micro Cache Size Icon Micro - Less than 100ml. Examples: a 35 mm film canister or a tiny storage box typically containing only a logbook or a logsheet. A nano cache is a common sub-type of a micro cache that is less than 10ml and can only hold a small logsheet.
Small Cache Size Icon Small - 100ml or larger, but less than 1L. Example: A sandwich-sized plastic container or similar.
Regular Cache Size Icon Regular - 1L or larger, but less than 20L. Examples: a plastic container or ammo can about the size of a shoebox.
Large Cache Size Icon Large - 20L or larger. Example: A large bucket.
Other Cache Size Icon Other - See the cache description for information.

Small, Regular and Large containers typically contain trade items.

To learn more about what to look for on the cache page and in the field, check out our video 5 Geocaches in 30 Seconds, these cache container photos, and read our guide.

Once I find the camouflage, will I know that I've found the cache?

If you drill a hole in a large-size log, then stick a Bison tube in the hole, then I think that's a micro. Finding the log does me no good. I have to spot the Bison tube hidden in the log. You can mention in the description that the camouflage is larger than micro-size, or that the micro-size cache is placed in/on a larger object, or something like that.

On the other hand, if you place the Bison tube in something that is significantly larger, and that a geocacher will know is obviously the cache, then that could be a micro, or it could be other. For example, if you place a Bison tube in a large rubber snake (larger than 1L in total volume), then you've got a weird situation. The container itself is micro-size, but geocachers are looking for  something that is actually regular-size.

• Upvote 1
3 hours ago, sasquatchlover said:

I have a cache that i made from a fake plant and a small bison tube that is hanging inside the fake plant by a small piece of fishing line.

Do i size it by the bison tube (micro) or the whole fake plant size, which is probably about 1 1/2 feet in size? So would it fit (other)?

Size Other.

IMO "Micro in a host" should always be Other.

• Upvote 4

The problem is that some cachers use "other" when they mean "I don't want to tell you." I have found more than a few simple bison tubes, film cans and microcentrifuge tubes labeled "other" that were not hidden in a host and there is no description in the write-up. This renders the guideline "Other - See the cache description for information" useless.

6 minutes ago, Michaelcycle said:

The problem is that some cachers use "other" when they mean "I don't want to tell you." I have found more than a few simple bison tubes, film cans and microcentrifuge tubes labeled "other" that were not hidden in a host and there is no description in the write-up. This renders the guideline "Other - See the cache description for information" useless.

They use to split 'other' and 'I don't want to tell you' into 2 categories but I think many were confused. So now one 'catch-all' size category. 

I believe Other was used for virtuals (caches with no container) and ? for 'I don't want to tell you'. 

• Upvote 1
13 minutes ago, Michaelcycle said:

The problem is that some cachers use "other" when they mean "I don't want to tell you." I have found more than a few simple bison tubes, film cans and microcentrifuge tubes labeled "other" that were not hidden in a host and there is no description in the write-up.

We see this too.  Nanos mostly. 

Asking, it seems that the CO realizes that those containers aren't a favorite here, and calls it "other" so you'll hunt for it.

I did find a mini ammo can once, when no one else apparently noticed "other" on the cache page.

- Kinda surprised  anyone thought a full-size ammo can would fit there...     :D

But I agree,  "other" fits with the OP's hide.     :)

• Upvote 1
  • Helpful 1
1 hour ago, Michaelcycle said:

I have found more than a few simple bison tubes, film cans and microcentrifuge tubes labeled "other" that were not hidden in a host and there is no description in the write-up. This renders the guideline "Other - See the cache description for information" useless.

I think there's a valid argument for saying "smaller than a normal micro" can be "other". I'm not entirely convinced by the argument, but it's not unreasonable.

It looks like "other" should be one of the most popular sizes around me... but it is not. There are containers here hidden inside bigger coverings but no one has "other" size set. Most, including me, takes a container capacity as a cache size, but sometimes writes in a cache listing that the container is hidden inside something bigger. The only non-virtual caches sized "other" I remember were logbooks in plastic bags directly inside coverings, without any solid container.

Anyway if size is to tell if a trackable or trade items can be found inside container, as some here insist, the "other" size does not help.

1 hour ago, Michaelcycle said:

Well, that's kinda the case here: the OP doesn't want to tell me because he can't tell me: the size doesn't fit into the guidelines because the hide has, essentially, two different sizes.

Personally, "Other" wouldn't be my choice though, but when this problem comes up, some COs use Other, some use the camo size, and some use the container size. So the first answer to the OP is, "It's up to you: whatever you think describes it best." But if you ask me, I'd say this sounds like a micro for the reasons niraD gives.

• Upvote 1
2 hours ago, L0ne.R said:

They use to split 'other' and 'I don't want to tell you' into 2 categories but I think many were confused. So now one 'catch-all' size category. 

I believe Other was used for virtuals (caches with no container) and ? for 'I don't want to tell you'. 

There also used to be a "Virtual" size:

image.png.bbb0607a587cc60747ec88565e4531a0.png

I read "other" the same as "unusual" or "non-standard". In other words, nanos, fake rocks, cones bolts or unusual shape that

may be large in volume but can't really hold anything of significant size.

Size "not chosen" is the same as "I don't want to tell you".

• Upvote 3
3 minutes ago, IceColdUK said:

... but no longer an option.  For a physical cache, you now have to choose between Micro, Small, Regular, Large and Other.

Didn't know that. It's been a while since I last made a cache. I have seen it used but I admit its rare.

6 hours ago, Michaelcycle said:

"I don't want to tell you" nearly always means Micro or Nano.

4 hours ago, noncentric said:

There also used to be a "Virtual" size:

image.png.bbb0607a587cc60747ec88565e4531a0.png

I wish all Earthcaches were size Virtual!