Download caches to a ford sync3 or google maps

Outforawalk

14 hours ago, Outforawalk said:

How do I add geocaches on to my ford ranger sync 3 navigation system   

I don't want to use the navigation just a ref to look at each cache location

Seems like a question for Ford.   The navigation system would have to have some means for adding waypoint data, which would probably requires some some sort of input port (e.g. usb) and menu options which can read a file full of waypoints.    It *might* support GPX format, it may also require manual entry of lat/long coordinates one at a time...if it even supports to ability to add waypoints at all.

You're not super specific about your setup, so I'll just throw this out there:  https://www.cnet.com/roadshow/news/ford-waze-sync-applink/

That article mentions the possibility to connect an Apple iPhone that has the latest updates, using Waze.  Plus there's a brief remark about Android, too.

I've previously posted info around here on how to Geocache using Waze.   So if you have absolutely everything already set up per the article, you can certainly navigate to a cache right now.

If you're instead trying to load GPX files into your car, the article is not about that.  But you're not driving a car onto Geocaches anyway, and a car nav keeps you to the road even when the waypoint is off-road.  You drive to a place to park, and in many cases, you hunt a few caches in the area after you park.  So one simple solution is setting your current destination on the map, which you can do right now:  https://owner.ford.com/support/how-tos/sync/sync-3/navigation/how-to-set-a-navigation-destination-with-sync-3.html

So you tell your car nav where you want to park (perhaps using a map point from the cache description).  Especially in urban areas, you can end up in a cul-de-sac when the parking lot for a city park is the next street over.

Edited by kunarion
20 minutes ago, Outforawalk said:

How do you download to Waze

You don't download caches to it, but you can open Waze from the Geocaching App. Set it up by making it the default map App. You might also have to set the current map to “not default” in some cases. The thread for iPhone is below, the one where I was awarded "Most Helpful Dragon" for posting, and it has a link to generally how to switch from the default map.  Once set up, tap the car "Navigate" icon from the Geocaching App, and Waze opens instead of the Maps App.

Then all you have to do is set up the other “link” thing from the Ford Sync 3 article linked above. Lots of stuff to set up, but most of that only has to be done once.

I don't mess with my car nav (a Nuvi) unless I don't know where I am and lose the phone signal. But I bought a mount system for my phone so that I can see its map while driving and it's trivial to switch from street routing to hiking to the cache. It's all on the phone.  Actually, I most often switch to my Garmin GPS (which also has street routing and a mount, but isn't so hot for viewing while driving) for the hike, but I could use the phone at that point. :)

Edited by kunarion
1 hour ago, Outforawalk said:

I think i might be screwed I have an IPhone can i load geocaches on to waze on it because i can see waze on my apple car play thru the sync 3

Did you set Waze as the default map App?  If so, open a cache on the Official Geocaching App, and tap the car “Navigate” icon.  The Geocaching App opens Waze, navigating to the cache.