Get a list of DNFs I HAVEN'T subsequently found

gasbottle

I'm on a mission.

I want to find all those caches I have previously logged a DNF for. For this I need a list of these caches. I can get a list of my DNF logs, but that includes caches where I have logged a find later.

What I want is a list of my DNFs that I haven't subsequently found, so that I can concentrate on those.

Pocket Queries don't seem to deliver, unless there's something I've overlooked.

The maps show a blue un-smiley for these caches, so the information is somewhere.

Is there a menu option I haven't found, or maybe a public API I can use?

A simple download of the information I want in CSV format would be ideal. I'd settle for a download of all my logs in CSV or JSON (or XML if I must) that I can sort and filter.

Thanks in advance for any help ?

Note: I never got along with GSAK, and I don't want to start now.

Edited by gasbottle

This is something that ought to work with the new search map, but doesn't. You can create a bookmark list of your DNFs then map that list - so far so good. The map then allows you to apply filters so you ought to be able to then say just show the ones you haven't found, but no, the moment you apply any filters, it forgets it's mapping a list and instead shows all the caches within view that match the filter.

39 minutes ago, barefootjeff said:

You can create a bookmark list of your DNFs then map that list - so far so good.

How do you create a bookmark list of your DNFs? The only way I can see is to view the list of your DNF logs, and then add each cache one-at-a-time to a bookmark list. If you're doing that, then you could easily omit the ones that you've subsequently found. (There should be a big "Found It!" in the top right corner of the cache page, near the "Add to list" link.)

And once you've got a list, you can view it and the caches you've since found will have a found.png icon, and you can select those and remove them from this list.

3 minutes ago, niraD said:

How do you create a bookmark list of your DNFs? The only way I can see is to view the list of your DNF logs, and then add each cache one-at-a-time to a bookmark list. If you're doing that, then you could easily omit the ones that you've subsequently found. (There should be a big "Found It!" in the top right corner of the cache page, near the "Add to list" link.)

Okay, in looking at the other thread kunarion linked to, I just assumed doing that was the easy bit but, um, of course, it isn't, unless there's something else I haven't found yet. Wouldn't it be nice if, in all places where the site produces a list of caches, there was an option to add them to a list?

• Upvote 1
  • Helpful 1

Thanks for the input so far. I'd really hoped to find a solution that doesn't involve manually adding items to a list. I've no idea how big the list would be, and given that the information is available in the maps, it would be nice if I could get to it.

My best idea so far is to download the HTML list from All Logs and parse the HTML somehow. If I do this, is there then any way to upload a list of caches into a list?

5 hours ago, gasbottle said:

I've no idea how big the list would be, and given that the information is available in the maps, it would be nice if I could get to it.

You can get the total number of your DNFs quite quickly from your profile. This also shows those caches which have been archived so you may find that you are dealing with a much smaller number. 

8 hours ago, gasbottle said:

My best idea so far is to download the HTML list from All Logs

this is the same problem... there's only a ALL logs option for caches you've found. It's a My Finds query.  There are ways to do this in GSAK, but you've nixed that.

You have around 2000 finds - this suggests that you'll have around 200 DNFS (rough average of 10%, you could be well off that...)

Here's that link again DNFS LIST

Any that are archived (redlined) ignore,  any that you recall finding ignore. Open the rest and bookmark.   .  Open, if smiley face in upper right close, if not click Add to list. Once you've done that the first time,, the correct list will be the default. Each cache will take a second, literally.  You could do this in very short order.

I recently passed my 500 DNF's milestone (#ISAG) so this question is near and dear to me.

Since the introduction of bookmark lists 15 or so years ago, I have kept a bookmark list of all my DNF's that includes a running count of DNF's that I later resolved with a "found it."  I love being able to show a map of that bookmark list, so that I can see my incompetence displayed worldwide in graphic form.  Once you invest the time to create the list, it's fun and easy to maintain.

• Upvote 1
  • Helpful 1

I´ve found a way, but it´s not a beauty :D And it might have translation errors since I run Excel in German.

1. got to all logs for geocaches and show all find logs
  2. mark and copy all
  3. paste to a empty excel shet and chose paste mode "match target format"
  4. Draw a visible Line under the last line, I used red for the entire line
  5. do the same with all logs for DNF and paste under the line
  6. Mark the column with the cachename (I know, it´s not 100% given that there are more caches with the same name)
  7. Run the "delete duplicate" Funtion

Now all caches remain under the red line are DNF's with no subsequent found.

It might help to chose the copy option "match target format to get rid of images (like smileys) and links to slim down the data.

Maybe one can extract the GC-Codes from GSAK or so, might be easier to copy. But I dont use that so..... just maybe ;)

Edited by DerDiedler
On 5/10/2019 at 12:26 PM, The Leprechauns said:

I recently passed my 500 DNF's milestone (#ISAG) so this question is near and dear to me.

Congrats on the milestone, and thanks for reminding me it was about time I updated my DNF pride count on my profile !

yoda-mistakemay19.jpg.93eca79ea49930e046b0be181f46193d.jpg

I take the statistic straight from the DNF log count on the website (so it includes the 200+ caches I've DNF'd which have since been archived)  , therefore a few will be repeated DNFs on the same cache , but hey, they're all visits and non-finds, so they all count for my purpose.

If I was only interested in currently available caches, then GSAK  easily yields that info ( 238 caches)  , just as it has a macro which gives my DNF to found it list of 201 caches.

The O.P. said they didn't get on with GSAK though, so I'll not elaborate .

Well, I set to, working down the list of DNFs from the report gleaned from my profile. There are about 250 on that list, but about 50 have been archived. This isn't so bad, I thought, as I clicked, clicked, clicked, adding remaining DNFs to a list.

After about 50 I got bored. I cast about for a way to make the clicking process less time consuming, but nothing much worked so I went a different route.

I opened the All Logs page from my profile and saved it to my computer. Then I uploaded it into a script I wrote in PHP that parses the HTML into something I can manipulate. From there, the script scanned by date, oldest first, picking out DNF logs unless they'd been archive) and dropping them if a subsequent Found log appeared. Finally, turn the list into a series of links I can display - a total of 24.

It took me around an hour to knock up the script in PHP, which is probably longer than it would have taken me to do the job by hand, but was less tedious. It has the advantage that I can run this again at some time in the future to produce a new list.

A good portion of the time spent on this was working out how to parse the HTML, which brings me to a supplementary question:

Is there a way I can download this same information in some other format? CSV or JSON would do.

If not, is there somewhere I can submit a feature request?

On ‎5‎/‎9‎/‎2019 at 7:44 PM, gasbottle said:

Note: I never got along with GSAK, and I don't want to start now.

Me neither, but since it's currently "free", I installed GSAK, and grabbed a list of caches out to 15 miles from home.  And I just now noticed about two dozen "DNFs" are listed, which I grouped by clicking the sort button.  I have a lot more DNFs than that, except the ones listed are the unredeemed ones!  That is, I did nothing else, I still have not figured out how to use GSAK.  But the DNFs that I have not yet found are right there already. 

Anyway, because I don't know what I'm doing, I have no idea how to make a CSV file out of what I see there.  Also, this list of course doesn't include DNFs outside of my database.  But it's 99% of all my unredeemed DNFs.

• Helpful 1
On ‎5‎/‎11‎/‎2019 at 8:33 AM, hal-an-tow said:

If I was only interested in currently available caches, then GSAK  easily yields that info ( 238 caches)  , just as it has a macro which gives my DNF to found it list of 201 caches.

The O.P. said they didn't get on with GSAK though, so I'll not elaborate .

OK, that adds a leetle hitch in my amazing GSAK discovery, because I don't know for sure that my database includes any DNFs that I never found and that became archived.  But the OP can't "concentrate on" the archived caches anyway, so maybe those don't need to be in the list.

7 hours ago, kunarion said:

OK, that adds a leetle hitch in my amazing GSAK discovery, because I don't know for sure that my database includes any DNFs that I never found and that became archived.  But the OP can't "concentrate on" the archived caches anyway, so maybe those don't need to be in the list.

A red GC code is disabled, red with a line through it is archived. To keep from hijacking this thread feel free to send me a message.

Screenshot.thumb.jpg.e1eaabe01d0a4b9ff92c49307291eb59.jpg

• Helpful 1