Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
YakingCampers

Wireless download of Geocaches

Recommended Posts

I am looking for a good GPS that I can download caches wirelessly to. Its interesting that this feature is not clearly described in the manufacturer's descriptions.

I've been caching for years, and was and have been happy with my Magellan Meridian. I transitioned to using my iPhone most of the time, but don't like getting stuck when I'm away from cell service.

Can you easily download caches wirelessly to to Garmin eTrex 20 and 30 units? I'm looking to stay in the sub $200 range.

Share this post


Link to post
Posted (edited)

Currently, the only handheld GPSr that have a wireless geocache downloading feature are the Garmin Oregon 7x0 and GPSMAP 66 series GPSr. Both of these units can download geocaches wirelessly over Bluetooth and Wi-Fi, but they are about twice the price you want to pay. Neither can download geocaches wirelessly when out of cell service range - but what device can?

 

You can not buy a Ferrari on a KIA budget.

 

 

Edited by Atlas Cached

Share this post


Link to post
Posted (edited)

Dakota 20 will do it from another GPS, for a reasonable price.

Edited by RuideAlmeida

Share this post


Link to post
3 hours ago, YakingCampers said:

... but don't like getting stuck when I'm away from cell service.

 

Being PM you can create PQs and save them for offline use.

Share this post


Link to post

The eTrex 30 states, "The eTrex 30x can also be connected wirelessly to other GPS or sensors that are so enabled. This is great for sharing waypoints, routes and tracks with hiking partners and also pairing a cardiac strap or foot pedal."

 

That sounds weak...I have no need to connect to other GPS. But if it has wireless capability, why not use it to download caches?? And , hence, why I posted the question. I was hoping you'd tell me the 30 would do the job!!

 

Thanks for the replies.

Share this post


Link to post
22 hours ago, RuideAlmeida said:

 

Being PM you can create PQs and save them for offline use.

That requires planning!! :^)

  • Funny 1

Share this post


Link to post
44 minutes ago, YakingCampers said:

The eTrex 30 states, "The eTrex 30x can also be connected wirelessly to other GPS or sensors that are so enabled. This is great for sharing waypoints, routes and tracks with hiking partners and also pairing a cardiac strap or foot pedal."

 

That sounds weak...I have no need to connect to other GPS. But if it has wireless capability, why not use it to download caches?? And , hence, why I posted the question. I was hoping you'd tell me the 30 would do the job!!

 

Thanks for the replies.

 

Not weak at all. This feature allows Garmin GPSr users to share data between themselves in the field, without needing to carry additional equipment to accomplish the task.

 

You are confusing this 'Wireless' feature with the 'Wireless' internet you likely have in your home. They could not be more different. The eTrex 30 'Wireless' capabilities are accomplished using an ANT+ radio, allowing low power data transmission between compatible devices, including external sensors and other GPSr.

 

For more detailed information, see GPSrChive > eTrex 30 > Operation > Wireless

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
49 minutes ago, YakingCampers said:

That requires planning!! :^)

 

That is correct.

 

And even then, the data is never truly 'current' or up to date.

 

You will have to step up to the Oregon 7x0 or GPSMAP 66 to be able to cache on the fly, without any prior planning, and always having the most current information available on your Garmin GPSr.

Share this post


Link to post
37 minutes ago, Atlas Cached said:

 

Not weak at all. This feature allows Garmin GPSr users to share data between themselves in the field, without needing to carry additional equipment to accomplish the task.

 

You are confusing this 'Wireless' feature with the 'Wireless' internet you likely have in your home. They could not be more different. The eTrex 30 'Wireless' capabilities are accomplished using an ANT+ radio, allowing low power data transmission between compatible devices, including external sensors and other GPSr.

 

For more detailed information, see GPSrChive > eTrex 30 > Operation > Wireless

 

 

Thanks. By "weak", I meant in words of the manufacturer's product description.

Share this post


Link to post
On ‎5‎/‎24‎/‎2019 at 6:25 AM, YakingCampers said:

Its interesting that this feature is not clearly described in the manufacturer's descriptions.

 

It's kind of a weird thing that manufacturers won't say how to load a GPS from Geocaching.com, nor that Geocaching.com won't tell how to load GPSs by model. Neither will say “Place a GPX file into the Garmin/GPX folder”, a secret that 99% of everyone who needs that information must dig up. You see the question frequently around here, and once they know the secret, most people can take it from there, even if not “manually” loading a GPS.

 

I could imagine that Geocaching.com would tell you all about the latest Garmin (for example) if Garmin were a sponsor. And Garmin (for example) would have complete instructions about loading every popular GPS if they supported every popular GPS. But companies drop support for old models, plus the Geocaching web site changes so that the way you did it yesterday has changed today. And in some cases, the process for clearing memory space for Geocaching files is as critical as loading them. Probably the best thing to try is to read the Forums and see what steps make the most sense to you.

Share this post


Link to post

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

×
×
  • Create New...