How Do I Hide A Story Cache

Wet_Ground

What is your impression of how that would work?  For example, if it’s in multiple “stages” where cachers find various portions of a story that leads to a final container, you’d set it up as a mystery or multi cache.

There are also caches where programming is involved, such as Wherigo that contains the whole guided adventure.

• Upvote 1

I remember a blog about story worthy caches,  meant as a cache interesting and unique enough that folks often talked about.

The post isn't clear, but if you're talking about creating a cache with a theme, that could be done as simply as a series of traditionals.

I'm not sure if this is what you mean by a "story cache", but my Plodfoot vs The Bushranger series consists of (so far) eight caches each telling one chapter of the story, set in the mid 1800s colonial Australia, about the outlaw bushranger's crimes and the attempts by Constable Plodfoot (later to become Sheriff Plodfoot) to capture him. The first cache in the series (The Bushranger) was originally set by one of my friends (I later adopted it from him) and, after creating the Plodfoot character in my FTF log, I started making the sequels. The caches are a mix of multis and puzzles, with the seeker having to find clues to locating the bushranger's current hideout. In most of them there's a themed object representing the stolen goods attached to the logbook in the cache.

image.png.34abca711c15cd8c92a50ed4ecc6ab93.png

1 hour ago, barefootjeff said:

I'm not sure if this is what you mean by a "story cache", but my Plodfoot vs The Bushranger series consists of (so far) eight caches each telling one chapter of the story, set in the mid 1800s colonial Australia, about the outlaw bushranger's crimes and the attempts by Constable Plodfoot (later to become Sheriff Plodfoot) to capture him. The first cache in the series (The Bushranger) was originally set by one of my friends (I later adopted it from him) and, after creating the Plodfoot character in my FTF log, I started making the sequels. The caches are a mix of multis and puzzles, with the seeker having to find clues to locating the bushranger's current hideout. In most of them there's a themed object representing the stolen goods attached to the logbook in the cache.

image.png.34abca711c15cd8c92a50ed4ecc6ab93.png

Wow!  That sounds very cool! 

12 hours ago, Wet_Ground said:

just wondering how would I hide a story cache I have see mention of such caches in a book and online but have never seen one

I have already seen one but I did't immediatelly recognize that it was a story cache before doing a single Google search. It is a cache where every visitor adds a new paragraph to the story that the owner started. "Instead of leaving a trinket,, each person should leave their name, date, and the next portion of the story."

Here is one https://coord.info/GCN55P

• Upvote 1
6 hours ago, arisoft said:

I have already seen one but I did't immediatelly recognize that it was a story cache before doing a single Google search. It is a cache where every visitor adds a new paragraph to the story that the owner started. "Instead of leaving a trinket,, each person should leave their name, date, and the next portion of the story."

Here is one https://coord.info/GCN55P

sorry I could not reply sooner, and yes that does sound like what I was thinking I was just wondering if there was a better way to hide it than a Traditional cache.

Edited by Wet_Ground
  • Upvote 1
1 hour ago, Wet_Ground said:

just wondering if there was a better way to hide it than a Traditional cache.

Both above examples where there's a book to write in, are Traditionals, and containers big enough to hold books. A reason for it being Traditional is that fewer people hunt the fancier cache types. It would be designed to appeal to plenty of story-writing Geocachers. More accessible means more finders. One of the examples was muggled, and I've seen more creative writing in muggle available caches than from any ordinary Geocachers. Not “stories” that you may read to your grandmother, but... stories. :blink:

I write more in the online log because the one in the cache tends to be a wet and moldy slip of paper. It's not likely that I'd be battling gnats while crouching in mud in the rain to write a story.  However, if the story part of it is for the online logs, that could be cool, too, so people can write stuff whenever there's a chance later. Also, of course a “story” cannot be required as a condition of the Find.

Edited by kunarion