Sign in to follow this  
Followers 1
EdenRike

Is there an easier way to edit the HTML description

Hi Geocaching Community!

I am currently trying to edit my description but I am not to big on HTML code editing. 

Is there an easier way to edit the HTML on a description.

See screenshot below for reason :)

(It just looks messy and unprofessional)

Screen Shot 2019-05-21 at 9.29.08 AM.png

Posted (edited)

Do you want it easy?  :)

If so, use plain text and paste <br /> for a line break, and <br /> <br /> to start a new paragraph.  I've done that for a bunch of my caches, and it not only makes editing a breeze, people using paperless GPSs probably appreciate not having to try to read a lot of professionalism. :P

Edited by kunarion
  • Love 1

It looks t me as if you have bold text on for all of it and there are, I think, three different font sizes involved. That's what, to my eye, is making it look "unprofessional".

I do all my own html anyway, but I presume that at the start of each paragraph there will be tags that do the styling. You want to replace each of those with a simple <p> tag - and check that at the end of each paragraph there's a </p> tag.

Anything with style in it could be removed, as could any <strong> and </strong> tags and anything using the word <font> in it.

To change the hyperlink you need to change it to go something like:

<a href="URL GOES HERE">Click here to unlock the password</a>

That will take out the bare URL and replace it with the words inside the tags.

• Helpful 1

5 hours ago, EdenRike said:

Is there an easier way to edit the HTML on a description.

When you open a new cache you can use a WYSIWYG HTML editor once but later it is not possible when you want to change something.

One almost working solution is using another application, for example MS Word, to edit the source text and save as a HTML to be copied to the cache editor. It does not work always correctly but it is a good try if you want to make it easy.

• Helpful 1

3 hours ago, EdenRike said:

Thx found a solution already:

https://html-online.com/editor/

That's a very good solution.  The WYSIWYG editor and side-by-side panels allow you to see the raw html that is being created and will help you learn more HTML.  Make sure to keep a copy of the HTML on your computer somewhere and avoid doing anything complex just because you can.   Keep in mind that the cache page will be displayed on a variety of devices, including relatively old GPS receivers.  

• Upvote 2
  • Helpful 2

1 hour ago, NYPaddleCacher said:

the cache page will be displayed on a variety of devices, including relatively old GPS receivers.   

Before smartphones, and when most gps units could not handle the text of a cache page, people loaded them to PDAs to read the description, and the coords to a gps. 

The PDA would often display the raw html.   This defeated a good many puzzles with the solution in the source ;-).  I learned that the solution could be in the html this way.

• Helpful 1

23 hours ago, Isonzo Karst said:

Before smartphones, and when most gps units could not handle the text of a cache page, people loaded them to PDAs to read the description, and the coords to a gps. 

The PDA would often display the raw html.   This defeated a good many puzzles with the solution in the source ;-).  I learned that the solution could be in the html this way.

I used to have an app that would convert the cache listings to a PDF file that could be viewed on a PDA.  Puzzle caches which hide the solution in the source code are so common now that it's the first thing people check now.