accidental find

smokinfish

I was up fishing on the skagit river WA a few months back and we found a cache. Unknowingly this cache and container was brought back to my homer, unfortunately the truck was wrecked a short time later and I found everything going thru the detritus from the truck. I've restocked the box but I cannot locate it on the cache map for my area unless it was replaced. I've restocked the box with a ton of goodies to apologize to the community for this indiscretion. My question is should I replace it where it was or put it in a new location?

thx

Smokinfish

• Upvote 2
  • Helpful 1

It could be that the Listing has been Archived in the interim, in which case it would be pointless to replace the cache at the old location.   Do you have some landmarks (e.g. campgrounds, pullouts, historical markers, etc), or crossroads for reference?  The helpful folks in the Forum might be able to answer that portion of the question with some additional information.

5 hours ago, smokinfish said:

I was up fishing on the skagit river WA a few months back and we found a cache. Unknowingly this cache and container was brought back to my homer, unfortunately the truck was wrecked a short time later and I found everything going thru the detritus from the truck. I've restocked the box but I cannot locate it on the cache map for my area unless it was replaced. I've restocked the box with a ton of goodies to apologize to the community for this indiscretion. My question is should I replace it where it was or put it in a new location?

thx

Smokinfish

Can you post a picture of the container, or describe it? Are there markings or names on or in the box?  How specific can you be about its placement (coordinates, map, landmarks)?

Was there a log inside? Maybe check the date of the last log. If it has been years, maybe it was archived but never removed by the cache owner. Especially if you can't find it on the map app. One time we found a cache with a note in the log from a muggle. He accidentally found the cache so wrote a nice message and also apologized for intruding. It was cute. 

Very cool and thoughtful of you to take the time to try to rectify this mistake. A lot of people would have simply tossed it, and worse yet there are some sicko muggles out there that would intentionally destroy a cache for some reason.
The easy way to handle this is to come join us. Just use the Geoching.com website to look over a map of that area, and try to locate the cache on the map. Once you find it, you can use the free app available for smart phones to go right to the location. And this would qualify as your first find of what I suspect would be many more if you enjoy it.

Seeker_Knight

On 5/26/2019 at 1:55 PM, smokinfish said:

thx

Smokinfish

if you know the person who hid its username you could message them. most of the time the person who hid it will find out and replace it, its a shame but not the end of the world. if you know the exact location, then sure replace it but it might confuse people if you put it back somewhere incorrect.

Edited by spookypants
On 4/5/2020 at 4:49 PM, spookypants said:

if you know the person who hid its username you could message them. most of the time the person who hid it will find out and replace it, its a shame but not the end of the world. if you know the exact location, then sure replace it but it might confuse people if you put it back somewhere incorrect.

I'm quite certain this issue was solved over 11 months ago when it happened.

• Upvote 1
5 hours ago, K13 said:

I'm quite certain this issue was solved over 11 months ago when it happened.

can you stop doing this? you already had to call me out on the other one, i obviously know my mistake just didn't read the date when i posted it. im really new to geocaching, so you don't have to do this. i realize that im dumb ok?

• Upvote 1
  • Surprised 1