Query did not download as gpx file

jrwallnuts

Hi - I am looking for clues or suggestions - not sure what I did. I was trying to download a new pocket query and when I clicked to open, I got a whole drop down list of how do I want to open - Adobe, Internet Explorer, Note Pad, Movie editor, Paint, etc. This has never happened before. I tried shutting down and restarting; deleting the query and trying again. I even deleted my Garmin Express and re-added it and also downloaded EasyGPS. I was just used to dragging and dropping my new queries from my email into my device - now I don't know what to do or even know what happened.

10 hours ago, jrwallnuts said:

download a new pocket query and when I clicked to open, I got a whole drop down list of how do I want to open - Adobe, Internet Explorer, Note Pad, Movie

This isn't happening from Geocaching.com's end, it's still the same file as ever.

Look  carefully on that prompt box that offers "open" options - I bet there's a SAVE FILE option. And hopefully an option for you  to indicate where to save, not just dump it into some Downloads file.  If your gps is plugged in, you may be able to save directly to it.

Edited by Isonzo Karst
13 hours ago, jrwallnuts said:

Hi - I am looking for clues or suggestions - not sure what I did. I was trying to download a new pocket query and when I clicked to open, I got a whole drop down list of how do I want to open - Adobe, Internet Explorer, Note Pad, Movie editor, Paint, etc. This has never happened before. I tried shutting down and restarting; deleting the query and trying again. I even deleted my Garmin Express and re-added it and also downloaded EasyGPS. I was just used to dragging and dropping my new queries from my email into my device - now I don't know what to do or even know what happened.

This greatly depends on what your system is and what your GPS is, and how you got your “Pocket Query”. But Garmin Express is not for managing downloaded zipped pocket queries, it's for sending “Lists” of caches directly to a Garmin GPS (and it does GPS updates).

“Easy GPS” may occupy the file associations, so Easy GPS starts when you double-click the file rather than Windows “unzipping” Pocket Queries with a double-click. Be sure to install only what you actually use.

In Windows 10, run the Pocket Query, wait for it to run, and then download the Pocket Query “Zip” file to the PC. Next, unzip the file. There are several ways to manage a Zip file, but here's an idea. Unzip it by right-clicking the Zip file, and in the window that appears, select “Open”. You'll see typically two GPX files, Select them both. For a Garmin GPS, copy/paste (or drag & drop) GPX files into the folder Garmin/GPX on the USB-connected GPS.

Edited by kunarion