Geocaching abbreviations

I made a trivia video at a local mega event and included a bunch of acronyms as well as some geocaching history and cache types.  The acronym list that Michaelcycle posted is awesome; I'll have to incorporate some of those into some future trivia challenge.

In case you're interested, see how you do in this geocaching trivia quiz.  

• Upvote 1
2 hours ago, GeoElmo6000 said:

I made a trivia video at a local mega event and included a bunch of acronyms as well as some geocaching history and cache types.  The acronym list that Michaelcycle posted is awesome; I'll have to incorporate some of those into some future trivia challenge.

In case you're interested, see how you do in this geocaching trivia quiz.  

The only one that I didn't know was the location of the first event cache.  I know that it has been mentioned here but I just wasn't paying attention.  

19 hours ago, allardjd said:

Newbie!  I've run into these in logs and can't find an explanation in the glossary or Acronyms list.  I have a suspicion they'll be forehead-slappers once someone tells me what they mean.

• AIP
  • AIW

I think we'd have to see them used in context to figure out what they mean.

54 minutes ago, The A-Team said:

There are some AIPs here: https://coord.info/GC8636X

Also that same cache has an AWPs which are stated to mean "Assisted With Placement".  But that doesn't seem to fully explain what's going on.  I'm gonna go ask.

OK. I asked a couple of finders who posted "AIP".  I also found similar abbreviations "HIP" and "TAP" by the group.  The caches seem to be hidden by a "team", and the abbreviations may be used mainly among the team members themselves.

Edited by kunarion
1 hour ago, The A-Team said:

AWP is another that I haven't run into a reference for, except in the thread above.

"Assisted With Placement" seems to make sense on the bottom one in the image below.  

[Not sure why I'm showing as a "Basic Member Here"  I went Premium a couple weeks ago, at least.]

AIP-AWP.thumb.jpg.cdbbad256a1885ef820e73e62a299fe6.jpg

Edited by allardjd
  • Upvote 1
1 hour ago, The A-Team said:

Yeah, that's what I was thinking. AWP and AIP are basically just "I was part of the group that hid the cache".

"AIW", I don't know. Assisted in... something?

And then there's "TAP".  I'm further guessing it's merely a form of shorthand used among the group.

3 hours ago, allardjd said:

Is it normal/kosher for someone who assisted in placing a cache to claim it as a find?

It seems pretty common.

Where I live, I've seen friends plan and hide a cache together, they all sign the physical log in advance, and they also don't log online until "someone else" finds it. Then they all claim a Find, with the exception of the listed "Cache Owner" of course.  So the “someone else” gets “FTF”, which seems a little chronologically incorrect to me, but that's more for the “FTF” to work out. It's "FTF after publication".  Yeah, that's the ticket!

As to “AIP”, I shall suppose it is in fact just that. It's others who were in on the hide, logging the find. But if I can't log “Finding” my own cache online, I won't log Finding a cache that several of us placed as a group. Probably.  If I did, it would be rare. And I would not type “AIW”. I'd use words. B)

I occasionally place caches under my team's name. But the “team” wasn't directly involved in placing it, didn't sign in advance, and they can go hunt for it as usual.

But it's a group of friends simply having fun trying to out-evil each other, and nobody seems to be having problems. Who am I to say “you can't type AIW!”? I don't know what it means, but so what! They know what it means.*

*But I still wanna know... :cute:

Edited by kunarion
23 hours ago, allardjd said:

Newbie!  I've run into these in logs and can't find an explanation in the glossary or Acronyms list.  I have a suspicion they'll be forehead-slappers once someone tells me what they mean.

• AIP
  • AIW

OK, I got an answer!  Here's what I have so far:

TAP = There At Placement
AIP = Assisted In Placement
AWP = Assisted With Placement

(AIW?  Naw, I think I was seeing things)

They may be used interchangeably, but check it out:  I can be There At Placement, get coordinates or something, yet not see the container nor exactly how it was hidden.  So there may be subtle differences in terms.  Basically they more or less all “placed the cache together” as a creative team. 

Suppose you're one of a bunch of people in a cache maker group for some upcoming cache series (related to a bigger Event, perhaps).  You helped build the puzzles or puzzle containers, or pick the hiding spots, or whatever.  You did some of it.  Is there a point when you've done too much of the “hiding” to be considered a Finder?  When do you get to claim a Find and when do you not?  Now suppose you did in fact sign it (even pre-signed the log when it was hidden).  Discuss among yourselves.

Edited by kunarion

I'm too new at this to sit in judgment of others.  If the geocaching longbeards say it's OK, then that's all I need to hear.  If they say it's not OK, I won't do it if in that situation.  Color me neutral.

Any thoughts on whether AIW = All Is Well, as someone suggested above, i.e. not related to the placer/owner of the cache, just a routine find logging reporting no problems?

2 hours ago, allardjd said:

Is it normal/kosher for someone who assisted in placing a cache to claim it as a find?

For me, it is not.  For other locals, it's fine.  Hubby and I have placed several caches together, some under my account, some under his account.  The only ones under his account that I have claimed have been those I went to check on, replace a log, or check it after a DNF, where I was by myself, looked for the cache, did maintenance or verified it was where it should be.  I felt I had "found it" at that point, especially if there had been a DNF prior.  He still has several nearby that I have NOT claimed a smilie on, just because it doesn't feel right, to me.

33 minutes ago, allardjd said:

I'm too new at this to sit in judgment of others.  If the geocaching longbeards say it's OK, then that's all I need to hear.  If they say it's not OK, I won't do it if in that situation.  Color me neutral.

Any thoughts on whether AIW = All Is Well, as someone suggested above, i.e. not related to the placer/owner of the cache, just a routine find logging reporting no problems?

If I'm typing something that may be confusing to read, I type it long-hand, then use the abbreviation for it (or I define it once, then I use the word from that point).  I haven't used anything like "TFTF" in like forever.  I do type "Thanks".

You (allardjd) should log out of the Forum, then back in.  Get the "Premium Member" title. :anicute:

• Helpful 1
6 minutes ago, CAVinoGal said:

Hubby and I have placed several caches together, some under my account, some under his account.  The only ones under his account that I have claimed have been those I went to check on, replace a log, or check it after a DNF, where I was by myself, looked for the cache, did maintenance or verified it was where it should be.  I felt I had "found it" at that point, especially if there had been a DNF prior.  He still has several nearby that I have NOT claimed a smilie on, just because it doesn't feel right, to me.

It's usually not about whether or not I must search for a cache.  It's more about if I actually placed it (in cahoots with everybody else in the team or not) and then I went to "find"... my own cache.  That's so goofy and confusing for people, we can't even log our own caches online anymore.

As to whether or not I have to search for it to be a legitimate find, I often decide where it is before I arrive.  Some of them I know 110% exactly what it is and where, and if I was uncertain, I'd wait til I'm certain before I go there to "find" it.