TB tracking number purchase

Tawnygal

I was searching on ways to create TBs and discovered recommendations that in order get the tracking number, you have to purchase a TB and use it's number on your other item. That's fair enough, I understand they're registered, but I feel like a master list of registered numbers obviously exists and we should be able to purchase a number (and thus have it removed from anyone else purchasing it) -- just as if I bought a TB, used it's number and hid the original away in my house, never to see the light of day. Rather than paying for, and waiting for, shipment on a physical tag/coin that I'll never use. I just need the number. Is it possible to buy numbers, either in singles or multiples, so they can be applied to items of our own choosing? If not, anyone else think it's a reasonable idea?

I think it's reasonable, although TBs have enough problems going missing with a clear tag dangling from them, I think a code custom added to something would make it blend in as swag and go missing even easier.... I'm surprised GS don't offer code packs, the profit margin on them would be pretty nice I suspect!

1 hour ago, lee737 said:

I think it's reasonable, although TBs have enough problems going missing with a clear tag dangling from them, I think a code custom added to something would make it blend in as swag and go missing even easier.... I'm surprised GS don't offer code packs, the profit margin on them would be pretty nice I suspect!

There are many threads around here where people have a tracking number but no tag.  Often it’s a TB or Geocoin that was lost and now being re-released into caches... with the question about how to present that tracking number.  The way to do that is with an inscribed metal tag with enough info that finders, Geocachers or not, can tell it’s a Travel Bug.  Since that’s the description of a Travel Bug, people might as well buy the Travel Bug in the first place, instead of just a number.

I’d bet selling just the number would create new questions about why there’s no included tag. :yikes:

But seriously, if someone is making trackables from scratch, Geocaching.com already offers sets of numbers.  Probably best to go that route.

Edited by kunarion
  • Upvote 1
12 hours ago, kunarion said:

There are many threads around here where people have a tracking number but no tag.  Often it’s a TB or Geocoin that was lost and now being re-released into caches... with the question about how to present that tracking number.  The way to do that is with an inscribed metal tag with enough info that finders, Geocachers or not, can tell it’s a Travel Bug.  Since that’s the description of a Travel Bug, people might as well buy the Travel Bug in the first place, instead of just a number.

I’d bet selling just the number would create new questions about why there’s no included tag. :yikes:

But seriously, if someone is making trackables from scratch, Geocaching.com already offers sets of numbers.  Probably best to go that route.

Most tracking code-only (no tag/coin) items we see are for Discover only, items carried with folks (hiking sticks, vests, hats, you name it...).

- Normal use would probably see them in the bottom with swag like others, but now without even a tag to look for.

We thought that the tracking code sets the site has sounded like a great deal, until all the other things needed to be done to it (to make it legit with the site)  come into play.

For us, it was cheaper (and a heck-of-a-lot easier) to have one of the listed manufacturers do coins for us.  :)

Once in a while Travel Bugs or other tags go on sale. Right now they're around five bucks.  Ebay's worth a look too...

I guess it's a reasonable idea if you want to buy a lot of 50 codes at a clip (@ $1.50 ea).

Had the time to create a design with details (the design is yours or permission given).

Must at least have "Track on Geocaching.com"  on each item.   Understanding trademarks and copyrights a plus.

When your artwork's completed and sent, the site will let you know in two days if it's approved, and the codes will be sent to place on each item.

You can't resell unused codes, but you can sell your trackables.   A custom icon is another $150. 

These are designed for folks who are into the manufacturing end of the hobby. 

Maybe for you it is awesome.     Cool.   :)

- But that doesn't seem like it fits  "Rather than paying for, and waiting for, shipment on a physical tag/coin that I'll never use. I just need the number. Is it possible to buy numbers, either in singles or multiples, so they can be applied to items of our own choosing? " though.

You don't want to wait for shipping,  but this is a project.          Maybe I just don't get it... 

It seems (to me) that an inexpensive trackable bought for it's code would be cheaper, and with less hassle.

The site says in those same guidelines, "To make one item trackable, browse Travel Bug® trackable sets on Shop Geocaching or one of our official retailers."   (two pretty-much said the same...) , so I doubt they'd be thinking of code-only anytime soon.

If they ever do, you can bet dollartoadonut they aren't gonna go for a buck-fifty...     ;)

Edited by cerberus1
  • Upvote 1