Neglected cache

Hi everybody I hope your all well. 

I am very new to taking part on a regular basis so I would like a little information.  

There has been a number of caches left around the islands I live in (guessing over 100) by someone that was visiting here.  After looking for a lot of them over the last few days a lot of them are waterlogged or missing. The person that placed them is not in the islands to look after them and after I said about them being damaged or missing they have asked if others can fix them.   

Is this normal practice?

if not is there a way to hide them from the map or list so I don’t look for the ones they placed?

I would only hide a cache if I could look after it my self and if on holidays I would look for others but not hide any.  

Thanks for your help 

Daness

4 minutes ago, daness said:

Hi everybody I hope your all well. 

I am very new to taking part on a regular basis so I would like a little information.  

There has been a number of caches left around the islands I live in (guessing over 100) by someone that was visiting here.  After looking for a lot of them over the last few days a lot of them are waterlogged or missing. The person that placed them is not in the islands to look after them and after I said about them being damaged or missing they have asked if others can fix them.   

Is this normal practice?

if not is there a way to hide them from the map or list so I don’t look for the ones they placed?

I would only hide a cache if I could look after it my self and if on holidays I would look for others but not hide any.  

Thanks for your help 

Daness

Hello Daness.

if you want to hide those caches from the map you can add them to your Ignore List.

You're well on track, you would do it the exact right way.

For the neglected caches post a needs maintenance log, to give the owner a chance to look afterhis cache.

After a month or so with no owner reaction you could post a needs archive log to bring the caches to reviewer attention and care will be taken. Ultimately by archiving the neglected cache.

• Upvote 1

Asking finders to maintain the caches you hide is NOT an acceptable maintenance plan.  As a reviewer, I will not publish a cache if the cache page asks for finders to help out with maintenance.  It is the Cache Owner's responsibility, period.  The CO can designate a "local maintainer," but that person needs to be in place at the time of publication.

You can log a "Needs Maintenance" log on each cache you find that is waterlogged or missing.  If the CO does not respond in a month or so, you can log a "Needs Archived" to get your local Community Volunteer Reviewer involved.  He or she may then disable the cache page.  It can then ONLY be re-enabled by the CO after maintenance is completed.  If the cache isn't re-enabled, then the Reviewer will archive the cache page.  The entire process takes about 2 or 3 months from the date of your first "Needs Maintenance" log.

As a premium member, you can place any of the caches you've described onto your "Ignore List" so that you will not see them in search results, maps, pocket queries, etc.

• Upvote 1
3 minutes ago, daness said:

Is this normal practice?

There is nothing unexpected. This is what happens when the owner can not maintain caches. Of couse it is not intented to work this way.

7 minutes ago, daness said:

When you post a DNF log after you could not find the cache, the cache icon changes to blue and helps you to skip them later.

For paying members there is option for ignoring selected cache totally. When ignored the cache disappears from the map.

1 hour ago, DerDiedler said:

You're well on track, you would do it the exact right way.

For the neglected caches post a needs maintenance log, to give the owner a chance to look afterhis cache.

After a month or so with no owner reaction you could post a needs archive log to bring the caches to reviewer attention and care will be taken. Ultimately by archiving the neglected cache.

For reference, see the Help Center article When a cache needs maintenance.

17 hours ago, daness said:

. The person that placed them is not in the islands to look after them and after I said about them being damaged or missing they have asked if others can fix them.   

Is this normal practice?

Nope, not normal.   Curious, is "asking to fix them"  actually written on the cache page  ?  

- If it is, a mail to the Reviewer can help fix this problem.    

Maintenance is left to the CO or a designated helper long-term, though most times you can add paper to keep the cache going ... until the CO gets there to do maintenance themselves. 

As PMs, we used to simply put caches we'd never do on our ignore list (hit ignore on the top right of the cache page, follow directions...).

Lately we have so many to ignore, I just ignore them on my own.  

6 minutes ago, cerberus1 said:

Nope, not normal.   Curious, is "asking to fix them"  actually written on the cache page  ?  

- If it is, a mail to the Reviewer can help fix this problem.    

Maintenance is left to the CO or a designated helper long-term, though most times you can add paper to keep the cache going ... until the CO gets there to do maintenance themselves. 

As PMs, we used to simply put caches we'd never do on our ignore list (hit ignore on the top right of the cache page, follow directions...).

Lately we have so many to ignore, I just ignore them on my own.  

This happened in my area, with the CO stating on the cache page that he was counting on others to maintain the newly published cache. The reviewer said it's fine when I asked about it.

• Surprised 3
19 minutes ago, Max and 99 said:

This happened in my area, with the CO stating on the cache page that he was counting on others to maintain the newly published cache. The reviewer said it's fine when I asked about it.

Wow.   That wouldn't fly in most areas we've been.  

19 minutes ago, Max and 99 said:

Cache description or logs on the cache page? There is a big difference because only the description is under reviewer's primary control.

9 minutes ago, arisoft said:

Cache description or logs on the cache page? There is a big difference because only the description is under reviewer's primary control.

Cache description. Brand new cache. 

This was a few years ago, by the way.

Edited by Max and 99

I thought "vacation hides" were not allowed.  I'd like to place some where we spend the winter, but at 800 miles away, wouldn't even contemplate doing so.  I did NA quite a few in that area that were placed by people wintering there, and they've all been archived.

• Helpful 1