Mystery Cache

FshngGC

I am preparing a mystery cache.  In order for the cacher to find it they will have to find three other caches.  I am planning on placing these caches in the list as Traditional Caches, as each will have it's own log sheetand it's own entry on geocaching.com.  However on the back of each log sheet will be one of three parts of the answer to a "riddle"  that will be asked in the mystery cache.  I believe that these should be listed as four separate caches.  I have been told by a fellow cacher that I presented it to that it should be placed as a multi-cache but I disagree.  However, I have no experience with placing either a mystery cache or a multi cache and would appreciate any feed-back.

16 hours ago, FshngGC said:

I have been told by a fellow cacher that I presented it to that it should be placed as a multi-cache but I disagree.

Your fellow cacher is correct to some extent, in that you have the option of making this one multicache with up to three visible stages and one hidden, final stage that requires solving a puzzle to get the coordinates.  You could even just have the first stage visible and require finders to solve puzzles to reveal each subsequent stage; this is why the "field puzzle" attribute exists.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQUzB6CFO94N3ufFx402Ev

Or, you have the option of placing three traditional caches and a fourth bonus cache, as nariD discusses.

23 hours ago, FshngGC said:

I have been told by a fellow cacher that I presented it to that it should be placed as a multi-cache but I disagree. 

Multi-cache is allowable option only if the riddle is possible to solve on-field by reading the cache description. Research that goes beyond reading the cache page is always a mystery cache.

More info here: https://www.geocaching.com/help/index.php?pg=kb.chapter&id=127&pgid=559

Edited by arisoft
  • Upvote 1

There are several cache series around here that are like you describe. There are traditional caches that can stand alone or the player can grab a clue to help solve a mystery cache. The ones I've seen have either a special card that's the game piece or with some information in the lid of the traditional caches.

22 hours ago, FshngGC said:

I am preparing a mystery cache.  In order for the cacher to find it they will have to find three other caches.  I am planning on placing these caches in the list as Traditional Caches, as each will have it's own log sheetand it's own entry on geocaching.com.  However on the back of each log sheet will be one of three parts of the answer to a "riddle"  that will be asked in the mystery cache.  I believe that these should be listed as four separate caches.  I have been told by a fellow cacher that I presented it to that it should be placed as a multi-cache but I disagree.  However, I have no experience with placing either a mystery cache or a multi cache and would appreciate any feed-back.

We've done caches like this for years.    Traditionals, with a bonus (a mystery).     :)

The upside is one can claim a "smiley" on only one or two caches if they'd like, not outta luck like heading home in the middle of a multi.

The downside (I do it often...) is someone misses a "clue"  on one cache and they either go back, or simply forget the bonus.

The majority of ours done were a lengthy walk or high terrain.  That's why I went there.

That "bonus",  isn't something I'm striving for, the smiley-count either  ... Unless there's cash inside.   :D

On 5/28/2019 at 6:14 PM, FshngGC said:

I'd agree with you, three trads , one bonus '?' cache.

As long as all four GZs are at least 161m apart it should be OK, this 'bonus cache for completing a set'  is a pretty common arrangement round here. Personally, I really  don't appreciate difficult field puzzles, so I'd hope  the 'riddle' is not too tough and could be done reasonably quickly and without having to resort to the internet. I've noticed that many cachers  will avoid multis and puzzles as too much effort, but happily go for trad.s , so your traditionals will probably be found more often than a single multi would. I don't know if that is something that concerns you, but regular found it logs are a good way for both owner and cachers to know the  caches are OK.

Another thought is that if one stage of a 3 stage multi goes missing, , the cache becomes inoperable until you maintain it, whereas with 3 trads, if one goes awol, the other two will still be available, you just have to remember to disable the bonus mystery to warn people about the situation (if they've not previously collected the information)  until you have maintained the feeder.

On 5/28/2019 at 10:14 AM, FshngGC said:

I am preparing a mystery cache.  In order for the cacher to find it they will have to find three other caches.  I am planning on placing these caches in the list as Traditional Caches, as each will have it's own log sheetand it's own entry on geocaching.com.  However on the back of each log sheet will be one of three parts of the answer to a "riddle"  that will be asked in the mystery cache. 

Just this week, I placed 3  ? caches - all are puzzles, and each one is a standalone cache.  On the logsheet of each one is a two-letter "BONUS CODE" - which I plan to use in a final, BONUS puzzle cache (yet to be placed); you can get one, two, or all three of the puzzles as you choose, they are along a half mile walking trail.  You will need all three codes to solve the final.  The difficulty of the final will be a bit higher since you need to find the other 3 caches first.

All of them are listed as ? (Unknown) type.