Garmin Cables

Guest genegarris

Guest genegarris

Anyone know where I can pick up the Data and Powercable for an eTrex that doesn't cost $30.

I would hate to spend 1/3rd of the cost of my might eTrex on the cable

If you don't mind doing a little soldering then you could make one cheap. A little bit of four conducture wire. A DB-25 or DB-9 female serial connector. You should be able to get one from Radio Shack or another similar store. An old serial mouse also works great. It has the four conductor wire and an nice DB-9 molded onto the wire. Just cut it off near the mouse. Then all you need is a Pfranc ePlug. These are about 7-8 dollars apeice. I made a pair of cables for a friend and myself for ten bucks apeice (I had to buy the DB-9s) You can get the ePlugs from http://pfranc.com/projects/g45contr/emap/index.htm. I have used the plugs he made for the eTrex/eMap and the ones for the older II/III/12 series. There good quality plugs. There is also tips on how to make the correct connections on the page. As well as some completely homemake connector ideas for the really advetureous.

As for the power cable you can make this seperately or as part of the data cable but you have to be really carefull about what voltage you feed to an eTrex or eMap. You can burn it up if you give it much more than 3V. I have not tried to make a power cable just the data cable. It can be done but the power regualations stuff is beyond my primitive electrial engineering skills.

Matt

Guest genegarris

Wow!

Thanks. I posted a similiar message in a newsgroup and got a few people trying to sell me garmin cables for $35!

Thanks. It looks like I get to use my 60 Watt Weller Iron again.

I'll have to order some stuff from MCM Electronics and Order the Plugs

I appreciate you lettine me know about this. Thanks!