Groundspeak dropping support for trackables??

the Seagnoid

Trackables are great. We all love them. And yet:

Groundspeak have removed resident trackables from the GPX files (some time ago)

Groundspeak have not included trackable discoveries in the new API.

So my conclusion is - it's a conspiracy theory to slowly reduce interest in trackables so as to eventually drop support for them completely.

I used both features. Can we have them back please?

ADDENDUM: False alert - the trackable totals in the API *is* working. Trackables are still missing from the API.

Edited by the Seagnoid
  • Upvote 1
9 minutes ago, the Seagnoid said:

So my conclusion is - it's a conspiracy theory to slowly reduce interest in trackables so as to eventually drop support for them completely.

Why would GS do that?  Trackables are a revenue stream for them, so reducing interest in them seems counter-productive.

• Upvote 2
4 minutes ago, lee737 said:

Can you explain what that means to us, when finding/logging a TB?

The API (Application programming interface) is a set of queries that other applications, such as the Geocaching App, Cachly, Project-GC use to collect (or send) data. Eg to collect local caches about a set of coordinates, or to upload a find log. One of the procedures available was used by Progect-GC to collect number of trackables found by a geocacher (the missing procedure does not affect logging trackable finds, it affects the statistics Project-GC (and possibly others) use.

Most likely it will also break the checker used by some older challenge based on trackable finds.

7 minutes ago, noncentric said:

Why would GS do that?  Trackables are a revenue stream for them, so reducing interest in them seems counter-productive.

Yes! Exactly!! Why would they do that? I don't get it.

15 minutes ago, GerandKat said:

Or to reduce the server load and keep the focus on the needs player have when using the api when playing outside?

Good answer. Badly explains dropping trackable stats, but not taking trackables out of the GPX.

Does not explain why there was no announcement stating this.

Edited by the Seagnoid

This news sucks! I'm not going to pretend to understand the rationale behind the decision, but I really like TB's and Geocoins, and see them as an integral part of the Hobby that is Geocaching.

Yes I realise that this decision doesn't stop me collecting or seeking them, but I also like the stats side and am genuinely interested in seeing the stats of my TB finds.

I also fail to see how a decision like this can possibly strengthen the relationship between GS and third party applications like PGC.

Where does this info come from?

In GSAK there's full support for trackables (drop/retrieve/discover.....)

GDAK supports dropping trackables.

Both programs do this via the new API.

For the time being I consider

1 hour ago, the Seagnoid said:

fake news because it IS in the new API (and I've used the function recently).

24 minutes ago, on4bam said:

One probably source is PGC.  The developers there have stated trackable info is not in the new API, and there has been discussion of how that affects Badges and Belts.  Not sure how else the news has been communicated to the masses.  Just because you haven't heard of it, doesn't mean it's "fake news".

• Upvote 1
42 minutes ago, on4bam said:

The missing procedure has nothing to do with drop/retrieve/discover. Details in the thread above.

2 hours ago, the Seagnoid said:

Groundspeak have removed resident trackables from the GPX files (some time ago)

This is the initial post. You're correct about GPX files (but that's nothing new, it's been like that for a while)

You're not correct about the API the way you're putting it.

2 hours ago, the Seagnoid said:

The API (Application programming interface) is a set of queries that other applications, such as the Geocaching App, Cachly, Project-GC use to collect (or send) data. Eg to collect local caches about a set of coordinates, or to upload a find log. One of the procedures available was used by Progect-GC to collect number of trackables found by a geocacher (the missing procedure does not affect logging trackable finds, it affects the statistics Project-GC (and possibly others) use. 

Most likely it will also break the checker used by some older challenge based on trackable finds.

Yes! Exactly!! Why would they do that? I don't get it.

I have no idea about how PGC retrieves info  but they could work that out with GS.

30 minutes ago, the Seagnoid said:

The missing procedure has nothing to do with drop/retrieve/discover. Details in the thread above. 

Then you should correct the threat subject line as GS is not dropping support for trackables at all. From a user's perspective nothing changes, trackables are supported, can be logged (note/retrieve/drop/discover..)

The point is that Geocaching.com seems to randomly and continuously make changes to its API which in turn affects all the other apps and programmes that use it.  Project Geocaching supplies the most comprehensive stats that appeals to a large portion of geocachers that have been geocaching for more than 5 years.  This information helps me and other geocachers that have been geocaching for longer than 5 years keep motivated.  The latest change they have made has affected Project GCs ability to record stats about travel bugs and geocoins.  
It would be fantastic if Geocaching.com worked alongside programmes and apps that deliver information in a better way than their products rather than against them. 

7 minutes ago, Nosynel said:

The point is that Geocaching.com seems to randomly and continuously make changes to its API which in turn affects all the other apps and programmes that use it.

Well, you may have noticed over the years that whenever something changes at GS we never see a finished product. Users are beta-testers and anything that is changed keeps being adjusted and changed (but never until all bugs are fixed because by then there's a new unfinished "feature" to beta-test).

Looking at bug reports o the GSAK forum a lot of changes were made to the new API after it was first released and probably things are still being adjusted. Even the deadline to end the old API was pushed forward.

10 hours ago, the Seagnoid said:

I agree,  you do seem to have a conspiracy theory going, rather than waiting to see if the site will eventually come up with a standard explanation .   :)

Maybe not the cache-cow (get it ;-) they used to be, but even though folks are losing the things regularly, many are still buying more.

I don't believe that the site would continue to sell trackables but not support them.   That "shoot yourself in the foot" thing...

6 hours ago, Nosynel said:

The point is that Geocaching.com seems to randomly and continuously make changes to its API which in turn affects all the other apps and programmes that use it.  Project Geocaching supplies the most comprehensive stats that appeals to a large portion of geocachers that have been geocaching for more than 5 years.  This information helps me and other geocachers that have been geocaching for longer than 5 years keep motivated.  The latest change they have made has affected Project GCs ability to record stats about travel bugs and geocoins.  
It would be fantastic if Geocaching.com worked alongside programmes and apps that deliver information in a better way than their products rather than against them. 

What about folks caching longer than ten years,  eighteen years, two years ?     Sheesh...        :)

Edited by cerberus1
3 hours ago, SpiritGuide said:

Maybe I'm not understanding the conspiracy or maybe you are misinformed... Geooh using the new API can pull the number and the types of trackables a user has found.

What are you looking for?

Geooh is using the new API?  They had announced that the app will stop working on May 1st, but then extended that deadline to June 1st - concurrent with GS extending the API deadline.  So I'm pretty sure the Geooh Live app is not using the "new API".

ETA:  Are you talking about the new Geooh Go app?

Edited by noncentric