Sign in to follow this  
Followers 2
EdenRike

Geocaching is not accepting my coordinates 

Posted (edited)

I have tried many formats but geocaching.com is not accepting them when I want to edit the multi cache locations by coordinates 

My coordinates  I have

N 1° 20' 41.156904"

E 103° 52' 8.267207"

Can anyone convert them into a way that is DDM or a way geocaching.com can understand?

Edited by EdenRike
grammar

Just now, EdenRike said:

I have tried many formats but geocaching.com is not accepting them when I want to edit the multi cache locations by coordinates 

My coordinates  I have

N 1° 20' 41.156904"

E 103° 52' 8.267207"

Can anyone convert them into a way that is DDM or a way geocachibg.com can understand?

I have a screenshot aswell

Screen Shot 2019-05-13 at 7.58.58 PM.png

An internet search should be able to provide several possibilities for a coordinate conversion website. 

The other option, if you're using a handheld gps unit, is to merely go into the menu options and change the format on the units, to one of the coordinate standards that the website can understand.

If your using a smart phone app of some sort, I would suggest looking for a different app.

• Surprised 1

Nah thx for the help but it hasn't fixed my problem 

As shown in the screenshot above I used the same app for the final stage but for some reason it didn't work for stage 2

Posted (edited)
There are 60 seconds in a minute so dividing the seconds by 60 will give you the decimal portion of the minute.

N 1° 20' 41.156904" = N 1 20.686

E 103° 52' 8.267207" = E 103 52.138

Edited by icezebra11
  • Upvote 1
  • Helpful 1

Posted (edited)
37 minutes ago, icezebra11 said:
There are 60 seconds in a minute so dividing the seconds by 60 will give you the decimal portion of the minute.

N 1° 20' 41.156904" = N 1 20.686

E 103° 52' 8.267207" = E 103 8.138

Was just about to post the same thing.

You posted you're using a phone app to obtain coordinates.  If you don't need degrees minutes seconds for some other use, recommend you go into your settings and convert to degrees and decimal minutes, usually shown as DDD MM.MMM format.  What you have above is degrees minutes seconds, sometimes shown something like DDD MM SS.SS.

Edited by hzoi
  • Helpful 1

1 hour ago, IceColdUK said:

Sorry I quoted before I tried and have it one more go.

The website that I quoted here above works all I had to do was paste the coordinates into the simple coordinates box or something like that and it converted it into any formats. I found the DDM and it worked on the Geocaching website. Ok not I had to change the location as it was inside that red radius from a other cause. 

Thanks k you so much to everyone who helped out in this where it worked or not. I was really stuck when it woklndt accept my coordinates.

Thanks again

Eden

• Upvote 1
  • Helpful 1

The 52' was left out of the longitude: should be E 103 52.138

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, Joe_L said:

The 52' was left out of the longitude: should be E 103 52.138

Thanks for the catch, I edited my post.

The DMS (degree/minute/second, or decimal second) format is rare and can be frustrating to deal with.  Geocaching's basic format is DDM (degree/decimal minute) and easy to spot and type without needing the non-standard degree symbol, and most every website understands that format.  The next up is just decimal degree which is the most basic numeric format and easiest to provide the highest precision (like 43.1234567,-80.1234567).

We have an organization in Ontario that does a geotour type adventure each year, and they even got confused. IIRC, someone used maybe google maps, took the DM format values, but just broke the numbers up into the DMS format without doing the 60-min/sec divisors, and the coordinates were both not typical (for geocachers at least) and incorrect themselves. The community contacted them and even produced the correct list of coordinates in DDM format and shared for anyone who wanted to do that tour. But all the pamphlets and passports were already printed. #oops.

It's definitely beneficial to understand the construction of coordinates, how to recognize them and how to convert between them :)