New Geocaching Features // Ideas

ozbuckeye

I have a few suggestions for new features for geocaching in the future, not too sure if this is the right place but I would like to share my thoughts.

#1: I think FTF should be a legitimate thing (I know they are but) like they could be displayed on your profile. The cache owner could award a person (or multiple in case of joint FTF) and these would count towards a persons' profile.

#2: Favourite points. I really like the idea of favourite points and I would like to back up the results from the survey. Having a box to explain why a FP was awarded would be really cool as a CO because you can know what you are doing right and how to keep such up. This could in the long run increase cache quality. Also a rating system could be cool.

#3: Map filter to search by favourite point/ rating system if it is added and also unfound caches. If a cache still has FTF opportunity, display it. Even a recommended tab with popular geocaches nearby would be a neat addition.

#4: New cache notifications being a literal notification on a phone instead of just being an email.

Thanks for reading this, these are just suggestions but I feel like they would be effective if they were implemented into the game. Let me know if you have any other suggestions or if there is a better place I can show my ideas. Thanks.

Edited by ozbuckeye
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, ozbuckeye said:

#4: New cache notifications being a literal notification on a phone instead of just being an email.

As in getting a notification from the geocaching app, or as in getting an SMS?  The former would be a new feature solution.  The latter has been discussed in many a thread - search for email AND SMS.

#1: I think FTF should be a legitimate thing (I know they are but) like they could be displayed on your profile. The cache owner could award a person (or multiple in case of joint FTF) and these would count towards a persons' profile.

Not going to happen.  There is enough angst about finds being legitimate or not and then you want to toss in FTF as well.  There are some API partnered sources that will allow you to track your FTFs and add them to your public profile for display. GSAK comes to mind immediately.

#2: Favourite points. I really like the idea of favourite points and I would like to back up the results from the survey. Having a box to explain why a FP was awarded would be really cool as a CO because you can know what you are doing right and how to keep such up. This could in the long run increase cache quality. Also a rating system could be cool.

The rating system has been suggested many times.  There's already an app that does this but I don't know if it's an API partner.  

I think it would be easier to show a FP awarded on the "Found it" log and then that would let seekers read the log as to why a FP was given.  Most people who give FPs tend to say why in their logs.  I don't know if they'd want to write another log stating why they gave it a FP.  They'd most likely be just repeating themselves.

2 hours ago, ozbuckeye said:

#3: Map filter to search by favourite point/ rating system if it is added and also unfound caches. If a cache still has FTF opportunity, display it. Even a recommended tab with popular geocaches nearby would be a neat addition.

As a premium member, you can create a PQ that runs daily that displays ONLY unfound caches within a determined distance from a specific location.  I have one that I run that shows all unfound cache types within 100 miles from my home location.  It also includes events, which is great because I sometimes forget that they've been published and I can just go there to see them.  There's another way to track unfound caches, explained below, that's a tad bit more complicated.

You can already search by FPs on the new search map but it's based on a minimum number that you determine in the filters.  You can't do it on the Browse (old default) map.  If you do an initial search by city (without going to either map), a list of caches within 10 miles will be generated.  If you click the "favorites" tab, it sorts the caches by FPs, from most to least.  If you click it again, it will sort them from least to most (why you'd want to go this route, I don't know).  There currently is no way to sort by FP %.  

Within that same city generated list, you can also sort by "Last Found" date.  The first click lists the caches in order from most recently found to found longest ago (or not found at all).  Clicking it again flips the order, but places any caches without a find (which would also include any type of event) at the top of the list.

Recently, GS has actually sent out a couple of emails letting you know that they think you might find a particular cache interesting.  It's obviously NOT the same as your suggestion but it's a start.  However, as others have commented on that thread, the caches recommended aren't often ones some of us would choose to try to find.

2 hours ago, coachstahly said:
4 hours ago, ozbuckeye said:

Not going to happen.  There is enough angst about finds being legitimate or not and then you want to toss in FTF as well.  There are some API partnered sources that will allow you to track your FTFs and add them to your public profile for display. GSAK comes to mind immediately.

Yeah, I'd hate to think what drama would ensue if the CO's designation of FTF didn't match what a finder's idea of FTF was.

"Why did you designate a co-FTF? I found it first on my own. I should have the sole FTF designation."

"Why didn't you designate a co-FTF? The two of us found it together, so we should both be FTF."

"Why haven't you designated the FTF yet? It's been three whole hours since I posted my FTF log."

"Why haven't you designated the FTF yet? It's been three months since I posted my FTF log."

No thank you. Keep track of your FTFs on your own. As a cache owner, I want nothing to do with it.

• Upvote 9
6 hours ago, ozbuckeye said:

I have a few suggestions for new features for geocaching in the future, not too sure if this is the right place but I would like to share my thoughts.

... Let me know if you have any other suggestions

It's the right place.  :)

1-  No, they're not.   First, folks would have to decide what a FTF  is.    I'll be pushing daisies before that one's figured out... 

We stopped counting FTFs at 350, but still find first at times.

I stopped counting when a CO had a glitzy, moving disco ball with our cache name in the middle, trailing along a dancing banner on the cache page

Anyone knows me realizes it didn't go over well...

2- "What you're doing right" should be a thing written in your Found It log.    No need then for "ratings".  

3- Amazing that after finding guardrail, lpc, dumpster and porta-potty caches with FPs, that folks still believe they mean something.   :laughing:

I don't use a phone.  Many I cache with don't either.  I'll log my finds when I get home.  How does that work into your "FTF opportunity display" ? 

Years ago, it was common to show up to a cache and find another's name on the log.   Luck of the draw.  That's what makes it a game.

4-  Notifications have worked for quite a few years.  In fact, if it's again about that FTF thing, we found our fist 200+ without notifications...

• Upvote 4
  • Helpful 1
39 minutes ago, cerberus1 said:

1-  No, they're not.   First, folks would have to decide what a FTF  is.    I'll be pushing daisies before that one's figured out... 

In the official FTF competition there would be a passcode in the logbook and the first player who can enter the right code into Found It log gets the official FTF.

Edited by arisoft
  • Funny 1
  • Surprised 3
19 minutes ago, arisoft said:

In the official FTF competition there would be a passcode in the logbook and the first player who can enter the right code into Found It log gets the official FTF.

So if the first person to find a cache doesn't log online and has to wait several hours to get home and enter the code, meanwhile the second person to find the cache enters the code online and gets FTF - but they were not the First To Find the cache, and are the second name in the logbook ; I think  you're going to need to find a different meaning for the FTF acronym.

Here we are, the idea isn't even being implemented and yet people are already arguing about what constitutes FTF  :P Best leave the idea alone I think.

Edited by MartyBartfast
  • Upvote 4
38 minutes ago, MartyBartfast said:

So if the first person to find a cache doesn't log online and has to wait several hours to get home and enter the code, meanwhile the second person to find the cache enters the code online and gets FTF - but they were not the First To Find the cache, and are the second name in the logbook ; I think  you're going to need to find a different meaning for the FTF acronym.

You do not think as a FTF-hunter does. Of course you would tear the passcode from the logbook with you if you have no working mobile device to enter the FTF-claim. Most FTF-hunters have appropriate tools with them because with a preloaded GPS only they don't know where to go.

• Upvote 1
6 hours ago, coachstahly said:

I think it would be easier to show a FP awarded on the "Found it" log and then that would let seekers read the log as to why a FP was given.  Most people who give FPs tend to say why in their logs.

This is such a simple and excellent idea. The cachers who awarded an FP are already publicly listed, so this would just make it easier to see their respective logs and feedback. It could be as simple as displaying the blue heart icon somewhere in the box with the logger's name or beside the "Found it" text.

• Upvote 3
3 hours ago, arisoft said:

So everybody that hides a cache is going to have to somehow come up with this passcode and leave it in the cache? Sounds doable in some other universe.

• Upvote 3
  • Funny 2
  • Helpful 1
2 hours ago, arisoft said:

You do not think as a FTF-hunter does. Of course you would tear the passcode from the logbook with you if you have no working mobile device to enter the FTF-claim. Most FTF-hunters have appropriate tools with them because with a preloaded GPS only they don't know where to go.

I used to leave a FTF certificate in my new caches, until on one of them the FTF decided to leave it behind to try to confuse the 2TF and it worked, the 2TF didn't know what was going on. So no, I let the finders figure out FTF between themselves.

• Upvote 2
  • Helpful 1
11 hours ago, ozbuckeye said:

I rarely have a single reason for awarding an FP as it's often just based on the feeling I have on the way home that it was a really enjoyable cache, with no particular objective reason in mind. In my log I'll wax lyrical about the fun time I had doing it and that ought to be enough. Usually it's something that appeals on multiple levels, like a well-thought-out cache page, an exceptional location with an adventure or two along the way, a themed container, a long hike, an enjoyable puzzle, interesting waypoints, something that pushed me out of my comfort zone, or even if it's just clear that the CO put a lot of thought and effort into creating the cache. Generally the longer it takes me to do a cache, the more likely it is to get an FP from me, so you won't see many P&Gs on my list of favourites.

• Upvote 1
15 hours ago, ozbuckeye said:

Most apps using the API can search by a number of favorite points. Geooh GO can show the newest caches around your location and highlight any that have no found logs that may be a FTF opportunity.

7 hours ago, barefootjeff said:

I used to leave a FTF certificate in my new caches, until on one of them the FTF decided to leave it behind to try to confuse the 2TF and it worked, the 2TF didn't know what was going on. So no, I let the finders figure out FTF between themselves.

We have one geocacher here who may post only a note with a photo of the logbook without any marks in the logbook to confuse other finders. :)

Many cache owners would forget to add the FTF-passcode as they forget to add GC-code etc. It wouldn't be free of any problems. Your FTF certificate is a nice idea. ?

Edited by arisoft
13 hours ago, The A-Team said:
20 hours ago, coachstahly said:

I think it would be easier to show a FP awarded on the "Found it" log and then that would let seekers read the log as to why a FP was given.  Most people who give FPs tend to say why in their logs.

This is such a simple and excellent idea. The cachers who awarded an FP are already publicly listed, so this would just make it easier to see their respective logs and feedback. It could be as simple as displaying the blue heart icon somewhere in the box with the logger's name or beside the "Found it" text.

Yes or even better having a link to a page with only those logs of finder who rewarded a FP.

• Upvote 1
15 hours ago, arisoft said:

Funny idea, I love it. Especially when the cache is listed in more than one cache database.

So some cachers do have the code days before the cache is published on geocaching.com

Then the FTF goes to the cacher who enters the code first after publish - must be fun (to watch - don't forget to buy Popcorn)

• Funny 2
On 5/22/2019 at 8:26 PM, hzoi said:

As in getting a notification from the geocaching app, or as in getting an SMS?  The former would be a new feature solution.  The latter has been discussed in many a thread - search for email AND SMS.

Yeah a notification from the app itself.