Finding County Caches

Golly Geos

Some authorized third party partner applications provide great functionality for this fun task, including but not limited to GSAK, Project-GC and Cachly.  There is no native "counties" functionality on the Geocaching.com website.

Could you tell us what third party applications you use regularly, or would be willing to try out?  That will help posters in targeting their assistance.

Just remember that not all geocaching apps use the same boundary line map files. A cache that is close to a line may be in County A on one and County B on the other.

I wonder which County/Parish gets shaded when you find the boundary marker here?

Project-GC shows me with no finds in any Arkansas counties. Geocaching stats map shows I have one find in Arkansas. Are they both correct? (Logically not, but that's what the internet shows.)

Edited by K13
23 hours ago, K13 said:

Just remember that not all geocaching apps use the same boundary line map files. A cache that is close to a line may be in County A on one and County B on the other.

I wonder which County/Parish gets shaded when you find the boundary marker here?

Project-GC shows me with no finds in any Arkansas counties. Geocaching stats map shows I have one find in Arkansas. Are they both correct? (Logically not, but that's what the internet shows.)

Well, since Geooh also checks with a service to determine its county regardless of boundary lines (see bottom stats bar) it looks like that cache is in Cass County.

Screenshot_20190527-220658.png

On ‎5‎/‎26‎/‎2019 at 12:00 PM, Golly Geos said:

What's the easiest way to map out caches in specific counties when doing a county run? How do we make sure the cache is in the counties we're doing?  Thanks! 

This is probably too "old school" for you, but when we had the time and gas was cheap, we did a good number of counties by simply using an atlas.

There weren't all the apps n such available today, but by using an atlas,  we were able to match towns and most county lines with cache pages.    :)

1 hour ago, SpiritGuide said:

Well, since Geooh also checks with a service to determine its county regardless of boundary lines (see bottom stats bar) it looks like that cache is in Cass County.

Screenshot_20190527-220658.png

Which limes are the correct ones in your screenshot, the dotted ones or the dark green ones? Official Geocaching stats says that cache is in Arkansas.

I dunno.

• Upvote 1

I like to plan my county/Delorme runs ahead of time.  For counties, I use the browse map, with one of the map layers that shows county lines, and go to where the county is on the map.  I find it more helpful to use one of the map layers that has named county boundaries, such as Esri WorldTopoMap or Esri WorldStreetMap.  Then I pick out a few candidates, bookmark them, and then make a pocket query, which I download to my GPSr thru GSAK and save offline to my geocaching app.

(Aside from the default geocaching layer or Google Maps layers, most of the browse map layers show county lines, but I believe WorldTopoMap and WorldStreetMap are the only ones that include county names, not just boundary lines.)

To avoid questions such as which county line (or Delorme page) is correct, I try to focus on finds that are not right on the line.

For Delorme runs, I use the paper atlas.  It's nice when they are available for free in the library, though I usually just end up buying one and then giving it away when I'm done with the challenge.

21 hours ago, K13 said:

Which limes are the correct ones in your screenshot, the dotted ones or the dark green ones? Official Geocaching stats says that cache is in Arkansas.

I dunno.

Green lines are county boundaries, but I never totally rely on them... or county signs because they could have been placed for convenience over accuracy.

Geocaching stats, like Project-GC and GSAK, all use some service that converts coordinates to a county. So does Geooh. But which service is most accurate? I don't know.

23 hours ago, K13 said:

I dunno.

I think the Geocaching.com classify states based on what the CO entered on the cache page, not by checking the coordinates. That cache you noted says "Arkansas" on the cache page, which is what the CO selected.

5 hours ago, noncentric said:
On 5/28/2019 at 6:39 AM, K13 said:

I dunno.

I think the Geocaching.com classify states based on what the CO entered on the cache page, not by checking the coordinates. That cache you noted says "Arkansas" on the cache page, which is what the CO selected.

Yup.  I've seen at least one cache out around Atlanta somewhere that was listed as being in "Georgia," as in, the country, not the state.  (It got fixed, as I recall.) 

I believe the system flags these for reviewers now, if not outright prevents them, but there are still anomalies out there, like this former DC cornerstone virtual that's located in Virginia but listed as DC.