Add an Atlantic Ocean cache

Hello,

I send a bottle in the middle of the Atlantic while I was crossing the Ocean in January on the schooner Avontuur (TIMBERCOAST). I didn't go time to log my Travel bug before. 

https://www.geocaching.com/track/details.aspx?id=5847989 (Here the Travel bug page)

I write down the exact coordinate from where I dropped the bottle to the sea. I would like to add the first long with those coordinates but I can't. I would like aswell to add as a country "International Water" or "Atlantic Ocean".

Does an Admin can do that for this special "cache":)?

Thanks you!

avontuur-1170x658.jpg

Caches are expected to remain at the posted coordinates for other people to search out and find.  And, travel bugs only track movement from one geocache to another.  So, there is no site functionality for what you are trying to do.

Edited by Keystone
  • Upvote 1
  • Helpful 1

It's unfortunate that the only way to associate location information with a TB is associating it with a cache via a drop or visit log. I was surprised and disappointed by that the first time I logged a car TB after carefully noting the car's location yet being unable to attach that information to the log. All you can do is put the coordinates as text into the log. That'll provide the information but, yes, alas, the location won't show up on a map.

(You're dreaming if you think anyone will ever see this TB again, but I'll be dreaming right along with you because it would be really cool for it to be found again!)

• Upvote 2
29 minutes ago, Keystone said:

Direct link to OP's profile.

No reason to cast aspersions due to the fact that the account underwent a name change, and the forums are a separate server/login.

No aspersions being cast! I was just trying to see if he had figured out how to log that TB, but couldn't locate him. Then, I came right back and amended my post when I found him. No bad connotation intended here.

1 hour ago, GeoTrekker26 said:

How is stating a fact casting aspersions?  It wouldn't be the first time the web site wasn't able to find a user.

1.  When it's not a fact.

2.  When it's irrelevant to the "How do I...?" question that was asked.

Hooray, another hijacked thread.  Have fun with it.

• Upvote 1

I was at an Event many years ago with a somewhat similar idea, but also not very conducive to Listing anything on the site (Cache or Trackable).  They launched a balloon with a gps payload attached, and then were able to track the balloon direction, speed, and altitude.  Looked kind of fun.  Too bad a little more thought wasn't put in the idea to be able to track the bottle.   That would still require some offsite solution, but you could certainly track its progress across the ocean on the Trackable page.  Maybe next trip :)

15 hours ago, GuillaumePaulMarcel said:

I write down the exact coordinate from where I dropped the bottle to the sea. I would like to add the first long with those coordinates but I can't. I would like aswell to add as a country "International Water" or "Atlantic Ocean".

Your TB is similar to the way a car TB works. Except that the area is vast, and the number of potential finders is extra small. Actually, it seems that the “Mission” is that a single person is to find it.  You don't even display a photo of the bottle!  I guess that would spoil the surprise. :P

People may log a “Discover” on a car TB, but they rarely add a specific location. Maybe an intersection, or Event or a city, but not coordinates. You only get that specific if it's placed into a Geocache. In this instance, that one person might provide location information. Does he next place it into a new bottle and drop it in the ocean?