Lost and Found

Just seen the first announcement of the "Celebrate 20 years of geocaching" event for next year (August 15, 2020 at Seattle Center in Seattle, WA.).

Question: Will the "Lost and Found Event Cache" and "Groundspeak Lost and Found Celebration" icons be used again for this and other events for this celebration?

I, and I imagine many others, have not attended events of this type and it would provide an opportunity to rectify that. (I currently have found 17 different types of caches and would love the opportunity to extend that to 19!)

• Love 1

Personally, I'd like to see the "Lost and Found Event Cache" and "Groundspeak Lost and Found Celebration" icons combined into just one, and have the 2020 event use that same icon. Probably not a popular opinion, but so be it.

On 5/28/2019 at 12:28 PM, BaSHful said:

I, and I imagine many others, have not attended events of this type and it would provide an opportunity to rectify that. (I currently have found 17 different types of caches and would love the opportunity to extend that to 19!)

I'd imagine that those who attended the L&F events and got those cache types would be hoping that the 2020 event gets its own cache type, so they can add another cache type to their stats - rather than just incrementing their count on a cache type they already have.

4 hours ago, noncentric said:

I'd imagine that those who attended the L&F events and got those cache types would be hoping that the 2020 event gets its own cache type, so they can add another cache type to their stats - rather than just incrementing their count on a cache type they already have.

Agreed.  

I'd like to see another, different  unique icon for that event.  It's 20 years, not 10 again ...   :)

-  For the record, I'm one who really doesn't care much about stats, but know others in my area who do feel the same.

We're seeing people asking to bring back Locationless caches  "Even if just temporary..." as well,  I guess so they have yet-another icon for stats.

Some odd need to "catch up" to others...

I feel if you didn't qualify, be available for , or maybe simply weren't in the hobby  at the time,  isn't that all part of the game ?

• Upvote 1

Announcement is coming this weekend, if I recall the blog post correctly.  So I guess we'll see.

Certainly, if there is going to be another round of lost and found events (in the field), they're going to need a different design, as the existing icon for the 10 Years! events has a 10 in it.

2 hours ago, hzoi said:

Certainly, if there is going to be another round of lost and found events (in the field), they're going to need a different design, as the existing icon for the 10 Years! events has a 10 in it.

But it will have been 10 years since it was last ‘found’! ?  I’d like to see a new type, but then I was lucky enough to attend an event (my first) last time.

I can't remember where I read it now, but somewhere I saw that they were going to rename the "Groundspeak Lost and Found Celebration" cache type and use that for the Seattle event. I think they were going to drop the "Groundspeak". I'll keep looking and see if I can find the source again.

Edited by The A-Team
24 minutes ago, Jayeffel said:

what is a Lost and Found event? A new term to me.

It was from before your time. Back in 2010, to celebrate the 10th anniversary of geocaching, there were about 350 events around the world that were given the special "Lost and Found Event Cache" type. From what little information I can find about them now, I think there were some requirements that had to be met and then HQ would convert a regular "Event" to a "Lost and Found Event". This bookmark list contains these events (plus a few other unrelated listings at the bottom for some strange reason).

14 hours ago, Jayeffel said:

what is a Lost and Found event? A new term to me.

This was ours.  It was fun.  Basically a cookout event in the park, but we made our "big sign" into a sheet cake for our photo. 

81c0f5ba-8fa0-4ff6-928e-67e0f49705c0.jpg

The spiffy icon attracted a lot more folks than we'd previously seen for events.

There were a few criteria for setting these up before you could get the spiffy icon.  The link on the event page is dead, but they were along the lines of:

• at least 10 people need to be at the event
  • need to take a celebratory photo holding a big sign that says “City, State/Country,” post it to the cache page within 2 weeks after the event.
  • the event can't be a flashmob
  • Event Title must follow the format of “10 Years! City, State/Country” (it could say this in the local language)
  • can't be too close to another 10 Years! event

Those with a Groundspeak lackey in attendance also got the "L+F" attribute.  (We didn't get one in C'ville, sadly.)

I don't know if there will be a 20 Years! event cache next year.  It'd be neat if there was.

Edited by hzoi
On 5/30/2019 at 1:10 PM, hzoi said:

20 is a multiple of 10. That makes it a 10 year anniversary, the second one.

Edited by BaSHful
  • Upvote 2