don't know how to remove geocaches from my GPSmap62s

When you "find them", they change status to found and show with a different icon and not normally be visible in searches and on the map.  A list is also created on the GPS with the find, notes and dates.  Are you not logging them as found on the GPS?

Red90, I was having problems loading them Garmin express not recognizing my GPS so all the caches I loaded manually I couldn't log them as found on the GPS. With all the Garmin express updates, I can now make a list and upload them into GPS and mark them as found.

I still have all those unopened chests lingering into my unit

Pocket queries are also your friend. You can create a PQ to exclude your finds, and every time you re-run it, you can simply  download and overwrite the file on your 62s and... voila - your finds are now off the device.

But pocket queries are your friend for other reasons as well. There is a limit to the number of GPX files you can have on the device at any one time. PQs let you consolidate geocaches into fewer files - up to 1000 geocaches in one file.