Wireless download of Geocaches

I am looking for a good GPS that I can download caches wirelessly to. Its interesting that this feature is not clearly described in the manufacturer's descriptions.

I've been caching for years, and was and have been happy with my Magellan Meridian. I transitioned to using my iPhone most of the time, but don't like getting stuck when I'm away from cell service.

Can you easily download caches wirelessly to to Garmin eTrex 20 and 30 units? I'm looking to stay in the sub $200 range.

Currently, the only handheld GPSr that have a wireless geocache downloading feature are the Garmin Oregon 7x0 and GPSMAP 66 series GPSr. Both of these units can download geocaches wirelessly over Bluetooth and Wi-Fi, but they are about twice the price you want to pay. Neither can download geocaches wirelessly when out of cell service range - but what device can?

You can not buy a Ferrari on a KIA budget.

Edited by Atlas Cached

The eTrex 30 states, "The eTrex 30x can also be connected wirelessly to other GPS or sensors that are so enabled. This is great for sharing waypoints, routes and tracks with hiking partners and also pairing a cardiac strap or foot pedal."

That sounds weak...I have no need to connect to other GPS. But if it has wireless capability, why not use it to download caches?? And , hence, why I posted the question. I was hoping you'd tell me the 30 would do the job!!

Thanks for the replies.

44 minutes ago, YakingCampers said:

The eTrex 30 states, "The eTrex 30x can also be connected wirelessly to other GPS or sensors that are so enabled. This is great for sharing waypoints, routes and tracks with hiking partners and also pairing a cardiac strap or foot pedal."

That sounds weak...I have no need to connect to other GPS. But if it has wireless capability, why not use it to download caches?? And , hence, why I posted the question. I was hoping you'd tell me the 30 would do the job!!

Thanks for the replies.

Not weak at all. This feature allows Garmin GPSr users to share data between themselves in the field, without needing to carry additional equipment to accomplish the task.

You are confusing this 'Wireless' feature with the 'Wireless' internet you likely have in your home. They could not be more different. The eTrex 30 'Wireless' capabilities are accomplished using an ANT+ radio, allowing low power data transmission between compatible devices, including external sensors and other GPSr.

For more detailed information, see GPSrChive > eTrex 30 > Operation > Wireless

49 minutes ago, YakingCampers said:

That requires planning!! :^)

That is correct.

And even then, the data is never truly 'current' or up to date.

You will have to step up to the Oregon 7x0 or GPSMAP 66 to be able to cache on the fly, without any prior planning, and always having the most current information available on your Garmin GPSr.

37 minutes ago, Atlas Cached said:

Not weak at all. This feature allows Garmin GPSr users to share data between themselves in the field, without needing to carry additional equipment to accomplish the task.

You are confusing this 'Wireless' feature with the 'Wireless' internet you likely have in your home. They could not be more different. The eTrex 30 'Wireless' capabilities are accomplished using an ANT+ radio, allowing low power data transmission between compatible devices, including external sensors and other GPSr.

For more detailed information, see GPSrChive > eTrex 30 > Operation > Wireless

Thanks. By "weak", I meant in words of the manufacturer's product description.

On ‎5‎/‎24‎/‎2019 at 6:25 AM, YakingCampers said:

Its interesting that this feature is not clearly described in the manufacturer's descriptions.

It's kind of a weird thing that manufacturers won't say how to load a GPS from Geocaching.com, nor that Geocaching.com won't tell how to load GPSs by model. Neither will say “Place a GPX file into the Garmin/GPX folder”, a secret that 99% of everyone who needs that information must dig up. You see the question frequently around here, and once they know the secret, most people can take it from there, even if not “manually” loading a GPS.

I could imagine that Geocaching.com would tell you all about the latest Garmin (for example) if Garmin were a sponsor. And Garmin (for example) would have complete instructions about loading every popular GPS if they supported every popular GPS. But companies drop support for old models, plus the Geocaching web site changes so that the way you did it yesterday has changed today. And in some cases, the process for clearing memory space for Geocaching files is as critical as loading them. Probably the best thing to try is to read the Forums and see what steps make the most sense to you.