See archived caches

Enjayen

Not officially but some 3rd party services can map archived caches. I have used this data when trying to find a place for a new cache. Recently archived cache is a good indication for a free place. You can also subscribe instant notifications for archiving logs to keep updated for new opportunities.

Edited by arisoft
  • Helpful 1
1 minute ago, Viajero Perdido said:

You can still find archived caches if you know the GC code, or by trolling through a finder's list of finds, or a hider's list of hides.

This is a good idea. If you bookmark all archived finds from some local veteran geocacher you may get an almost complete list on the official map. Then you have to keep it updated using notifications.

3 hours ago, arisoft said:

This is a good idea. If you bookmark all archived finds from some local veteran geocacher you may get an almost complete list on the official map. Then you have to keep it updated using notifications.

I actually enjoy looking through some of the older User accounts and see where they had caches at one time.  Sometimes it yields some interesting results that lead to some exploration on my own.  Tends to only work with some of the early adopters that were more prolific hiders.  I'm sure then, just as now, there were many people that placed one or two caches and then never came back to the site.  The very first cache in my County was like that.   A one and done sort of thing.  I only found the original Listing page due to one of the old timers Find log on the Listing.

• Upvote 2

Yes, if a location is interesting but the cache becomes archived because the CO has moved or whatever, great opportunity to place a new cache. I have done this for a couple of caches, and the former owners back in the region for a holiday, were very pleased to make a new find..... One was within 15 minutes of being published as it was near their family home!

13 hours ago, Touchstone said:

I actually enjoy looking through some of the older User accounts and see where they had caches at one time. 

Agreed.

Here, many of the older long-gone folks had caches that were in areas we're really interested in.

A couple from '00 to '03 had caches at some awesome views that folks just don't typically walk to anymore.

Since we can't seem to find a day it isn't pouring lately (and two more Dr. visits...), this thread's a good reminder to see if it's possible to "re-create" some of those old spots.  :)

• Upvote 1