How does your home zone looks like?

Hi there,

Im currently trying to find as many caches in my home zone (~5-6,5 km radius) as possible.

I’m curious how other people’s home zones look like. Have you found all the caches in there already? Are there many caches near the place you live or not?

I personally have quite a few caches around me.

This is how my home zone currently looks like:47862B21-6A8E-4E4D-8D75-6DCD44F94167.jpeg.c3e913f1edab066708ecbb27e0c84c97.jpeg

Greetings from Germany :D

4 hours ago, maaliinw said:

Im currently trying to find as many caches in my home zone (~5-6,5 km radius) as possible.

I’m curious how other people’s home zones look like. Have you found all the caches in there already? Are there many caches near the place you live or not?

I've been trying to stay away from the caches in my "home zone", with no interest in nondescript hides.   :)

Similar to thebruceO's explanation,  we've around 80 now within 3 miles, but if archived were included, it'd be easily three-times that.

-  Starting a bit later, you probably have a bunch like that yourself. That "looks like a good spot..." every few years thing...     :D

They'll stay that way, most unfound,  and used only for an easy find on a souvenir day.

Most my walking's in the woods, but my "home zone" already seems much more rural than others here. 

Other side of the state,  yet still similar to CachedIronSkillet.  We've seen that change to the extremes closer to cities you get ...

Here's my local area, the Woy Woy Peninsula on the New South Wales Central Coast (Australia). Not very many caches, about a third of them are mine, the only ones I haven't found are two puzzles that have so far eluded me and a front yard traditional at Blackwall I'm trying to avoid (I don't like front yard caches).

image.png.6342b7ad63dbb3c49385523ecef013e2.png

I've got a picture resembling one by barefootjeffno need to attach it. And I always prefer to leave some caches untouched in my area. Those are for cases when some guests arrive and say "hey, let's go geocaching!" - and I respond with "ok, I've got most of caches found in my city and around it but actually there are some that are still waiting..."

5 hours ago, -CJ- said:

And I always prefer to leave some caches untouched in my area. Those are for cases when some guests arrive and say "hey, let's go geocaching!" - and I respond with "ok, I've got most of caches found in my city and around it but actually there are some that are still waiting..."

Interesting. When I introduce people to geocaching, I often take them to caches that I've already found, because that way I'm fairly confident that the cache they find will give a fairly good impression of what geocaching is.

• Upvote 1
13 hours ago, niraD said:

Interesting. When I introduce people to geocaching, I often take them to caches that I've already found, because that way I'm fairly confident that the cache they find will give a fairly good impression of what geocaching is.

I should make it clear: I was talking about geocachers from other cities/countries that don't need to be introduced to the game but want to hunt for some caches in my city with me. 

4 minutes ago, -CJ- said:

I should make it clear: I was talking about geocachers from other cities/countries that don't need to be introduced to the game but want to hunt for some caches in my city with me. 

Ah, yeah that's a different situation entirely.

Current home map in Germany.  Most of these finds are since we moved back last summer, though a few finds here and there are from when we started caching here from 2007-2009.  A target-rich environment, to be sure.

Capture.thumb.JPG.1467ee2bd21a80eeba77e8cabecf51ef.JPG

Our last home map for comparison.  Other than a handful of puzzles we couldn't solve, we at least tried for all of 'em, so most of those that aren't either a yellow smile or blue frown are new since we left.

Capture.thumb.JPG.944ddbe4ad518c67ea110750e179b7fc.JPG

I see that there are quite a few puzzles' final locations revealed in some of the above images. I have cropped my home zone so as not to include anything revealing, though I doubt anyone would make use of the information anyway.

XIgHJfx.png

I know some folks in my area who have likely turned the entire greater Seattle area yellow through their caching exploits. I'd love to see some of their find maps. They're quite nice to look at. 

On 5/10/2019 at 8:47 AM, maaliinw said:

Hi there,

I personally have quite a few caches around me.

This is how my home zone currently looks like:47862B21-6A8E-4E4D-8D75-6DCD44F94167.jpeg.c3e913f1edab066708ecbb27e0c84c97.jpeg

Greetings from Germany :D

Not sure why you need to cover up the town/city names. Anyone can GSAK your logs and see about which area you live in.  You got no privacy on GC.com. A fat zero.  Every logs you make on GC.com is searchable. And it's really easy to do it.

been caching for 16 years, still a few I have not found, i like to leave some when i need one close for a promo.

so here is my 1km map. looking forward to summer caching...that is if it stops raining! lol i actually cache in the rain

Screen Shot 2019-05-30 at 9.24.55 AM.png

this is the third time this came up, here is a link to the previous posts, neat how the map changes over the years

Edited by spotter/g

In the Dayton Ohio area, ours looks like this. The blue areas are paths of some the Memorial Day tornadoes. We live in the area between the paths of the 2 tornado's who's paths pass thru Shiloh and Englewood. An EF4 passed half a mile south of us. An EF3 a mile north. We are VERY lucky to have no damage (no power for 3 days) but the area around us has been devastated. For those that have only seen tornado damage on TV or in pictures I can tell you that pictures have nowhere near the impact as seeing it in person. Also the amount of community joining together is totally awesome.   

cd746c41-2384-4dc3-916f-3ab80c22956e.jpeg

On 5/17/2019 at 11:57 PM, SwineFlew said:

Not sure why you need to cover up the town/city names. Anyone can GSAK your logs and see about which area you live in.  You got no privacy on GC.com. A fat zero.  Every logs you make on GC.com is searchable. And it's really easy to do it.

yeah, your probably right, I haven’t thought of that. Still it was a bit scary for me to post it without the “cover up” since you could see quite accurately where my parent’s house is. I guess I am a bit poranoid, haha.