Geocaching route 66 starting in Barstow

Having travelled Rte. 66 when it was "active" gave me an appreciation for the Mother Road and she still calls to me.  As to caching ...it does NOT take long to get remote-ish from fuel, food, water and lodging.   Be aware of the status of each item as you "run the road".  AND FOR PETES' SAKE STAY HYDRATED.

You are in an environment where plants and critters can cause you pain.   

Survey the general environs of the caches. Use your pokey stick.  DO NOT reach into an area that you can not visualize.  

Some biting / stinging critters can resemble sticks while at rest.

HAVE A BLAST

ALSO DO NOT STEP INTO AN AREA THAT YOU HAVE NOT SURVEYED FIRST.  

Rattlers may be basking on the other side of the object you are about to step over.   LOOK FIRST, STEP SECOND.

P.S.   The Mojave Green Rattler is among the most venomous of that type of critter.

Edited by humboldt flier
typo correction

I just drove this route. Some of the best Route 66 geocaching (and touring) is in Seligman, AZ, and Williams, AZ, even though the numbers are low. Kingman has lots of good caches. Also, just east of Flagstaff is a very fun power trail (or series) of letterbox caches. You can get 5-6 (or more) pretty quickly right off the interstate. I really enjoyed geocaching in Grants, NM. There are lots of caches and almost every cache is present and findable. I found 14 in a little over an hour and 5 more on the return trip (most are put out by the same person). I had terrible luck in Gallup, NM. Albuquerque has lots of caches but the traffic is a nightmare.

Have been to Seligman. Nice little town. Was on a coach tour and had insufficient time to go looking for caches. There was a neat little car/bike museum in back of a souvenir store and I spent some time checking out the early 1960s Honda Dream and Benly, particular interests of mine. One odd thing, the store owner who from my accent,  thought I was an American that had lived in Australia. Nope, I assured him.  I must have watched too many American TV shows. Perhaps that's why there are so many aussie actors in Hollywood? I've missed my calling.

Edited by colleda
clarity
On 5/28/2019 at 2:59 PM, fuzziebear3 said:

Powertrail? Hmmm, I didn't know there was one. 

It starts here:  https://coord.info/GC2J17A

800 caches, starting around Needles, CA and going east.  Near the end there area several others PTs, including the Highway to H.E.L.L series which has over 3000 caches and there are at least 2-3 others in the area with 500-1000 caches.  

3 hours ago, NYPaddleCacher said:

It starts here:  https://coord.info/GC2J17A

800 caches, starting around Needles, CA and going east.  Near the end there area several others PTs, including the Highway to H.E.L.L series which has over 3000 caches and there are at least 2-3 others in the area with 500-1000 caches.  

Actually this Route 66 PT starts in Newberry Springs ,25 miles east of Barstow, and goes east to around Needles.  Other nice trails in the Newberry Springs area are the Yermo   series, The Paradise Springs series, the alphabet series and Penny Series.  The Yermo series is a any car can do it the other 3 not so much.