Can't send caches to 60cxs

The Ambulators

4 minutes ago, The Ambulators said:

It's been a long time since I've downloaded caches. No matter what I do I can't send caches to my Garmin 60cxs. Is this equipment too out of date? Help! I've tried everything. lol

It might help if you say what you have tried, "everything" is a bit generic.

As PM you could use PQ's, you can create lists, download GPX files...

1 hour ago, The Ambulators said:

It's been a long time since I've downloaded caches. No matter what I do I can't send caches to my Garmin 60cxs. Is this equipment too out of date? Help! I've tried everything. lol

The GPSMAP 60csx doesn't directly accept Geocaching "GPX" files.  Garmin offers no plugins for old GPSs that are no longer supported, and the old "Send To GPS" function on the Geocaching.com web site had security issues.  There's a new "Send To Garmin" button for modern GPSs that Garmin currently supports, which unfortunately doesn't include GPSMAP 60csx.  So there's no web button for you to click and load GPX files.

There is third-party software such as EasyGPS (there's also a fancier pay version) where you might download GPX files to a PC, then use EasyGPS to place the proper files onto your GPS.

Note that GSAK is currently free, and you can manage and send large numbers of caches (or individual ones) to some of the oldest GPSs that exist.  GSAK has a steep learning curve, but you might develop a simple process just for viewing and sending caches, all from within GSAK.

If you're just hunting a cache or two, consider typing the coordinates into the 60csx by hand, and maybe memorize or print or save the cache info onto some portable device.  That beats learning a lot of finicky software, just for a couple of caches. :)

Edited by kunarion
  • Upvote 1
6 hours ago, The Ambulators said:

Everything ?

As said, you're at that point where "rigging" options are more of a pain-in-the-can then they might be worth.  

But... that model is still what many still compare to, and if  working,  I'd keep it.   :)     One of those "if it ain't broke..." things.

I've loaded caches I'd do manually since starting this hobby.   First with a blue legend, then a 60csx a year later.

- I'm about two minutes a cache,  with jotted notes of hints n such on a small notepad.   ;)  

When/if you start getting the bug again,  and need something to load a gazillion caches you won't do, the newest version (66s & st) is out, and that baby does  everything but sign the log for you.    :laughing:

Edited by cerberus1
alles ist klar
  • Helpful 1
20 hours ago, StefandD said:

I guess the TS means the Garmin Communicator. This plug-in is unsafe, outdated and abolished.

For the 60cxs you'll need MapSource, BaseCamp, EasyGPS or GSAK to place GPX files onto your device.

I Had a heck of a time re-learning how to get my GPS to communicate and accept caches after a long time away as well.  I spent a full 24 hours learning how to update my firmware (never done it before on my 60 csx).  Had to take a 6 hour nap to get the frustrations out.  I was following all the directions but kept getting error messages.  Error messages of all various kinds.  I finally worked through each one  but it was a struggle.

Garmin Communicator plug in is still available for download.  That was the final thing I had to do as I had simply forgot about this plug in.  A newbie would have even a harder time finding out about this plug in.  I watched several youtube video's and even came here to the forums looking for directions but it was very hard to find my solutions to the error messages.  

I was almost convinced that the 60csx was and outdated piece of equipment and that I would have to upgrade but NO!!!!  Everything works as it should be.  Just like before.  The only thing missing is the link on the cache page where you can send the coords directly to the GPS.  So disappointing but I can live with that as long as my GPS is acting all brand new again after the firmware update. 

• Helpful 1
16 minutes ago, AKStafford said:

Add the caches to a list. Download Garmin Express. Connect GPS. Then go to your lists and you'll have an option to send list to GPS.

That's totally wrong. Garmin Express does not support the Gpsmap 60CSx.

Hans

• Upvote 1