Selfie required for Virtual Cache?

I'm sure this question is old, very old. But where can I find the rules which describes what is allowed to request for a log. I found a virtual cache where they want to take a picture of myself and post it. As I know this isn't allowed or at least it cannot be a criteria to log successfully. Can someone take me to the rules page? It seems I'm blind.

best Regards

https://www.geocaching.com/help/index.php?pg=kb.chapter&id=127&pgid=899

Acceptable logging tasks:

• Questions that can only be answered by visiting the location.
  • Tasks for the finder to fulfill at the location (for example, find five statues on the buildings around you and post the picture of the tallest one with your log).
  • Photos of the geocacher or personal item at the location; a face cannot be required in the photo.
10 minutes ago, joemanzh said:

I'm sure this question is old, very old. But where can I find the rules which describes what is allowed to request for a log. I found a virtual cache where they want to take a picture of myself and post it. As I know this isn't allowed or at least it cannot be a criteria to log successfully. Can someone take me to the rules page? It seems I'm blind.

best Regards

No one is getting my selfie!

• Funny 2
1 minute ago, L0ne.R said:

https://www.geocaching.com/help/index.php?pg=kb.chapter&id=127&pgid=899

Acceptable logging tasks:

• Questions that can only be answered by visiting the location.
  • Tasks for the finder to fulfill at the location (for example, find five statues on the buildings around you and post the picture of the tallest one with your log).
  • Photos of the geocacher or personal item at the location; a face cannot be required in the photo.

You are referring to Virtual Reward guideline.  There is another guideline for older virtuals but there is no information about tasks allowed.

https://www.geocaching.com/help/index.php?pg=kb.chapter&id=127&pgid=401

The right guideline is hidden somewehere. Maybe it was combined with Earthcache guidelines as they changed at the same time long long ago.

12 minutes ago, joemanzh said:

In addition to the requirements for newer Virtual Rewards posted by L0ne.R, you also have the guidelines for grandfathered cache types:

"For privacy reasons, geocachers are not required to post a photo of themselves."

You can be required to post a photo. You just can't be required to post a photo of yourself.

• Upvote 1
7 minutes ago, joemanzh said:

Great, that's what I was looking for. So now I know what to do. Well to be honest, the owner didn't really mentioned it has to be a face picture. But it should be a picture of me.

This is allowed as long as you can not be recognized from the picture. " a face cannot be required in the photo "

Edited by arisoft
On 5/16/2019 at 9:39 PM, arisoft said:

This is allowed as long as you can not be recognized from the picture. " a face cannot be required in the photo "

I think some rules and bans are stupid. How can someone delete my face or punish me for posting my photo? Where are we ?

You are welcome to post a full selfie, if you want to do that.  The guideline prevents a cache owner from requiring it.  The guideline is for the finder's benefit, for the protection of privacy rights.  If you don't like this guideline, I bet you really don't like GDPR!

• Upvote 2

I had a log deleted once because I posted a picture of the GPS in my hand. There was an alternative method of proving I was there (counting pipes) so I relogged afterwards.

I'm all for GDPR (it should even be more strict) so I wouldn't post a selfie anyway.

4 minutes ago, on4bam said:

I had a log deleted once because I posted a picture of the GPS in my hand. There was an alternative method of proving I was there (counting pipes) so I relogged afterwards.

I'm all for GDPR (it should even be more strict) so I wouldn't post a selfie anyway.

Really? I find that surprising!

3 hours ago, Max and 99 said:

That a log was deleted because you had a GPS in your hand.

I haven't tried one of those.  Is there an expectation by the COs that the location is shown on screen?  So you have a hand picture, with location dot and the formation in the background all at once?  So... they delete it if the location isn't shown in the photo... maybe...  As I said, haven't tried that.  Or maybe they don't like it if you DO show the location...

The only cache I can think that I tried of where the finder is required to post a photo of themselves was an Earthcache.  And I didn't want to answer why the river bends this way.  I mean I'm too dumb to figure it out.  I have absolutely no idea about that bend.  I can't even come up with a guess.  Also I didn't want to post a picture of myself with "Because Of Underground Rocks" or whatever my wild guess may be.  So I DNF'd the Earthcache.  I've kind of avoided Earthcaches ever since. "How much water is flowing past this site per hour".  Let's see, gotta figure out how much water is in the river right here... and the velocity...  carry the one... so... three quarts... no, seven gallons.  I mean million quarts.  No, wait...

But if I'm posting a picture of "me", it's a picture of Toothless.  I guess he'll have a GPS?

f071b1ca-4231-482a-afc8-6a9e33cf09ae_l.jpg

Edited by kunarion
  • Upvote 1
3 minutes ago, colleda said:

Why is is it a D5, did I miss something?

Probably, it was a D3.5 when I logged it.

Taking picture would make it a D1, counti g the pipes D2.5 at the most I guess. I don't look at D ratings a lot so never noticed...

1 hour ago, colleda said:

Why is is it a D5, did I miss something?

Waterfall timetable: 11:30am - 14:30pm. But due the the registered irregularity, it may be not active when you get there, thus the difficulty rate specified.

1 hour ago, on4bam said:

Yes. This log (I didn't repost the photograph). I tried not to get the DSLR wet.

I wouldn't accept this photo either. It doesn't follow instructions on the description and it could be taken in your own bathroom.

• Upvote 3
22 hours ago, on4bam said:

If it was a puzzle cache or final to a multi, and the photo of the GPS showed the coordinates on the screen, I could see why a CO might delete the log.

If you don't want to show your face then you should probably use a regular stand-in of some kind each time.

GPS are usually allowed, although I think a weak choice because they look rather generic. I have seen some folks use a distinct avatar they use each time - a doll, a stuffed animal, a decorated walking stick. One FL cacher uses a container of Ramen noodles (which is appropriately their caching name too).

That said, I dont really agree with the practice. If you're so concerned about your privacy that you wont post a picture of your face then you probably shouldn't be logging your caches online at all.

5 hours ago, arisoft said:

I wouldn't accept this photo either. It doesn't follow instructions on the description and it could be taken in your own bathroom.

Before deleting the CO asked for the answer to the question which I send within hours. He then deleted the log claiming he didn't get the emailI resend and relogged. No harm done.

I did have finds near this virtual at the same time (earthcache, multi, traditional) No need to dake photographs.

1 hour ago, NYPaddleCacher said:

If it was a puzzle cache or final to a multi, and the photo of the GPS showed the coordinates on the screen, I could see why a CO might delete the log.

It's a virtual, no coordinates to see either.

7 hours ago, JL_HSTRE said:

That said, I dont really agree with the practice. If you're so concerned about your privacy that you wont post a picture of your face then you probably shouldn't be logging your caches online at all.

Oh please, posting a photo of one's face is very different from logging finds online.

• Upvote 6
  • Helpful 1
On ‎5‎/‎18‎/‎2019 at 9:09 PM, kunarion said:

The only cache I can think that I tried of where the finder is required to post a photo of themselves was an Earthcache.

I still see quite a few EarthCaches asking for finders to upload a photo of themselves and/or of their GPSr. Just to be clear, such a requirement is no longer valid, and hasn't been for a number of years (note: that change was also retroactive, so it applies to old listings too).

10 minutes ago, The A-Team said:

I still see quite a few EarthCaches asking for finders to upload a photo of themselves and/or of their GPSr. Just to be clear, such a requirement is no longer valid, and hasn't been for a number of years (note: that change was also retroactive, so it applies to old listings too).

Couple of caches around here have the text that whatever previous ALC is no longer required, along with the original warning or two in big red text that the ALC must be posted with the log, OR ELSE.  Wait, is it required or not?  Doesn’t confuse me at all. :yikes:

• Upvote 1
13 hours ago, kunarion said:

Couple of caches around here have the text that whatever previous ALC is no longer required, along with the original warning or two in big red text that the ALC must be posted with the log, OR ELSE.  Wait, is it required or not?  Doesn’t confuse me at all. :yikes:

If you'd like that addressed, I know a guy.

• Upvote 2
  • Love 1