Feeling pretty let down by Groundspeak re the API (old/new/whatever)

Hi all,

I've been Geocaching for a while.  Not as long as some - only about 11 years - and my finds aren't that many - about 1000 - but long enough to know a thing or two about it, I suppose.

Anyway, way back in July 2012 I requested permission to use and process/analyse the downloadable PQ files generated by My Finds PQs.  I was granted this permission.

The app that made use of this permission was pretty much finished and I was periodically reaching out to Groundspeak to get updates on various things but the responses completely dried up.

Around that time I also asked for access to the API, a program that I know was closed to new applications a very long time ago (2014? 2015? ages, anyway).

Nothing has changed on that front - the page that allows us to apply still says no new applications are being accepted but that we can apply for the waiting list.

What waiting list?  Does it even exist?  Sorry for the cynicism but a waiting list that lasts for this long suggests it's not really being watched, at all.

Are there any plans to allow new developers access to the program?  I see a lot of posts about problems with a new API, JSON API, migration to a new API that cuts over on May 1, June 1 etc.

I know this is a forum and not "officially" Groundspeak, but should I just give up hope of ever being allowed access to the API?  The lack of response from Groundspeak and the lack of info for members that really want to write new apps is very disappointing.

Apologies for being negative but I also found a bug in the way My Finds PQs were generated - a bug that was acknowledged as being a known issue.  That bug still exists today so I'm not sure what attention is being paid to the quality of developer-related stuff.

Edited by digitalformula
  • Helpful 1
11 hours ago, arisoft said:

Have you tried this. Maybe it is just the "waiting list" you already referred.

For private use, one known working solution is to use GSAK interface. It depends on you need but it may be worth to try.

Yes, that's the waiting list I was talking about.

GSAK is Windows only, right?.  Is there a private/shared interface that they make available to other people that need the Geocaching API?

Edited by digitalformula
8 hours ago, digitalformula said:

GSAK is Windows only, right?.  Is there a private/shared interface that they make available to other people that need the Geocaching API?

This should be the case. I have been told that it has own programming interface to the API you can use for your own projects. This was mentioned once before this "New API" discussion, when there was not possibility to request permisison to use the official API. As the program is now freeware and it is using the new API it may be the only possible solution.

1 hour ago, arisoft said:

This should be the case. I have been told that it has own programming interface to the API you can use for your own projects. This was mentioned once before this "New API" discussion, when there was not possibility to request permisison to use the official API. As the program is now freeware and it is using the new API it may be the only possible solution.

Thanks for the info but a Windows-only application is no use to me (I don't run Windows anywhere or on any device).

I appreciate the response, though.

• Upvote 1
On 5/19/2019 at 6:06 AM, digitalformula said:

Hi all,

I've been Geocaching for a while.  Not as long as some - only about 11 years - and my finds aren't that many - about 1000 - but long enough to know a thing or two about it, I suppose.

Anyway, way back in July 2012 I requested permission to use and process/analyse the downloadable PQ files generated by My Finds PQs.  I was granted this permission.

The app that made use of this permission was pretty much finished and I was periodically reaching out to Groundspeak to get updates on various things but the responses completely dried up.

Around that time I also asked for access to the API, a program that I know was closed to new applications a very long time ago (2014? 2015? ages, anyway).

Nothing has changed on that front - the page that allows us to apply still says no new applications are being accepted but that we can apply for the waiting list.

What waiting list?  Does it even exist?  Sorry for the cynicism but a waiting list that lasts for this long suggests it's not really being watched, at all.

Are there any plans to allow new developers access to the program?  I see a lot of posts about problems with a new API, JSON API, migration to a new API that cuts over on May 1, June 1 etc.

I know this is a forum and not "officially" Groundspeak, but should I just give up hope of ever being allowed access to the API?  The lack of response from Groundspeak and the lack of info for members that really want to write new apps is very disappointing.

Apologies for being negative but I also found a bug in the way My Finds PQs were generated - a bug that was acknowledged as being a known issue.  That bug still exists today so I'm not sure what attention is being paid to the quality of developer-related stuff.

Thanks for your feedback on the API program. I do see your submission and have already added your name to our wait list. While it can seem like nothing has moved forward with the API program in terms of adding new partners recently, please note that we have been hard at work internally to transition from the old API to the new API. We felt it was best to make the transition complete before we started inviting new developers into the program.

Our goal is to begin growing the program in the near future. We’re targeting applications and tools that help enhance the game for geocachers in new ways. We have a lot of valuable partners that already provide tools that geocachers can’t live without and our goal is to invite a limited set of developers with new ideas into the program soon. We will review your submission as part of this process.

• Upvote 3
  • Helpful 1
  • Love 2