Trackable left at archived event

EmzyJanezy

Hi there

I have received an email to say that an event my trackable was dropped at has been archived.

I wondered what this means.  Well, I understand the event has passed and been archived but the event shows a lot of trackables listed there.  Have geocachers dropped trackables at an event, left them all there, and those that weren't retrieved / grabbed have just been thrown away?  Surely that's not right?

Anybody experienced this and can advise please?  Seems a shame and a bit poor practise.

27 minutes ago, EmzyJanezy said:

Hi there

I have received an email to say that an event my trackable was dropped at has been archived.

I wondered what this means.  Well, I understand the event has passed and been archived but the event shows a lot of trackables listed there.  Have geocachers dropped trackables at an event, left them all there, and those that weren't retrieved / grabbed have just been thrown away?  Surely that's not right?

Anybody experienced this and can advise please?  Seems a shame and a bit poor practise.

Somebody has it and just hasn't logged it yet.  The event organizers should have any trackables that no-one else took.

12 minutes ago, NanCycle said:

Somebody has it and just hasn't logged it yet.  The event organizers should have any trackables that no-one else took.

I agree.  It happened to me recently too and finally the TB got logged. Frustrating indeed.

I would think it's highly unlikely that the TBs would be thrown away!

1 hour ago, EmzyJanezy said:

Hi there

If I see one of my TBs approaching an Event, I'll try to set it on a different course.  Events are tough on TBs.

But yours might just be waiting for its log.  People going to an Event may have traveled, and then may delay their logs.  I've seen a lot of Event "Drop" logs for TBs that aren't actually placed into the box at an Event.  They were in the cacher's Inventory who may still hold the TB.

If it's a big Event, and if a bunch of TBs are physically dumped there, it can overwhelm the Event organizer.  It can also overwhelm the poor fool who agrees to take a bunch and log them.  People don't realize how much extra work a TB is.  Plus, they may end up with some TBs that have scrambled logs (the TB was in the box but not yet properly logged).  So there's this mess to clean up before they ever get around to logging yours.

And here's a cute story.  My TB "Dark Mickey" was dropped into an Event, and accrued no further logs.  Five years ago.  I'm sure yours won't evaporate like that.   :ph34r:

• Upvote 1
40 minutes ago, kunarion said:

If I see one of my TBs approaching an Event, I'll try to set it on a different course.  Events are tough on TBs.

But yours might just be waiting for its log.  People going to an Event may have traveled, and then may delay their logs.  I've seen a lot of Event "Drop" logs for TBs that aren't actually placed into the box at an Event.  They were in the cacher's Inventory who may still hold the TB.

If it's a big Event, and if a bunch of TBs are physically dumped there, it can overwhelm the Event organizer.  It can also overwhelm the poor fool who agrees to take a bunch and log them.  People don't realize how much extra work a TB is.  Plus, they may end up with some TBs that have scrambled logs (the TB was in the box but not yet properly logged).  So there's this mess to clean up before they ever get around to logging yours.

And here's a cute story.  My TB "Dark Mickey" was dropped into an Event, and accrued no further logs.  Five years ago.  I'm sure yours won't evaporate like that.   :ph34r:

Wow!  Dark Mickey and 96 other trackable!

I don't want to be the wet blanket here, but we've seen many examples of one person carting all those trackables off too.  

- Not to mention the hoarder who arrives with a bag full of other people's property trackables so "everyone can have fun logging them !"

We'd like to believe that all cachers present simply haven't gotten around to log them yet.

One Discover logged ten days later...   Only two Discovers on a trackable dropped at an event seems a bit odd (to me).

- But good luck.   :)

• Helpful 1
  • Love 1
12 hours ago, kunarion said:

I sent my sister a Furby attached to a TB tag.  It took about a year for it to make it to Maine.  She attached to take to a lawn flamingo, camouflaged by being painted green.  That took a year to make it to an event in New Hampshire.  It was left at the event, and has been missing since 2006.  My guess is that it was left at the restaurant, and the restaurant owner threw it out. 

Florida.jpg

On 5/10/2019 at 8:09 AM, kunarion said:

Dropped at a mega, yet nobody discovered it? I highly doubt that TB was ever physically at that event....