Canada's first Geowoodstock

No way I'm opening my calendar 15 months in advance, nope.  I'm even keeping this summer's calendar as open as possible, for maximum flexibility.

There are people who can plan their lives >1 year out, but I choose not to be any of 'em.  :lol:

But if all my friends are going (I'll wait a year to find out), maybe I'll have to go too.

• Funny 1
18 hours ago, Viajero Perdido said:

I wonder how many of those who have will attend-ed have noticed...  It's in 2020.  Next year.

It's quite common for GeoWoodstock fans to log their "Will Attend" immediately at this year's event during the presentation where the following year's event location is announced.  It's timed so that the page "goes live" right near that announcement.

There are people who go to Woodstock every year, planning their vacations around it, including a handful who have attended each event since the first one back in 2003.  I'm a lightweight:  I skipped this year's event, and I've "only" been to six in the past.  But for next year, the combination of an HQ celebration, the Going APE event, and Woodstock is pretty compelling.  I expect to attend!

• Upvote 2
16 hours ago, Goldenwattle said:

How does this vary from a normal MEGA?

1.  It was the very first Event to be awarded the Mega Event icon.

2.  It's been the largest USA event for many years.

3.  Unlike most other Mega Events, Woodstock moves all around the country, and now outside of the USA.

4.  jogps.

• Upvote 1
18 hours ago, SwineFlew said:

Yea... I wonder how many of these people are entering into Canada for the first time.  There's a long list of do's and don'ts.

What?  Canada is the easiest country in the entire world for US Citizens to visit.  Yes, one should be thoughtful and considerate in another country, but that doesn't seem like such a big deal!

I'm going.

• Upvote 2

We're known for being polite (is that a cliche?), so on that note, welcome to Canada!

I'm sure they'll post an FAQ or something, but a few basics:  No guns please, and even though marijuana's now legal at the national level, it's still illegal to cross a national border with it.  (Say the signs in the airport...)

Pretty sure US citizens need a passport to get back into their own country; not sure about the rules coming into Canada.

Eh!

1 hour ago, Viajero Perdido said:

Pretty sure US citizens need a passport to get back into their own country; not sure about the rules coming into Canada.

Eh!

OF IMPORTANT NOTE:

If you are in the USA on a permanent resident visa be VERY CERTAIN that it is current and NOT close to expiring or you will be caught in limbo.  The backlog to update your USA Permanent Resident Visa is rather long and getting longer.   

Get on your up-dating process NOW

Just a heads up.

Geo-Hugs to all.

• Helpful 1

If anyone is coming to California bring me a few Coffee Crisps and some Butter Tarts.

EH

Ohhhhhhhhhh for the uninitiated "EH" is the spoken Canadian Question Mark and sometimes in some sectors referred to as the "intera-bang"

INTERABANG >>>>>>>>> would be represented by >>>>> ?!

EH

Edited by humboldt flier
correction auto-correct
2 hours ago, Viajero Perdido said:

We're known for being polite (is that a cliche?), so on that note, welcome to Canada!

I'm sure they'll post an FAQ or something, but a few basics:  No guns please, and even though marijuana's now legal at the national level, it's still illegal to cross a national border with it.  (Say the signs in the airport...)

Eh!

Yes.  The last time I was in Canada, 2013, we needed a passport both ways.  The first time I was in Canada, for Expo 67, in Quebec, that was not necessary.  I've made several trips to Canada, including PEI, and Newfoundland and Labrador.  But I doubt I'll go to Geowoodstock.  I have cached in seven provinces.

• Upvote 1
2 hours ago, Viajero Perdido said:

Eh!

Its more than just guns. Having a DUI record or criminal record will require you to do some extra paper work ahead of time(its all depend on how long ago was it), fruit, veggie and some meat is a no no, Pets need to have proof of shots from the vet(I noticed that most cachers love to bring their pets to geowoodstock) and the list goes on and on. Another thing is, you that you might need proof of a hotel reservation if you are going to stay for more than one day. (they dont want you to be car camping)Having enough cash or credit cards is another thing thats require to cross the border.  I cross enough boarders in the last five years that I know the long list of do's and don'ts.

3 hours ago, fizzymagic said:

What?  Canada is the easiest country in the entire world for US Citizens to visit.  Yes, one should be thoughtful and considerate in another country, but that doesn't seem like such a big deal!

I'm going.

Yes or no. Its all depend on how you answer those questions.  I got story that happen years ago. My cousin married a Canadian girl and more than 200 people from my area was going up to Canada for the wedding(most of them the day before the wedding) and the boarder guard was very aware that something was going on(my dad heard him said...oh another group) We got in without any problem, but other people had trouble later that day. If they asked you where you are going, you better be honest and I am very sure the boarder people will be aware of this event and they might be asking you for proof of hotel reservation if you are planing to be there more than a day.(this is to keep you from car camping and pour money into their country) (they will know all the hotel in a given area will be booked full) You said its the easiest country for US citizens? Again, yes or no.

One of the ways that this particular GeoWoodstock is apt to, "vary from a normal MEGA", is that it will almost certainly go Giga.  Also, I don't actually know what a "normal Mega" is. Seems that every Mega event is unique, and certainly that's been true of GeoWoodstock, with its annual travels, and change of host group each year.  

• Upvote 1

What does it take to make an event a Giga? Attended logs multiplied by some factor - 1.5, 2, or some other number to consider the group accounts amd family of members who attend?  

Is there any firm, known to the world, definition for this designation?

2 minutes ago, K13 said:

What does it take to make an event a Giga? Attended logs multiplied by some factor - 1.5, 2, or some other number to consider the group accounts amd family of members who attend?  

If I remember it right... the attended log will do it.

39 minutes ago, K13 said:

This Help Centre page might help. It seems pretty definitive about the qualifications for an event to become a giga.

• Helpful 1

A passport works, but if you don't have one you will be able to enter Canada next year with an "enhanced" driver's license (basically a regular driver's license with a special symbol on it.)  I think some states might have switched over to the enhanced license program already, but this October is the deadline for the rest of the states in which a regular license will no longer be acceptable for Canada, the Caribbean, getting into Federal buildings/military bases, etc.  My regular license was expiring anyway, so I had the joy of visiting NY's DMV jut this past week.  If you wish to upgrade your license and it's not due, check with your state's websites.

I don't know how this works with minors who don't have a license yet.

22 hours ago, SwineFlew said:

Another thing is, you that you might need proof of a hotel reservation if you are going to stay for more than one day. (they dont want you to be car camping)Having enough cash or credit cards is another thing thats require to cross the border.  I cross enough boarders in the last five years that I know the long list of do's and don'ts.

I don't recall being asked about hotel reservation or financial status the last couple times I've gone up to Canada, although the last trip was 3 years ago, so maybe things have changed since then.  I would suspect that if you're travelling in an actual camper/RV, then hotel reservations are unnecessary.

On 5/25/2019 at 5:15 PM, SwineFlew said:

Yea... I wonder how many of these people are entering into Canada for the first time.  There's a long list of do's and don'ts.

Before W.'s requirement of having a passport, I visited Canada several times a year.  Slowed down a bit, now I live further from the border, but Do's and Don'ts are largely the same as with visiting ANY country (and even some states.)  Be on your best behavior, be clear and respectful when answering border personnel.  Remember, once you are outside of the USA you are subject to their rules and regulations.  Canada is a great neighbor, most Canadians are extremely friendly and polite.

Oh, and they do say, "Eh!" as an emphasis, but that's mostly eastern Canada, such as Ontario.  You'll probably get some funny looks if you go around saying, "Eh!" after everything.  I lived in Michigan and we said, "Eh!" quite a bit, too.

On 5/25/2019 at 7:04 PM, Viajero Perdido said:

No way I'm opening my calendar 15 months in advance, nope.  I'm even keeping this summer's calendar as open as possible, for maximum flexibility.

There are people who can plan their lives >1 year out, but I choose not to be any of 'em.  :lol:

But if all my friends are going (I'll wait a year to find out), maybe I'll have to go too.

I'm not planning 15 months out, but I'm at least making a note on the calendar. Especially considering there is the 20th Anniversary Event and Going Ape the weekend before.

• Upvote 1
On 5/26/2019 at 7:31 PM, K13 said:

A Giga-event needs 5000 will attend logs (but, that'll depend, because HQ considers each one on a case-by-case basis)

On a different note, finally, Geowoodstock comes to Canada. It's right in my backyard this year, too. 

Edited by Hügh
6 hours ago, Hügh said:

A Giga-event needs 5000 will attend logs (but, that'll depend, because HQ considers each one on a case-by-case basis)

Not according to the Help Center link that barefootjeff noted above, which says " To be considered for Giga-Event status, events must reach 3000 Will Attend logs. This number reflects an event's high probability to attract 5000+ Attended logs during the event. "

21 hours ago, DragonsWest said:

Before W.'s requirement of having a passport, I visited Canada several times a year.  Slowed down a bit, now I live further from the border, but Do's and Don'ts are largely the same as with visiting ANY country (and even some states.)  Be on your best behavior, be clear and respectful when answering border personnel.  Remember, once you are outside of the USA you are subject to their rules and regulations.  Canada is a great neighbor, most Canadians are extremely friendly and polite.

Oh, and they do say, "Eh!" as an emphasis, but that's mostly eastern Canada, such as Ontario.  You'll probably get some funny looks if you go around saying, "Eh!" after everything.  I lived in Michigan and we said, "Eh!" quite a bit, too. 

I have lived in Western Washington all my life and I can assure you the folks in BC say "Eh" at the end of pretty much every sentence in general conversation. :)

I worked for a Canadian company for a few years and we joked that "Eh" was the Canadian equivalent of "um", "huh", "like", "you know" so common in the USA. Nothing more than a filler.

On ‎5‎/‎27‎/‎2019 at 3:22 PM, noncentric said:

I don't recall being asked about hotel reservation or financial status the last couple times I've gone up to Canada, although the last trip was 3 years ago, so maybe things have changed since then.  I would suspect that if you're travelling in an actual camper/RV, then hotel reservations are unnecessary.

I've crossed the boarder several times in the last few years towing a trailer and have never been asked about reservations.

4 hours ago, humboldt flier said:

STOP WITH THE FLAMES

Not a Calgary hockey fan?  :anibad:

I remember when they used to play in Atlanta.  My dad tells the story of when the home crowd would cheer when an Atlanta player would ice the puck, because hey, home run!  Then boo when the ref would pick up the puck.  Not so versed on the rules, apparently.

On topic: between this and whatever is planned for 20 years at HQ, it looks pretty likely that I'll be dragging my butt out to Washington for a week in 2020.

On 5/26/2019 at 3:01 PM, fizzymagic said:

I'm going.

I've been to Canada several times and have been questioned more thoroughly when crossing the border than when I went to Cuba.   Canada may be easier because it's closer but the amount of questioning, at least in my experience, has been more thorough than for most of the 30+ countries I've visited.

• Upvote 1
On 5/27/2019 at 4:22 PM, noncentric said:

It's very common to be asked for hotel information (not necessarily showing a reservation) when entering a country.  Pretty much every visa/entry card I've filled out has a field which asks for an address where one will be staying.

Hmm... We go to Canada probably once or twice a year, usually via Lewiston/Queenston and we generally are asked for place of birth/citizenship, length of stay, and purpose of stay.  Even when staying for a few days we've never been asked about specific hotel details or financial status.  Maybe we're just lucky.

17 hours ago, noncentric said:

Not according to the Help Center link that barefootjeff noted above, which says " To be considered for Giga-Event status, events must reach 3000 Will Attend logs. This number reflects an event's high probability to attract 5000+ Attended logs during the event. "

Oops, I was reading the cache type information page. That page just said 5000+ attendees, so I assumed 5000+ will attend logs. 

If you are driving there, don't lie. They know when  come in the country and leave. They enter your license # at the customs   border booth. A friend was driving from Michigan to NY through Ontario (Detroit to Buffalo). At the   border the agent stared"  you are going pretty fast" to him. They knew  exactly what time he crossed into Canada and and what tim he was leaving. 

It used to be a lot more relaxed. Back in the 70s and 80, there were better  "gentlemen's clubs"  in Ontario than western NY.  On a Friday night a bunch of us guys would pile in a car and go to Canada. Wfen they asked at the border why we were there, we answered " To see the Canadian ballet". They would say " Have fun, see you later".

Edited by Wacka
On ‎5‎/‎28‎/‎2019 at 6:00 PM, WRASTRO said:

I have lived in Western Washington all my life and I can assure you the folks in BC say "Eh" at the end of pretty much every sentence in general conversation. :)

I worked for a Canadian company for a few years and we joked that "Eh" was the Canadian equivalent of "um", "huh", "like", "you know" so common in the USA. Nothing more than a filler.

Strange. I've lived in BC all of my life, and "eh" just isn't something that I hear. Maybe I've just become numb to it, so I'll make a point of listening carefully for it from others and myself.

"...oot", on the other hand, is definitely a thing. If I'm saying a word like "about", it comes out as "a-bow-oot" ('bow' as in bow of a ship). The stereotype is that it would be pronounced "aboot", but I've never heard that outside of satirical portrayals of Canadians.

A bit of local orientation:

• The event will be held near Abottsford. The "...ford" part is usually pronounced "furd" locally, not like the car company, so it's something like "Abbotsfurd". I'm sure it's officially supposed to be pronounced "...ford" like the car company, but most people don't say it that way.
  • The Fraser River is the longest river in BC. It flows from the mountains in the eastern part of the province and eventually makes its way to the coast. Near the coast, it flows through the Fraser Valley, which is where Abbotsford is located. The Fraser Valley is a low and very flat floodplain, bounded by mountains to the north and south.
  • The "Lower Mainland" is the name given to the southwestern-most part of mainland BC. It general includes the Fraser Valley and the Greater Vancouver area, plus a few other areas nearby.
  • The Lower Mainland has strong influences from both south Asian (mainly Indian and Pakistani) and east Asian (mainly Chinese) immigrant families. The city of Surrey has the largest south Asian representation, whereas Richmond has the largest Chinese population. Don't be surprised to see many signs in those cities written in the languages of those countries (though most would also be in English).
  • West of the Lower Mainland is Vancouver Island, which is where I live. Note that Vancouver Island is not where the city of Vancouver is located (a common mistake for visitors). The island and city are named after the same person, but are otherwise completely separate. BC Ferries (the 2nd-largest ferry line in the world) has hourly sailings in the summer from south of Vancouver to just north of Victoria on the southern end of the island. If you're going to be visiting the Lower Mainland, you should strongly consider driving over to visit Victoria and other places of interest on the island while you're here. Things are more easy-going and less busy over here than on the Lower Mainland. You can also visit Nanaimo, the origin of the world famous Nanaimo Bar.
  • The legal drinking age in BC is 19.
  • A reminder for our American neighbours (notice the spelling there? :grin:), Canada (like most of the world) uses the metric system. You'll see speed limits in kilometers per hour. 100 km/h is roughly equivalent to 60 mph. A nice day is 20 degrees Celsius.
  • We drink "pop", not soda.
  • The last letter of the alphabet is "zed", not zee.
  • The Barenaked Ladies are really just four fully-clothed guys.
  • Our football game has 10 more yards, one less down, and one more player.
  • Finally, the local hockey team is the Vancouver Canucks. The Calgary Flames are the despised rivals from the other side of the Rockies, and Flames fans will not be warmly welcomed. :laughing:
  • Upvote 1
  • Helpful 2
16 hours ago, Wacka said:

If you are driving there, don't lie.

Strongly recommended for interactions with any law enforcement, really, as providing false information to law enforcement is typically a crime in and of itself, regardless of what other  shenanigans one may have been up to.

• Upvote 1
18 hours ago, The A-Team said:

Strange. I've lived in BC all of my life, and "eh" just isn't something that I hear. Maybe I've just become numb to it, so I'll make a point of listening carefully for it from others and myself.

"...oot", on the other hand, is definitely a thing. If I'm saying a word like "about", it comes out as "a-bow-oot" ('bow' as in bow of a ship). The stereotype is that it would be pronounced "aboot", but I've never heard that outside of satirical portrayals of Canadians.

The other pronunciations that I notice are "progress" or "project" (Canadians pronounce it with a long o) and "against" (with a long a)

A bit of local orientation:

• The event will be held near Abottsford. The "...ford" part is usually pronounced "furd" locally, not like the car company, so it's something like "Abbotsfurd". I'm sure it's officially supposed to be pronounced "...ford" like the car company, but most people don't say it that way.
  • The Fraser River is the longest river in BC. It flows from the mountains in the eastern part of the province and eventually makes its way to the coast. Near the coast, it flows through the Fraser Valley, which is where Abbotsford is located. The Fraser Valley is a low and very flat floodplain, bounded by mountains to the north and south.
  • The "Lower Mainland" is the name given to the southwestern-most part of mainland BC. It general includes the Fraser Valley and the Greater Vancouver area, plus a few other areas nearby.
  • The Lower Mainland has strong influences from both south Asian (mainly Indian and Pakistani) and east Asian (mainly Chinese) immigrant families. The city of Surrey has the largest south Asian representation, whereas Richmond has the largest Chinese population. Don't be surprised to see many signs in those cities written in the languages of those countries (though most would also be in English).
  • West of the Lower Mainland is Vancouver Island, which is where I live. Note that Vancouver Island is not where the city of Vancouver is located (a common mistake for visitors). The island and city are named after the same person, but are otherwise completely separate. BC Ferries (the 2nd-largest ferry line in the world) has hourly sailings in the summer from south of Vancouver to just north of Victoria on the southern end of the island. If you're going to be visiting the Lower Mainland, you should strongly consider driving over to visit Victoria and other places of interest on the island while you're here. Things are more easy-going and less busy over here than on the Lower Mainland. You can also visit Nanaimo, the origin of the world famous Nanaimo Bar.

Many years ago I drove from where I lived in northern California  to my aunt and uncles place on the Olympic peninsula, then took the ferry to Victoria, stayed one night then spent a few days in Port Alberni, before heading to the ferry in Nanaimo to Vancouver and back south.   That's some beautiful country up there.  I would have thought that the broken island would have a bunch of caches (only accessibly by boat) but there are none.  I assume that's because the islands are part of a provincial park.

• The legal drinking age in BC is 19.
  • A reminder for our American neighbours (notice the spelling there? :grin:), Canada (like most of the world) uses the metric system. You'll see speed limits in kilometers per hour. 100 km/h is roughly equivalent to 60 mph. A nice day is 20 degrees Celsius.
  • We drink "pop", not soda.
  • The last letter of the alphabet is "zed", not zee.

And pretty much everywhere else in the world.  You probably write your dates as day/month/year as well.

• The Barenaked Ladies are really just four fully-clothed guys.
  • Our football game has 10 more yards, one less down, and one more player.
  • Finally, the local hockey team is the Vancouver Canucks. The Calgary Flames are the despised rivals from the other side of the Rockies, and Flames fans will not be warmly welcomed. :laughing:

Everything has turned upside down when there is a team from Toronto in the NBA (basketball) finals, and a team from St. Louis in the Stanley cup finals.

On ‎5‎/‎26‎/‎2019 at 6:00 PM, SwineFlew said:

Having a DUI record ..... will require you to do some extra paper work ahead of time

SwineFlew’s post barely touched this subject: 

A US citizen with a DUI/DWI conviction from any state in the past 10 years will not be allowed to enter Canada.  It does not matter whether you intend to drive or not; the DUI/DWI conviction in the past 10 years is sufficient grounds to bar entry. 

There are waivers that can be applied for, but like any bureaucracy, they take a long time to process.  And there is no guarantee of a positive outcome.

For official information, see the Canada Border Services Agency website.  

Joe

1 hour ago, Joe_L said:

SwineFlew’s post barely touched this subject: 

A US citizen with a DUI/DWI conviction from any state in the past 10 years will not be allowed to enter Canada.  It does not matter whether you intend to drive or not; the DUI/DWI conviction in the past 10 years is sufficient grounds to bar entry. 

There are waivers that can be applied for, but like any bureaucracy, they take a long time to process.  And there is no guarantee of a positive outcome.

For official information, see the Canada Border Services Agency website.  

Joe

From what I've seen in crossings, any felony can be a bar to entry.

3 hours ago, NYPaddleCacher said:

I would have thought that the broken island would have a bunch of caches (only accessibly by boat) but there are none.  I assume that's because the islands are part of a provincial park.

The Broken Group are part of a national park, and there are strict conditions for hiding a cache in a Canadian national park. You don't see many caches in them as a result. Going further, the islands are actually part of the Pacific Rim National Park Reserve. The general public can't hide caches in a national park reserve. We're lucky down here on the south end of the island that the managers of the Gulf Islands National Park Reserve have hidden a series of caches there, and they're pretty good.

On the other hand, the conditions are much less strict for BC provincial parks, so you see lots of caches in those.

Years ago, I went with a few members of my family on a several-day kayaking trip through the Broken Group. It was a really neat area. The highlight was paddling through a narrow channel between some islands, surrounded by hundreds of sea lions.